Author Topic: A question about the character Fideal.  (Read 6492 times)

Sylvia_Hui

• Tool Wrangler
A question about the character Fideal.
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:14:43 pm »
Just curious but i thought Fideal was the name of the female Fuath that lived in Loch na Fideil in Gairloch.

So can Aiden change from male/female as well as kelpie/bog monster-ish like some Fuath or is he just male?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:35:36 pm by Elle »

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Iron Kissed spoiler : about the Fae
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:25:27 pm »
My trusted souces made no mention of its sex -- and although some people think it's a variation of a Fuath (and most fuath who consort much with humans are female) many of the characteristics of the Fideal seem not to match up exactly with the Fuath.  So I felt free to pick the Fideal's sex.  Folklore is an odd thing, so many people have played with it for so long, it is impossible to make them "correct".  In addition to making it male (because I wanted to <grin>) I also gave it the horselike shape that many of the bog fae have (fuath are, in some researcher's books, varients of the Kelpie and have a horse/pony alternate shape).   The first source I read that named it femal was Brian Froud's, I believe, his Good Fairy/Bad Fairy book has a painting of the Fideal as a female (saw it after I'd already made it male and thought cool, but felt no need to change :)  )  There may indeed be a definitive source that names it female  (mine are pretty vague on details), but, since I am a fiction writer, not a folklore researcher, no one (I hope) should take my stories as cannon. 

There is also no reason to suppose that Nemane would be blind -- but I had a picture in my head of a blind crow.

Best wishes,
Patty