Author Topic: Banned Book Week!  (Read 20341 times)

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
Re: Banned Book Week!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:01 am »
For some reason, I've always been attracted to post-holocaust stories. I think maybe
it's the MacGyver/Red Green in me that likes making things with available materials.
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 09:57:13 am »
I don't have any problem with that part, but it was the way (and again, the book may be entirely different, knowing how Hollywood is) the movie said basically "Nukes deployed, everyone dies.  Just some faster than others."
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:06:31 am »
That's pretty much the formula for post-holocaust stories.  LOL
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:17:32 am »
Nnno, not to me.  The 'rebuild out of the ashes' and hope for future clean world is available, and in use, many, many places.
--which has zip to do with banned books/BBW.
Unless we want to hunt down the number/some titles of different examples of the two sub-genres that have been banned?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »
Banned Books Week in the US this year is September 28th through October 6th. Check with your local library and bookstore to see what events they are planning and offer to help. Also, The American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression will be repeating last year's event, Net Read-Out. In conjunction with booksellers and other interested people, more than 800 videos of people reading from banned books were posted on YouTube. Interested? Click here.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:21 pm »
Oh, good, you weighed in on this.  I so much prefer if this kind of event is announced in advance so we can plan to participate in them.

Temari

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • The cup is half full.
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:48 pm »
So Green Eggs and Ham describes early Marxism? Must say, that one passed me by.  LOL

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 08:54:42 am »
I seem to have missed that nuance as well. :-\

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 06:52:57 am »
I enjoyed Catch-22.  I'm getting Brave New World mentally mixed up with "On the Beach" which movie they made us watch in high school, apparently attempting to turn the kids off of SF.

You didn't like "On the beach"?
Loved that movie as a kid; the remake is boring, though. And there's another book I have to put on my (already to long) to-read list.
I think I read somewhere that "Brave new world" was banned in Britain, if I recall that right.

The ALA's got some lists of banned/challenged books up too. http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/21stcenturychallenged
So, the Hunger Games is satanic?  LOL
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:19 am »
I don't have any problem with that part, but it was the way (and again, the book may be entirely different, knowing how Hollywood is) the movie said basically "Nukes deployed, everyone dies.  Just some faster than others."

No, I did not like "On the Beach."

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:59 am »
No, I did not like "On the Beach."

Well, it was exactly that pessimism of the Doomsday-Movies that appealed to me as a kid. :D
For me the idea of humans purging themselves from the face of the earth always had something uplifting.  ;D
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:30 am »
To each their own.  You can have my copy.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:55 am »
[...]For me the idea of humans purging themselves from the face of the earth always had something uplifting.  ;D

Me too for some odd reason. :-[ :P

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »
Looking at the list that includes a lot of young adult books: I can almost see the logic behind some of them, although I think banning books is ridiculous, but some of them baffle me. Whoever said To Kill A Mockingbird is racist apparently missed a couple major plot points. And how in the world do you construe Hunger Games as Satanic? If you don't want your kid reading the book, don't let them read the book. Don't try and spoil everyone else's fun.  9)
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 02:57:20 am »
If you don't want your kid reading the book, don't let them read the book. Don't try and spoil everyone else's fun.  9)

That reminds me of a bit in a short story by Keith Laumer... the Devil was trying to recruit a human mathematician, and telling him (correctly, for the story) that things had gotten confused. He was in charge of sin, not evil. Sin was defined as doing things that other people didn't want you to do, as opposed to actual evil.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia