Author Topic: Suggestions Welcomed  (Read 34304 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Suggestions Welcomed
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »
This is Mike - and I'm supposed to be maintaining this system.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty clueless with most web technologies.  Yup, another old geezer that can't use the internet :o

I'm not sure how most folks run their forums.  I don't know which major topics I should post, or frankly even whether you guys have the permissions you need to start new topics etc.   However, while my ignorance is vast, I'm a fairly bright guy, and I'm happy to learn.  So, tell me what I should be doing, or what I'm doing wrong, and I'll try to fix it. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:58:44 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Suggestions Welcomed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:24 pm »
Gre Drakkon:
Thanks.  I'm clueless, and spent about twenty minutes reading documentation before I fired this thing up.  Obviously my forum-fu is at the white-belt level.  If I have problems, I'll definitely ask for assistance.

There's an announcements section already in place (thanks to the creators of this program) which only the admin can edit, but I haven't posted anything there yet (sigh).

Slacker.  >;D 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »
"Forum-fu" I'll have to remember that one.

This is a nice board. It's simple but it does have a lot of features, I've mostly used free message boards like Excoboard. I think it'd be fun to have different kinds of user names instead of Newbie, like Mechanic or something along those lines.

Hurog Means Dragon.

Fairyfreak

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:12 am »
No real suggestions, but I'd like to thank you for setting up the forum.   ;D  Also, thanks for the updates you post on the web, it's always fun to read what's going on with my favorite authors! 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:51:27 pm »
Definitely bare bones right now, but like I said chock full of great functions. I've been experimenting with it, trying to see what all is possible with the board. It'll be interesting to see when you do start customizing what you come up with down the road palette-wise.

One question though, Mike, what's the avatar sizing? Is it 65X65? I was wondering if it's possible to make it any bigger than that? Maybe 100X100 pixels? Which is not too big, but big enough to do a bit of detail in the avatar.
Hurog Means Dragon.

AnemicOak

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:02:41 am »
I think you'll want to have an ask the author section for Patty where she can go & answer questions, as time allows, like the chat.  If you make folks aware it the only place on the board where they can be absolutely sure their question will be seen by her it'll make things easier for you/her when the forum takes off.  Kinda how Kelly Armstrong has her board set up. http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

I know you mentioned Hamilton's forum, which can get kinda nasty, but Hamilton also doesn't read or participate in them at all & they've gotten pretty good @ moderating those really offensive posts out.  I can understand Patty not wanting to read junk like that, but hopefully she'll look at folks like Kelley Armstrong & Charlaine Harris & see how positive their forums are.

~Brian

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 09:22:00 am »
AnemicOak:
That's a great idea.  If Patty decides to keep the forums (and I'm pretty sure she will) I'll do that.  Having a single message area for Patty to interact with folks with would make great sense.

Thanks also for the reference -- I could definitely learn a few things from Kelly Armstrong's board.   Someday I'm also going to need to learn how to customize these forums so they don't look quite so generic. 
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 12:55:48 pm »
FairyFreak:
Thank you for the feedback.  I had hoped to have a bit more time to get to know the forum software before many people were using it -- I've very surprised by how quickly people have started using these forums.

There are doubtless many things that should be improved.  Unfortunately, I work on computers all day, and at night I'm usually working on the farm, so my time is a bit short.  I'll try to start customizing these forums in the next week or two, and I'll definitely check out Jim Butcher's forums (by the way, Jim Butcher ROCKS!).

Thanks again, and I'll try to make some improvements in the near future.

Mike
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:40:14 am »
Following the excellent suggestions posted here, I've added the "Ask Patty" area.  This is potentially one of the most useful areas of the forum, and also the only section where I really worry about abuse.  I added a few extra rules that apply just to that area, and if folks are as polite there as they have been in the rest of the board everything should be just peachy.  Thanks for the great suggestions guys! :)
Where's my super-suit?

Jazzlet

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 07:49:39 am »
I honestly don't think you'll have a problem with nasty people here... 

GrayDrakkon:
I'm beginning to suspect you're right -- everyone seems to be very nice here, and I probably sound like a paranoid lunatic :-[.  I guess that I'd rather growl and bare my teeth a bit more than necessary than have things get ugly on the forum.  So far, we've had the nicest bunch of people you could possibly ask for. :)

I hope you don't get any nasties, but I know from experience that some people will put an extraordinary amount of effort into being horrid to other people, so I think it's a valid concern. And as a friend of mine would say, if you set the system up to cope with disasters it's ok if one never happens, but if you don't and a disaster happens you are right royally ******* :D

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:00:11 am »
hand picked volunteer mods all by you by invitation only from you or Patty no requests and no referrals allowed

There is no place like /~

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 11:43:20 am »
I honestly don't think you'll have a problem with nasty people here... 
everyone seems to be very nice here, and I probably sound like a paranoid lunatic :-[.

No, you are responsible, and I think it's wonderful that you are trying to be so nice. And we would all hate it if someone said something nasty and hurt Patty or you. Happy authors write better books  ;D. Thanks for trying so hard to keep it clean. I only have one suggestion and it comes from a fellow internet-incompetent  :-[. Keep it simple, please. This is one of the few forums I have really enjoyed using because it's not to difficult to find your way around. And thanks again for working so hard on this forum!  ;D
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 07:57:42 am »
Keep it simple, please.

Ah, the golden KISS.  (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)  Learned that one in jewelry class. ;) 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenglows

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:43:28 pm »
It would be great if the links to the threads took you to the most recent post instead of the first one.  Is that a setting I can change for my view?

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 09:53:05 pm »
yes just in forum layout check the box for "Show most recent posts at the top." thats the best we have

There is no place like /~