Author Topic: Suggestions Welcomed  (Read 31828 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Suggestions Welcomed
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
This is Mike - and I'm supposed to be maintaining this system.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty clueless with most web technologies.  Yup, another old geezer that can't use the internet :o

I'm not sure how most folks run their forums.  I don't know which major topics I should post, or frankly even whether you guys have the permissions you need to start new topics etc.   However, while my ignorance is vast, I'm a fairly bright guy, and I'm happy to learn.  So, tell me what I should be doing, or what I'm doing wrong, and I'll try to fix it. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:58:44 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Suggestions Welcomed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:16:24 pm »
Gre Drakkon:
Thanks.  I'm clueless, and spent about twenty minutes reading documentation before I fired this thing up.  Obviously my forum-fu is at the white-belt level.  If I have problems, I'll definitely ask for assistance.

There's an announcements section already in place (thanks to the creators of this program) which only the admin can edit, but I haven't posted anything there yet (sigh).

Slacker.  >;D 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »
"Forum-fu" I'll have to remember that one.

This is a nice board. It's simple but it does have a lot of features, I've mostly used free message boards like Excoboard. I think it'd be fun to have different kinds of user names instead of Newbie, like Mechanic or something along those lines.

Hurog Means Dragon.

Fairyfreak

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:26:12 am »
No real suggestions, but I'd like to thank you for setting up the forum.   ;D  Also, thanks for the updates you post on the web, it's always fun to read what's going on with my favorite authors! 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:51:27 pm »
Definitely bare bones right now, but like I said chock full of great functions. I've been experimenting with it, trying to see what all is possible with the board. It'll be interesting to see when you do start customizing what you come up with down the road palette-wise.

One question though, Mike, what's the avatar sizing? Is it 65X65? I was wondering if it's possible to make it any bigger than that? Maybe 100X100 pixels? Which is not too big, but big enough to do a bit of detail in the avatar.
Hurog Means Dragon.

AnemicOak

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:02:41 am »
I think you'll want to have an ask the author section for Patty where she can go & answer questions, as time allows, like the chat.  If you make folks aware it the only place on the board where they can be absolutely sure their question will be seen by her it'll make things easier for you/her when the forum takes off.  Kinda how Kelly Armstrong has her board set up. http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

I know you mentioned Hamilton's forum, which can get kinda nasty, but Hamilton also doesn't read or participate in them at all & they've gotten pretty good @ moderating those really offensive posts out.  I can understand Patty not wanting to read junk like that, but hopefully she'll look at folks like Kelley Armstrong & Charlaine Harris & see how positive their forums are.

~Brian

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:22:00 am »
AnemicOak:
That's a great idea.  If Patty decides to keep the forums (and I'm pretty sure she will) I'll do that.  Having a single message area for Patty to interact with folks with would make great sense.

Thanks also for the reference -- I could definitely learn a few things from Kelly Armstrong's board.   Someday I'm also going to need to learn how to customize these forums so they don't look quite so generic. 
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:55:48 am »
FairyFreak:
Thank you for the feedback.  I had hoped to have a bit more time to get to know the forum software before many people were using it -- I've very surprised by how quickly people have started using these forums.

There are doubtless many things that should be improved.  Unfortunately, I work on computers all day, and at night I'm usually working on the farm, so my time is a bit short.  I'll try to start customizing these forums in the next week or two, and I'll definitely check out Jim Butcher's forums (by the way, Jim Butcher ROCKS!).

Thanks again, and I'll try to make some improvements in the near future.

Mike
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 07:40:14 am »
Following the excellent suggestions posted here, I've added the "Ask Patty" area.  This is potentially one of the most useful areas of the forum, and also the only section where I really worry about abuse.  I added a few extra rules that apply just to that area, and if folks are as polite there as they have been in the rest of the board everything should be just peachy.  Thanks for the great suggestions guys! :)
Where's my super-suit?

Jazzlet

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 06:49:39 am »
I honestly don't think you'll have a problem with nasty people here... 

GrayDrakkon:
I'm beginning to suspect you're right -- everyone seems to be very nice here, and I probably sound like a paranoid lunatic :-[.  I guess that I'd rather growl and bare my teeth a bit more than necessary than have things get ugly on the forum.  So far, we've had the nicest bunch of people you could possibly ask for. :)

I hope you don't get any nasties, but I know from experience that some people will put an extraordinary amount of effort into being horrid to other people, so I think it's a valid concern. And as a friend of mine would say, if you set the system up to cope with disasters it's ok if one never happens, but if you don't and a disaster happens you are right royally ******* :D

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 09:00:11 am »
hand picked volunteer mods all by you by invitation only from you or Patty no requests and no referrals allowed

There is no place like /~

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 10:43:20 am »
I honestly don't think you'll have a problem with nasty people here... 
everyone seems to be very nice here, and I probably sound like a paranoid lunatic :-[.

No, you are responsible, and I think it's wonderful that you are trying to be so nice. And we would all hate it if someone said something nasty and hurt Patty or you. Happy authors write better books  ;D. Thanks for trying so hard to keep it clean. I only have one suggestion and it comes from a fellow internet-incompetent  :-[. Keep it simple, please. This is one of the few forums I have really enjoyed using because it's not to difficult to find your way around. And thanks again for working so hard on this forum!  ;D
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 06:57:42 am »
Keep it simple, please.

Ah, the golden KISS.  (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)  Learned that one in jewelry class. ;) 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenglows

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 08:43:28 pm »
It would be great if the links to the threads took you to the most recent post instead of the first one.  Is that a setting I can change for my view?

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 08:53:05 pm »
yes just in forum layout check the box for "Show most recent posts at the top." thats the best we have

There is no place like /~

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 02:01:31 pm »
One question though, Mike, what's the avatar sizing? Is it 65X65? I was wondering if it's possible to make it any bigger than that? Maybe 100X100 pixels? Which is not too big, but big enough to do a bit of detail in the avatar.

I wasn't trying to ignore you, I just need to get some time blocked out to master this crazy forum software.  It looks like the avatar size is set globally in the templates.   If I change it, all the other avatars will be stretched to those dimensions, which would probably make them look grainy, or would show up with a bunch of blank space around them..  Talking to some other folks, it looks like 65x65 is a pretty standard avatar size, so I'm just going to leave it as is.  Sorry Elle :'(
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 03:36:41 pm »
Well, one thing about a shorter sig, it gives you the chance to spread your 'wit' out.
Different topic:  Except for the few forum members in the Southern Hemisphere, winter is creeping up on us.  Is there a way to change the background colors of the forum screens to something warmer?

Absolutely - there's probably two hundred skins available for these forums.  I STILL need to find some time to customize a skin, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do that.

Warm Regards,
Mike
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 04:40:27 pm »
Hmmm.  I'm suffering from the "too many irons in the fire" syndrome.  These forums are BARELY customized at all -- pretty much running a plain vanilla installation.  :-\ I don't know HOW to add a lot of functionality, though there are quite a few plugins available for these forums.  They're also written in PHP, and use a fairly straightforward database design for the back end.   

DarkQueen -- you mentioned you've played with forums previously, have you played with the "Simple Machines Forums?", and do you have the PHP skills required to make changes to the code base?  If so, many things become more possible. . .   ;D

As far as adding to the signatures -- actually I think there's PLENTY of signature options already.  In fact, there are a few that have enough text and graphics to be borderline obnoxious already.   :P

We'll need to write a custom theme for these pages at some point, but I'd really prefer to make it look more like Patty's primary site rather than something completely different, even if different were creative and good. 

Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud, but in general I prefer simple and functional to glitzy.  Still, if several people want something and there's a plugin available, I'll be happy to install it. 
Where's my super-suit?

DarkQueen

• Tool Wrangler
  • Nessa
    • Vampiricharlot
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 06:31:40 pm »
Yup, I have PHP skills. It's been awhile but I'm sure I can remember most of it. If not, there's always internet help sites. :)

Alright, alright, I'll lay low about the suggestions then. ;)

charmed

• Mechanic
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 04:11:03 am »
..... I tried Baen's Bar and it was horribly confusing and overwhelming!  Thanks for all your work, Mike, I think this forum rocks!! :)

Same here. I've stopped going there, it's just not worth it.

I'm utterly useless at software and such but if ever the board needs another mod, I'm game. I've got experience on another forum.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:12:44 am by cat charmer »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 06:48:08 am »
It's not that change isn't welcome per se,  it's that I at least find simple better than busy or flashy.  Patty's site is a good example.  And at least a few of us are aware that simple isn't always easy to achieve once software is involved. :P 

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 07:15:21 am »
It's not that change isn't welcome per se,  it's that I at least find simple better than busy or flashy.  Patty's site is a good example.  And at least a few of us are aware that simple isn't always easy to achieve once software is involved. :P 

Absolutely.  I made my living as a programmer for a number of years.  Like most young programmers I wanted to show what I could do, and came up with some horrible "cool" ideas.  Fortunately I had a wonderful mentor named Steeg.  I remember one incident very clearly.  In an application I needed to let the users select a number between 0 and 100, with  single-decimal precision.  I came up with a very cute "radio knob" control.  You could "grab" this chrome-knob image with your mouse and spin it round and round (it even made little clickity sounds).  A simulated "LED" display next to the knob would display the selected number, incrementing or decrementing as you spun the knob.  It was flashy, it was 'retro' and I thought it was very cool.

Steeg praised my programming skills, and suggested we submit the program for user testing, smiling a little.  The users couldn't figure it out.  They moused all around the stupid knob, but it somehow wasn't apparent that they were supposed to click on the rim of a knob icon and then whirl their mouse in little circles to select a number.  When the reviews were in, my knob was the source of considerable frustration, and was easily replaced by a simple text box.

Then Steeg said something I'll never forget, "Beginning programmers focus on what they can do.  Expert programmers focus on what they should do."    Simple, elegant and easily used, that's what we're looking for.

Where's my super-suit?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 10:09:18 am »
I don't think you should stop posting suggestions.  Speaking for myself, I wasn't annoyed by your suggestion, I just didn't agree with it, but that's okay, isn't it?  And from reading the other posts, I don't think anyone else was annoyed or upset with you for the suggestion, either.  I think some of the comments were about fancy design changes in general (and I was a programmer in a previous life, too, so I get that), rather than your particular suggestion.  

Keep suggesting, and don't feel badly, okay?   :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 11:53:42 pm »
DQ - Your suggestions are welcomed, just as ours were when we stated a preference for a simple layout.  If you have some elegant looking changes or some ease of use options I'm sure your expertise would be useful as well as appreciated.  We may be opinionated, but we don't mind if you have opinions too.

DarkQueen

• Tool Wrangler
  • Nessa
    • Vampiricharlot
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 01:39:46 pm »
It's fine guys, don't worry.

The thing is I don't understand why you  say you want a "simple" board as the reason you don't like my ideas because frankly I didn't think the four ideas I suggested made the board much more complicated... This is the last time I talk about this but I just want to explain I guess because right now I feel like I'm this super snob girl who only wants the more complicated sh$t and wants to convert this board absolutely as if it's a VBulletin which is really not the case. I guess I took it personnal.

Signature at the bottom of the post: I admit this is overkill. So this one I understand why people didn't like it.

Countdown: This usually is a little image that is put at the complete bottom of the site itself. For exemple, it would be under "Powered by SMF 1.1.4 | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines LLC " and is usually 40px by 65px or something and it's only an image that says "3 days, 26 minutes and 12 seconds 'till book whatever". You only see it if you completely scroll down the page. Even more, if I remember correctly, it doesn't take that much time to add that to a board.

How about a different color fo the mod's username?: This is to differentiate the mods from the user and the admin from the mods and on and on. I don't see what that complicates... It's only a color whereas we normal user have black. There is no glitz or moving texts or something. Honestly I've had a hard time to see who's mod who's not, it makes it easier. Yes, you could say you can read the little text under the username or go in the "Moderation" forum. Personally, I've always liked this feature and like all of you say we all have our right to our opinions and I completely agree. I just can't help but feel that this is not something complicated or flashy (my, I feel I'm going to used that word many times in this post). Although, for Mike, I do agree it can be a little hard to do as a modification to the board itself.

How about a theme contest? This is not even a board modification...... I just thought that in the "Contests and Giveaways" forum we could have a competition amongs members where we could all make a banner or something for a new theme, it didn't even have to be a theme it could have been banners or stuff like that. I guess the fact that there would be a banner would make the board glitzy....

So that's it. I understand that people didn't like my ideas and it's quite normal. I just didn't get why everyone was saying it was complicated, flashy and glitzy that's all.

charmed

• Mechanic
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 06:35:08 pm »
I like the idea of a different color font for mods. One board I go to does that and it really is convenient. Another Board where I am a mod, has no identifying feature; on here, "mod" appears by the username but over there - nada. If you can't remember who is a mod or for which forum you have to go to teh forum index, scroll down and click on "view team list", then look at each name to see what forum they mod. It's a pain and I get many PM's from members who know that I'm a mod but can't remember what forums I do.

I also like the idea of a book countdown, that would be so cool. :)

Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

DarkQueen

• Tool Wrangler
  • Nessa
    • Vampiricharlot
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 10:09:57 pm »
Thank you!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 10:23:30 pm »
HAH!  I just tried to add a mod that would let me change the color of the moderator's posts, and naturally it blew up on install and mucked up the forums for an hour or so while I tried to fix it. I TOLD you guys I wasn't too great with PHP.  I did install a calendar, which at least allows events to be added. . .   

I looked over the plugins available for these forums, and there's nothing like a countdown clock already made.  It would be pretty simple to build something like that either as a server side script (counting days) or as a JavaScript (which would allow minutes and seconds to be displayed, but I'm not entirely sure how to work that into the forums (sigh).

And now it looks like my brother in law mucked up his car, so I get to spend the next day or two out twisting a wrench in zero-degree weather, what fun!!!!

Peace!
Where's my super-suit?

Jazzlet

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 07:50:49 am »
Would it be possible to have 'road-tests' of changes, so we could say if we really hated them or especially if we loved them?

Some of the stuff being suggested might be OK, but as I don't always know what you are talking about I am not sure. Though if it moves around I won't like it, I even scroll down when I'm typing a reply, so I can't see the moving letter option  ::)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 08:45:34 am »
Oh, like limiting it to a testing thread or two?
"Plan 'A' is to ask the ogre to change into a mouse. I eat the evidence, no muss, no fuss, no body" said Puss-in-Boots as he screwed the silencer onto his HK Mk 23, "Plan 'B' gets messy."
~Law Dog

Jazzlet

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 08:20:23 am »
Yeah, then we could look and comment if we are interested and it won't bother people who don't care. :)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 03:54:24 pm »
Great idea -- but most of the patches to the forum are global -- they affect the whole thing, and I can't limit them to a couple of threads.  One thing I COULD do is start a whole separate forum for testing, but that seems like overkill.  Things like Themes etc. can be applied to individual topics easily enough, and I think I'll probably just restrict my changes to themes rather than trying to install patches that add functions -- it's too easy to goof up the forums :P

Thanks everyone!
Where's my super-suit?

Rob

• lovebird
  • Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 08:24:55 am »
(To get back off target....briefly)

Mike, I didn't see anything brusque or the least bit offensive in any of your responses.  I'm just greatful and amazed at the time and effort you and Patty both put in for us fans...not many writers or entertainers of any sort really do....to busy crafting their art or selling it to bother with the fans.

But then again....I have the social graces of a grizzly bear and have been known to be an insensative male chauvinist pig.....(right Patti???)....Mike, be happy you haven't caused anyone to try to shove you in an oven or gotten you so depressed that you got in voluntarily....(right Patti???)   ;D

But I digress.....just wanted to say thanks Mike for alll the good work you do and please pass on to Patty my thanks for her great books and her interaction with us fans... ;D
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 11:12:35 am »
Can I suggest to have a television section there is a really interesting discussion about Torchwood in the ask Patty section - I know there is thread about what you favorite show but since there is already a movie section perhaps there should be one for the tube.  ;D
<br />\'You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 01:45:34 pm »
Hmm, maybe Mike can expand the movie area to also have T.V.? 

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:22 pm »
That sounds like a plan -- give me a couple of days.  I'm fighting some CSS on the site re-design, and it's driving me batty!
Where's my super-suit?

charmed

• Mechanic
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 06:52:14 pm »
Has, good suggestion. I love me some telelvision.  ;D

Mike, looking forward to seeing the site re-design as well. Good luck with it!

I'm looking forward to it also. Lots and lots of luck!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
Mike! The site looks fabulous. Well done on all your hard work. :) I like the color change a lot. Is the bullet on the bottom of the page one of your own?
Hurog Means Dragon.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 06:56:06 am »
Mike, functionally, it's terrific.  And it looks just fine as well.   You might want to hit up a volunteer or two privately for some graphics help though.  I've seen a lot worse sites than this, and I understand your desire for a higher standard, even if you don't have the skills to meet it yourself. Really great work.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 07:26:38 pm »
site looks great!  i like the bullet at the bottom, a nice touch

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 03:32:35 am »
Hi,
I am new here and wanted to tell you, that I really think the site looks great!!! I like that people can talk about different authors and everyting, too!!!

I know about some forums where people get all uptight if you mention another show/author you like.... as if people were always 100% focussed on only one thing  ???

Anyway, wanted to compliment you on this awesome board!!!

GW  WK  WH

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 03:42:30 pm »
Don't worry Grey, you are firm, but kind.  I think it's good to have someone around to try to keep order, both by organizing the questions and by keeping people from going off on too many tangents (esp. since so many of us read the chats later).
It may just be best to have three or four GD-trained folks who can be on hand and volunteer if GD can't make it.

On a different note:
Would it be possible to better organize the Ask Patty page?  Maybe create different categories (ie. General Mercy, Charles and Anna, Werewolves, Vampires, etc) so that people can find things more readily and possibly stop repeat questions.  I know that would require a LOT of work, but I wondered if it would help in the long run.

Thanks  ;D!! 

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 04:40:30 pm »
Great suggestions.  I'll have to think about how to organize the "Ask Patty" questions.  I also need to add more of a "writer's how-to" to the main page.  I'll be at the next chat, or at least lurking over Patty's shoulder.  If Grey can't make it or we have problems I'll grab another computer and ride herd.  I think we want to keep this as friendly and open as possible, and I suspect that we can bring it back in line pretty easily!

Thanks again!
Mike
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
I also need to add more of a "writer's how-to" to the main page. 

Mike
I wouldn't have the least idea how, but could/would you link that to the open parts of the Writers Block?  Or is that a bad idea?
LOL!  Patti, that's why I haven't done anything about it (though it's somewhere on my "to-do" list, item 4238 I think).  I was really looking for something that could be reached right from the main site.  Probably a half-dozen or so pages with some general information for budding authors.  However, I don't want to "steal the thunder" of your writer's board, where you've got some excellent information available.  Alas, I don't know any way to transparently integrate the two.  On the main board, I have the option of doing better page formatting and making things more easily accessible; but not everyone can add to the discussion.  I'm toying with a wikki, but that's just one more system to maintain.   Sorry, I don't have a clear idea where I'm going with this yet.
Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2008, 07:37:12 pm »
It was just a hope to make things easier for you; if it works the other way around, drop it like under matured fertilizer, please.
"Plan 'A' is to ask the ogre to change into a mouse. I eat the evidence, no muss, no fuss, no body" said Puss-in-Boots as he screwed the silencer onto his HK Mk 23, "Plan 'B' gets messy."
~Law Dog

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 08:57:17 pm »
My main thought on the "Ask Patty" suggestion was that organization may help the section to work a bit more like a FAQ page, preventing repeat questions for Patty to have to answer.  And of course, we could more readily access the necessary info in our debates on what will happen next  ;D.

Rock Chick

• Tool Wrangler
    • Myspace
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 12:54:00 pm »
Music is an important part of anyones life and is sometimes what inspires us to write not just lyrics but poems and books etc. So can we plz plz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz have a music section added to the arts and media section. im begging you mods/admins hehe.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 01:42:17 pm »
Bearing in mind that certain things are already in place, as shown in the FAQ section, please offer your suggestions for the board on this thread.
~Law Dog

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:56 pm »
Unless I'm in the wrong section, I'd like to ask a question.

Is there any way to set the board to auto-refresh every so often?  I find it a bit odd that I have to manually refresh the page to see if anything new has happened when I've been away from the tab for a while.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »
Hmmm.  I'll check the plugins available for the forum.  I suspect that that's not really an option though.  HTML is designed to be stateless (request/response) driven.  The only ways around that are to either use polling/reloading (which is a huge waste of bandwidth) or move to a raw sockets implemention and move away from HTTP protocol.   Ajax-type controls provide kind of a middle ground, but that would probably involve a pretty extensive modification of the forums. 
Where's my super-suit?

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
I'm not looking to start an overhaul or any such thing, I just forget to toggle over and refresh sometimes.  Especially when I'm reading in another window.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »
just wish the evil Facebook content could be tranfered here automatically with out being on the evil facebook.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 02:23:56 am »
Ooops. I've just gotten a crick in my neck, looking up to see if I could spot all that stuff that's way over my head.
“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
    “Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.”
    ― Albert Einstein

nitehawk645

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 03:48:37 pm »
Not sure this is the place to ask ( I mean beg actually) for this. Please....a book compiled of stories of how everyone got together. Bran, Charles, Anna, Sage, Mercy, Adam, Warren, Kyle....everyone!! It would be so cool to know the history of all these characters.  Thanks
Kate G