Author Topic: Charles deLint  (Read 9310 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Charles deLint
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:29:54 pm »
Good grief, I can't believe no-one mentioned deLint before now, now that I think about it.  He's been at it for 20-30 years.  I'm particularly fond of Moonhart, Spirit Walk, & Yarrow.

And you're probably going (Unless you're another ol' codger like me :D) 'who the heck is Thorne Smith?'
Well, he's the guy who brought us 'Topper'.  It's been made into 2 movies with a couple of sequels to the original around the time the 'Thin Man' movies were made, with some of the same air of fun.  They even tried making a tv series of it, starring the late Roddy McDowell.  Smith also wrote 'The Night Life of the Gods', bringing statues of Venus & co. to life, 'Turnabout', the originator of the 'Freaky Friday' movies, except the husband & wife get switched & can't turn back until the baby's born, oh dear, & others.

I'm a huge deLint fan. I've read most of his early work. I'm trying to find Wolf Moon. The last book of his that I've read was Trader. Fabulous story.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:10:28 pm by Sergeant of Squirrels »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Charles deLint & Thorne Smith
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:28:40 pm »
Check the Teen or Young Adult section.  That's where I last saw it shelved at the B&N where I used to work.  They'll order it for you if you want.  I wasn't impressed with it myself, but that's just my taste, it may rival the work of Our Hostess to you.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

rianirory

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:53:59 am »
i've never read thorne smith but i've seen the topper movies and they were a blast. i love charles delints work, and his advise to new writers was increadibly helpful. his urban fantasy is lovely, and i find his writing to be beautiful, and his Newford (sp?) is a town i'd love to live in!
right now i'm a college student (33 and just geting to school) and i have to say that he has certainly influanced the way i write and the way i see the world. i love it when novels do that, though those special novels are few and far between. i love the mixture of celtic and native american mythology, humor and humanity in his work.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:04:55 am »
I love Charles deLint.  I just had a scary moment trying to figure out how long I've been reading his stuff and coming up with some terrifyingly high number of years.  I think I bought Wolf Moon when it was first out.  Anyone read Someplace to be Flying or The Little Country
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Jazzlet

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:28:22 am »
Yup, and I've been to some of the places in Cornwall he uses in 'The Little Country' 8)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:30:34 am »
Not two of my favorites.  Oddly enough, he's got a book, 'the Fane of the Grey Rose' that I'm no more than lukewarm on, because I prefer the condensed version of it that was in the 'Swords against Sorcery' collection earlier.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:34:36 am »
I'm easy when it comes to de Lint.  I loved the three you mentioned, Moonheart, Spirit Walk and Yarrow, too.  :D

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 02:38:21 pm »
Jack the Giant Killer is one of my all time favorites. It was a part of the fairie tale series, years ago. The same one that brought out Tam Lin by Pamela Dean.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:22:15 pm »
Did you read the sequel, Drink Down the MoonTam Lin was quite good, too.  I liked that one a lot. 

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:35:50 pm »
No, I didn't know there was a sequel. I will have to go find it now.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:53:36 pm »
Jack the Giant Killer is one of my all time favorites. It was a part of the fairie tale series, years ago. The same one that brought out Tam Lin by Pamela Dean.

Both it and the sequel are very good; I don't enjoy his recent stuff as much.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 08:05:06 am »
This is good, because I am all out of books!!!

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 04:34:03 pm »
de Lint's Greenmantle is excellent and my favorite by him.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Linnea

• Grease Monkey
Re: Charles deLint
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »
Charles deLint is one of my favorite authors.  For me, all his books have a feeling of discovery to them.  I especially loved the idea of Tamsin house - a castle-like retreat for artists hidden in the middle of a city, with a forrest hidden in the middle.  Where do I sign up?

~Linnea