Author Topic: Mercy cover art  (Read 3132 times)

ktownsley

• Tool Wrangler
Mercy cover art
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:19:17 am »
Why does Mercy have tattoos all over on the covers when (as far as I've read) she only has one tattoo of a coyote print?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Mercy cover art
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:20 am »
Hi ktownsley, welcome to the board. We've had a few people ask about that. :) Here's Mike's response from the FAQ:

Who is the artist for the book covers and why does Mercy look different on them then she is described in the books?

Daniel Dos Santos is artist for the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega book covers. In addition, he's done the artwork for the cover Homecoming graphic novel that's in hardcover. You can see more of his work at his website.

From Mike Briggs:

"It's true, the cover-girl Mercy is a semi-slutty little vixen with a serious tattoo fetish, while the one between the covers is much more girl-next-door.   We've gotten letters from people who love the covers, and letters from people who are embarrassed to read the books because of the bodice-ripper covers.  After much agonizing and endless discussion, here's what we've finally come up with.

A cover has to communicate a lot of information.  Urban fantasy usually features tough, tomboy female protagonists, so "tough, sexy, chick" does as much to brand these books as a cowboy hat and revolver does a western.   Ideally, cover art should also tie a series together.  When I see a Harry Dresden cover, I know Jim has a new book out, even before I read the title or the author.  Everything else is secondary to these two functions.

Daniel made Mercy sexy, with lots of tattoos.  Some people object, and that's understandable.  We also get letters from people who were blown away by the covers, who never would have bought the books with more conservative artwork.  Dan ALSO paints an amazing cover, with far more detail and better composition than the "average" cover artist.  They look rich, and lush, and vibrant.  That's worth a lot -- it communicates a sense of quality, of a job well-done to the reader.

In the end, we're happy to allow the cover artist some artistic license.  He's made Mercy sexy, but also beautiful, recognizable, and those covers sell books.  I picture Mercy as a lot less sexy.  But would a tired-looking woman in a dirty, grease-stained pair of coveralls make a good cover?    LOL

BTW: One advantage of e-books is that no one can judge you by your book's cover!"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:27:55 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.