Author Topic: More books  (Read 35158 times)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: More books
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 01:20:44 pm »
Nah I'm with you, I don't want Rinnie hooking up with him either.  I can see them being lifelong friends, but not romantic with each other.
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Jazzlet

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 05:26:21 am »
Although from a story point of view I could see Phoran thinking he loved Rinnie that way, partly because of his comparative lack of experience of honest friendship. and an exploration of how he came to understand the difference between platonic and erotic love might be a part of a new story :)

Granite Owl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:02:12 am »
I think that Phoran figuring out platonic vs erotic love is a great sub plot, but not with Rinnie. She is so young. She is strong and powerful, but you can't have her first crush still be figuring out what he wants.. It would be better if she found romantic love with one of the gaurds that her father trained for Phoran.  They would be a much better social match, and he would instinctively understand her power better, without worries about losing his position. Phoran could make the same changes to his world without a Traveller wife that would constantly be under the threat of assasination by those that don't want change.

Owl

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:22:25 am »
I'm trying not to read too much here, since I just started this book last night. Looking forward to reading more - although I still need to get my hands on the sequel.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

shades

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 03:33:50 pm »
this is my 1st post... anyway...
i agree that having Rinnie and Phoran get romantic would just be...well bad.  i would also love to c what more happens between Jess and Hennea (and possibly their children??? ;)) Also having Lehr map the castle would make a good book 2 (and seeing what he found in the secret passages that havn't been explored for decades)  I personally think she really needs to make another Raven book (please, please, please)

I love all of Patty's books that i hav read! They're gr8!!! I'm looking forward to reading them all! I've read the Raven books and of course the Mercy books

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 07:06:47 am »
Ok, just read both books, I will agree there are several threads that can easily been written into more books. First off, there is the romance between Henna and Jes. I wont call it a new romance, because as we found out in RS, they were lovers a long long time ago. Also, the rift that allows those stupid enough to steal the Stalkers power is still there and from what it sounds like there is no way to repair the rift. Even if Henna died, the buildings that were ripped out of the great city can not be put back and incorporated into the original spell.

What I could see happening is a gradual acceptance to Travelers and possibly a return of greater magics now that Sereph knows how to work spirit magic as well as Order magic. Maybe we could see enough people get together to convince the Stalker that destroying the world would end everything, and that his dead wife would not want that.

Another tidbit, there would never be a romance between Rinnie and Phoron. Phoron can not be linked to anything magical, and Rinnie is more than magical to count :)

Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »
I think that that Rinnie and Phoran Should! get together as a way to bring all sides together in the kingdom, but this story that should be set in a few years in the timeline, as Phoran's reforms have only just started and as for earlyer coments about him not having anything to do with magic, you forget one thing he is the emperor why can't he just change the law to how the magic is used and what type it is I.E good evill, with the user under say yearly review not just a blanket ban of all magic as is the case now. But the story i would realy like to see is one between Henna and Jes as this has a great potental for lots of intresting story lines such as will the other gods come back now, and what do thay think about what is going on. and of corse you can't for get about Sereph and her new knollage of spirit magic.  :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »
Hi, Driver, welcome!

You've raised some good points, I think the examination & annual review sound like a good idea.

The 'he's emperor, can't he just change the law?' is something that can be answered from history:  No.

That kind of 'arbitrary' decision leads to coups.  He'd be deposed and likely beheaded if he just ordered it.

Now, if he started suggesting changes moving toward that, he might be able to achieve it in 10-30 years.  Depends on a lot of factors, speed of communication, resistance, who he can get on his side, what kind of propoganda machine he has or can create.

If the gods did come back & give their approval, that should help.  Might not, but should.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »
Thanks for the welcome about my fist post. 8)

Good pont about the head chopping. It would be intresting to see how he could change the law, maybe say he can't but she can don't know if that whoud work as a story line. plus all the discustions on them getting together have been centered on what the kingdoms citizens would think about there marriage, but what would the other traverlas think about it?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 01:33:54 pm »
That's another good question.  I didn't get into this 'series' so I can't comment with any authority on that.  I seem to recall that they're pretty scarce on the ground, though, and that means they may be thoroughly unhappy about the idea of losing that person from their gene pool.  Unless they're scorning 'halfbloods' like someone out of Harry Potter or The Sharing Knife.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 02:00:25 pm »
been a while since i read the series myself but i don't recall them haveing any problems with half bloods what they would probably more upset about would be the loss of another magic user as they are so raire now.

Jazzlet

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 07:43:26 am »
Mmm but magic users should be getting less rare as the gifts are freed from tne rings.

And as for Phoran and Rinnie, I reckon it would make a good story line because of the difficulties there'd be. After all don't they say that the art of story telling is to come up with believable charatcter, then to put them through hell? If it was too easy it wouldn't make a story ;)

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »
Forgot about the rings good point!

As for putting them through hell :D ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 12:46:53 pm »
I've only just finished reading the Raven books, and loved them.  I agree with everyone that there seem to be more stories that could be told in this world.  I'd love to see how Phoran manages his problems with the Septs and see Lehr mapping the maze.  I have to jump in on the minority, though, and say that I think a romantic relationship with Rinnie and Phoran strikes me as an 'ick' concept.  She's ten.  He's twenty-four.  * shudders *  A lot wrong with that idea, and  not much better if you make her sixteen or seventeen to his thirty or thirty-one.  (Maybe because I have a ten-year-old girl in the house.) 

Coming in from the other side, I have to disagree with whoever posted that Tier was clearly too old for further adventures.  He's forty-four, which is hardly ancient (especially from my point of view  ;) ).  And Seraph is only thirty-six.  They've still got some life in them...  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 01:09:18 pm »
I have to jump in on the minority, though, and say that I think a romantic relationship with Rinnie and Phoran strikes me as an 'ick' concept. 

---

Coming in from the other side, I have to disagree with whoever posted that Tier was clearly too old for further adventures.  He's forty-four, which is hardly ancient (especially from my point of view  ;) ).  And Seraph is only thirty-six.  They've still got some life in them...  :D

I definitely agree with you on both points!  I think I remember seeing a similar post at one point, but I think that Phoran benefits the most from having a bossy younger sister and I would hate to see that relationship change.  He doesn't have many opportunities to be a "normal" person.