Author Topic: I liked the Gods and Mantles  (Read 9521 times)

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
I liked the Gods and Mantles
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »
Returned to original state; if you reach this thread, you should expect spoilers.  :-[ Patti L., Mod

It was kind of cool how the gods all had to dissolve themselves to stop the evil.  their presence was what opened the door.

First they killed their protector.  He only gets like 7-9 shards of insane power.  So his overpowered, and at times insane rage, drove his bearers bat-snap crazy.

The Goddess of Magic cheated.  She sundered herself but kept her personality intact as one of 40-od.  I also liked the way she was able to recall to herself the power of her former chosen one.  That was a really cool and nifty little bit.  And gave us some inside into our Bardic Husband.  He could do more than an Owl because he wasn't just an owl, he was the chosen of a cusper-godlet.

Our main heroine being able to weave off bits of her mantle to keep the hubby alive.  That was super cool.  I always wanted to find out if that magic was lost permanently.  and you know if you can weave off threads, is it possible to take part of your life force and weave it on?

Fun fun fun.  I was thinking of the Mantle situation on another board when someone had a question about Nobility having their own god, who like is born inside them.  Are you noble if you are born without.  Are you noble if you're the son of a peasant.  Then there was the whole.  Does evertyhing I do return to the god as knowledge, or only in temples and other holy spots if I die there, or is this just one big myth.

Kind of fun little speculation that for some reason brought to mind Patty's Raven Series.

P.O.P.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:40:28 pm by Patti L. »
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
Re: I liked the Gods and Mantles
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:48 pm »
This post is being modified to include spoiler bars, since it basically tells every spoiler/plot point in the books.

Did I mistakenly post this in the wrong section?  Does it need to be moved to a spoiler okay zone?   I was coming at this from the standpoint of a person who pretty much read everything but the masques stuff before hopping onto the Were series.

I realize now that lots of new people come to Patty through the Were-series and might want to read works new to them.   So this could be a snerker of the first order.  I thanks for the spoiler tags.

That said.  Every major spoiler/plot?  Sure you jest.

There are more twists and turns in the Raven series than a Shrub has branches.  And if pressed I could easily come up with another half dozen or so spoiler/plots.  Take the hidden libraries for instance!

tata!

P.O.P.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:47:38 pm by Prince of Pain »
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:41:33 pm »
I over-reacted, thinking of folks who haven't read the books yet, and might hit these, newest posts first in looking for information about them.  My apologies.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:25 pm »
I over-reacted, thinking of folks who haven't read the books yet, and might hit these, newest posts first in looking for information about them.  My apologies.

Nothing doing.  I've overreacted a time or two in myself.

There were some awesome little scenes going on in the Raven Series.  Truthfully while I would probably desire a sequel to Hob's Bargain first, you won't hear me complaining if Briggs declares her next assignment is to extend the Raven duology into a trilogy!

P.O.P.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:42:26 pm »
She does "awesome little scenes" most everywhere!  It sounds as though this is one of your favorite of her fictons, though.  It's not one of mine, but that's okay, we shouldn't all want exactly the same thing; as the Scots say, "think what a haggis shortage that would mean!"
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.