Author Topic: More books  (Read 35155 times)

Faer The Mage

More books
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:58 am »
I really like the Raven stuff, I think Patty should write more in that world, even though Seraph and Tier's stories are over!

mtomni

• Mechanic
Re: More books
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:35:49 pm »
I agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed this duo and the characters.  Of course, I like ALL of Patty's books!  So, I'm no judge!

gallandro_83

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:08:13 am »
I second this as well, I really liked the fact that this is one of the few if any stories I have seen where its seems like half of the magic in the story is stuff you can't see I've been trying to think of other series where magic can be so subtle and so far haven't come up with anything.

I will say that I would love to see what happens when seraph and tier start leaving descendants all over rediern that might be a Traveler's caln that stays put, what would happen if the travelers in general started to settle in the area? Expecially if they happen to call one of those clan meetings to discuss the fall of the latest shadowed.

I do however see how it would be hard to continue the story since Patty had wrapped up almost all the threads about the nature of the traveler people.

At the very least i would be interested in having the story of the unnamed king and red ernave as a kinf of prequel.

gallandro

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:12:42 am »
Wouldn't it be interesting if Phoran married Rinnie?  What would their children be like?  Would they have powers?

And yes, it would be interesting if more Travelers settled in the same area as Tier and Seraph.

Shuglin

• Tool Wrangler
  • Did someone say pie?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:31:29 am »
I assume that since it's mentioned somewhere in Strike I believe that when traveler's settle the earth heals and becomes a very good place could be wrong in this though
"No Matter How Subtle The Wizard a Knife Between The Shoulder Blades Will Seriously Cramp His Style"  - Vlad Taltos

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:24 am »
Oh dear!  I guess I will have to go back and reread the stories to find out.   ;) ;)

WBOrder_Gifted

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 01:19:02 pm »
The Raven books are, I think, my fav of Patty's books so far....I've only read maybe half....The Mercy series and half of the Dragon.

I would love it if she would write more! I don't think we could expect much more out of Tier, since he is getting older, so Seraph is mostly out from defualt. But the kids have so much potential! They still have to get rid of Gorrish, and there was no real end with the veil or anything, except that they killed the Shadowed.

I get to excited about things.....*sigh*

^_^
Ada

Jasmin

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:43:04 pm »
It would be nice to do the next generation for the Raven series. The Shadowed really destroyed that world and the Traveller culture is almost non-existent outside of Tier's and Seraph's family. So their is alot of rebuilding that needs to be done. I'm sure there are some stories hidden away in the cracks.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:16:16 pm »
OK - I have to say, I respectfully disagree that Tier and Seraph's story is over!  They are going to be living on the farm, yes, but I think they might attract some interesting stuff to themselves...

But it would be more interesting to have future stories focus on their children (or do an Unnamed King / Red Ernave Prequel)  I would be very interested to see what happens between Hennea and Jes.  With plenty of input and appearances from Tier and Seraph.

And I too have wondered about the possibility of a marriage between Phoran and Rinnie. I started thinking he could justify it on the grounds that the First Phoran (that nobody else counts) was a farmer, giving him a claim to make farmers a sort of de facto aristocracy. BUT the bigger problem is the fear of magic ingrained in the people of this world, and the specific prohibition that the king cannot have any touch of magic about him. (Which is why he went traipsing off after Tier in the first place)

However, as I thought about it further, I realized that part of what is so important about Rinnie and how Phoran responds to her is the fact that he has never been around children.  She brings out a sincere urge in him to protect those weaker than himself. This is extremely important for a king if he is to be good.
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

v3rlon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:45:44 pm »
yeah...put the orders back together and ressurrect the old gods because the Travellers have died off so much.  Its the only way to save the people.  :)

mikaela_l

• Tool Wrangler
    • Book Recommendations
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:08 am »
This is my first post...
Anyway. Somewhere in Raven's Strike Phoran say he wants Lehr to map the palace since it is a mace.. Let's just say that if he did that I think there would be problems.  Both in shape of nasty surprises, and secrets but also angry nobles... Now, that is a story I would like to find out. If she writes it in... 2013 or so. :D Plus I get the feeling that everything isn't sorted out yet with the other characters...

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:45 pm »
Very good pointe Mikaela!  The mapping of the palace maze could incite all kinds of trouble...

And who knows what strange things are lurking there?? 

Thanks for speaking up and giving us something more to think about :)
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:49:40 am »
Hmmm... mapping the palace would be neat. But maybe six or seven years in the future so Rinnie is a bit older ;)? I know he thinks of her as a child and all but that always makes stories interesting :D And, yes there would be issues with her being a Cormorant, but that could be a way to start hitting people over the head with the idea that Travellers are human. Also Phoran would be a little more accepted as a true Emperor and not a figure head at this point. He would also have done alot of work towards lifting the Traveller persecution.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:25:53 pm »
One thing that I think could be very interesting is following Phoran for a while.  For one I really like him (and some of his guard) as characters, but he's also in a really interesting position as far as the politics around him.  I'm sure that Tier and Seraph and their kids would be involved in such a story, but I'd love to see what happens with the kingdom. :D

(It is absurdly hard to type with a broken "i" key...)

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

munkee

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »
I think I stand alone in this one, but a rinnie/phoran marriage would just be ucky.

One of his gaurds however....now there's potential.  ;D

It would be great to see what else happens in this world, but I will wait and see what patti thinks.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 01:20:44 pm »
Nah I'm with you, I don't want Rinnie hooking up with him either.  I can see them being lifelong friends, but not romantic with each other.
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Jazzlet

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 05:26:21 am »
Although from a story point of view I could see Phoran thinking he loved Rinnie that way, partly because of his comparative lack of experience of honest friendship. and an exploration of how he came to understand the difference between platonic and erotic love might be a part of a new story :)

Granite Owl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:02:12 am »
I think that Phoran figuring out platonic vs erotic love is a great sub plot, but not with Rinnie. She is so young. She is strong and powerful, but you can't have her first crush still be figuring out what he wants.. It would be better if she found romantic love with one of the gaurds that her father trained for Phoran.  They would be a much better social match, and he would instinctively understand her power better, without worries about losing his position. Phoran could make the same changes to his world without a Traveller wife that would constantly be under the threat of assasination by those that don't want change.

Owl

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:22:25 am »
I'm trying not to read too much here, since I just started this book last night. Looking forward to reading more - although I still need to get my hands on the sequel.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

shades

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 03:33:50 pm »
this is my 1st post... anyway...
i agree that having Rinnie and Phoran get romantic would just be...well bad.  i would also love to c what more happens between Jess and Hennea (and possibly their children??? ;)) Also having Lehr map the castle would make a good book 2 (and seeing what he found in the secret passages that havn't been explored for decades)  I personally think she really needs to make another Raven book (please, please, please)

I love all of Patty's books that i hav read! They're gr8!!! I'm looking forward to reading them all! I've read the Raven books and of course the Mercy books

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 07:06:47 am »
Ok, just read both books, I will agree there are several threads that can easily been written into more books. First off, there is the romance between Henna and Jes. I wont call it a new romance, because as we found out in RS, they were lovers a long long time ago. Also, the rift that allows those stupid enough to steal the Stalkers power is still there and from what it sounds like there is no way to repair the rift. Even if Henna died, the buildings that were ripped out of the great city can not be put back and incorporated into the original spell.

What I could see happening is a gradual acceptance to Travelers and possibly a return of greater magics now that Sereph knows how to work spirit magic as well as Order magic. Maybe we could see enough people get together to convince the Stalker that destroying the world would end everything, and that his dead wife would not want that.

Another tidbit, there would never be a romance between Rinnie and Phoron. Phoron can not be linked to anything magical, and Rinnie is more than magical to count :)

Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »
I think that that Rinnie and Phoran Should! get together as a way to bring all sides together in the kingdom, but this story that should be set in a few years in the timeline, as Phoran's reforms have only just started and as for earlyer coments about him not having anything to do with magic, you forget one thing he is the emperor why can't he just change the law to how the magic is used and what type it is I.E good evill, with the user under say yearly review not just a blanket ban of all magic as is the case now. But the story i would realy like to see is one between Henna and Jes as this has a great potental for lots of intresting story lines such as will the other gods come back now, and what do thay think about what is going on. and of corse you can't for get about Sereph and her new knollage of spirit magic.  :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »
Hi, Driver, welcome!

You've raised some good points, I think the examination & annual review sound like a good idea.

The 'he's emperor, can't he just change the law?' is something that can be answered from history:  No.

That kind of 'arbitrary' decision leads to coups.  He'd be deposed and likely beheaded if he just ordered it.

Now, if he started suggesting changes moving toward that, he might be able to achieve it in 10-30 years.  Depends on a lot of factors, speed of communication, resistance, who he can get on his side, what kind of propoganda machine he has or can create.

If the gods did come back & give their approval, that should help.  Might not, but should.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »
Thanks for the welcome about my fist post. 8)

Good pont about the head chopping. It would be intresting to see how he could change the law, maybe say he can't but she can don't know if that whoud work as a story line. plus all the discustions on them getting together have been centered on what the kingdoms citizens would think about there marriage, but what would the other traverlas think about it?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 01:33:54 pm »
That's another good question.  I didn't get into this 'series' so I can't comment with any authority on that.  I seem to recall that they're pretty scarce on the ground, though, and that means they may be thoroughly unhappy about the idea of losing that person from their gene pool.  Unless they're scorning 'halfbloods' like someone out of Harry Potter or The Sharing Knife.

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 02:00:25 pm »
been a while since i read the series myself but i don't recall them haveing any problems with half bloods what they would probably more upset about would be the loss of another magic user as they are so raire now.

Jazzlet

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 07:43:26 am »
Mmm but magic users should be getting less rare as the gifts are freed from tne rings.

And as for Phoran and Rinnie, I reckon it would make a good story line because of the difficulties there'd be. After all don't they say that the art of story telling is to come up with believable charatcter, then to put them through hell? If it was too easy it wouldn't make a story ;)

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »
Forgot about the rings good point!

As for putting them through hell :D ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 12:46:53 pm »
I've only just finished reading the Raven books, and loved them.  I agree with everyone that there seem to be more stories that could be told in this world.  I'd love to see how Phoran manages his problems with the Septs and see Lehr mapping the maze.  I have to jump in on the minority, though, and say that I think a romantic relationship with Rinnie and Phoran strikes me as an 'ick' concept.  She's ten.  He's twenty-four.  * shudders *  A lot wrong with that idea, and  not much better if you make her sixteen or seventeen to his thirty or thirty-one.  (Maybe because I have a ten-year-old girl in the house.) 

Coming in from the other side, I have to disagree with whoever posted that Tier was clearly too old for further adventures.  He's forty-four, which is hardly ancient (especially from my point of view  ;) ).  And Seraph is only thirty-six.  They've still got some life in them...  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 01:09:18 pm »
I have to jump in on the minority, though, and say that I think a romantic relationship with Rinnie and Phoran strikes me as an 'ick' concept. 

---

Coming in from the other side, I have to disagree with whoever posted that Tier was clearly too old for further adventures.  He's forty-four, which is hardly ancient (especially from my point of view  ;) ).  And Seraph is only thirty-six.  They've still got some life in them...  :D

I definitely agree with you on both points!  I think I remember seeing a similar post at one point, but I think that Phoran benefits the most from having a bossy younger sister and I would hate to see that relationship change.  He doesn't have many opportunities to be a "normal" person.   

Katie

• Tool Wrangler
  • All for one and one for all - in life and family
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 03:38:18 am »
I just finished these books too. I thought that there was possibility of romance between Rhinne and Pharon cos I lost track of the age difference. But with the age gap in black and white, it would be too weird but it could be an interesting comment factor in a new book when either of them get into a relationship, like previously said discovering what they feel for each other, what it is and what it is not.

A storyline no one has pondered is now that they have freed the orders from the rings there is going to be a huge resurgence of ordered into the world, and if my understanding is correct, then like immediately all those born with the natural tendency for the powers of the orders will become ordered - Mageborn = Raven, Bard = Owl, Healer = Lark, Empath = Guardian, etc. Depending on the luck of who is born -- I think the higher possibility is that more non-travelers will become ordered, just simply due to the fact that there are less Travelers alive to reproduce. Also due to the breakdown of the Traveler clans all these new ordered are not going to have the wealth of the older ordered to show them the way, so maybe there will be more journeys back to the old city to learn from books what they can not learn from each other. I think that Serph and Henna would be sought out for teachers and Rhinne will have to be sent out to learn what she needs too as well. May even be that the non Travelers that become ordered will end up seeking out the Travelers for refuge or learning, maybe could pick up on one such looking to find his way -- but then the coming of age is not our fav authors style and we do all love her style very much -- don't ever go changing Patty. Another amazing series.

Jazzlet

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:31 am »
I don't think a fourteen year age gap is that much meself,  but there you are, I'm forty eight  :D  And the time until Rinnie grows up enough to be a romantic interest could be used in all sorts of interesting ways.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 08:21:10 am »
Age gap?  How about my sister married her best friend's widowed father?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 08:42:05 am »
*cough* Well, age doesn't matter as much to some people I guess.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 09:41:06 am »
just look at the age gap some hollywood couples have

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 10:56:58 am »
Age gap?  How about my sister married her best friend's widowed father?

That's like a couple I know, the hubby is 24 years older. Then another couple, the wife is 30 yrs older. It happens. 14yrs actually is not so bad, especially considering the time period of the Raven series. In feudal societies the man usually has to be financialy stable (more so than now as the women usually did not work outside the home), which makes the marriageable age for men higher. Also women matured faster (more responsibility at a younger age) making their marriageable age younger than now.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 01:05:20 pm »
And the classic:  often it was the second wife that was younger, as the first died of exhaustion/childbirth complications.

Driver

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »
As my Dad is 12 years older than my Mum it may be that I am more open minded than others, but if a relationship betwen them is done in any future books then she should be at the minimon age of 17 to 18 years. But what is Definate is that she does know her own mind already!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 03:30:15 am »
I'm not sure how long they have been up but I just noticed the new covers for the Raven series. I think I actually like the old ones better this time.

http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/books.shtml

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »
I just picked up Raven's Shadow in my local Chapters, it has the old cover, for which I am thankful, the new ones don't feel right to me after reading the first book. Hopefully I can grab the second in the set with the old cover.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

K.Love

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »
I, for one, would love to hear more about Lehr and Jes' stories.

I'm almost done reading Raven's Strike.

I've read the Mercy series, Hob's Bargain (which is a damn good read), and now the Raven series.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to read all of her books once I can find them all.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 11:10:55 pm »
Don't forget that we have a Masques list to join! It takes awhile but is well worth the wait!

BrittanyG

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 12:15:06 pm »
Hi (new here)!  I loved the Raven series and would absolutely LOVE a new book.  To be honest its one of my two top series I love and always re-read the books, wishing that some day another book will come out.  Is there any hope for that?  A girl can dream  :)
Lover of all thing Paranormal! :)

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 08:32:02 am »
I seem to recall from somewhere, but have no idea where, that Patty said she would like to write a third one to both the Raven and Hurog series but has to write the rest of the Mercy and Anna and Charles books, then the re-write of Masques and it's sequel before she can get to them. Maybe it was in one of the links to an interview with her?

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 10:35:20 am »
I read this duology..and wished it was a trilogy...or a tetralogy....I just want more  :P
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »
Due to the lack of additional books in this series, (hint  :D   ) I am re-reading them again. They are even more wonderful the second time as I am in less of a hurry to get to the end, and savoring them much more.

As for age differences, I think age is like height;  it is traditional that the wife be a bit younger, a bit shorter, and a bit less assertive, and on and on.  Many women are choosing to be less traditional these days.  And I think true compatibility is more about those things of the heart and mind the couple has in common.

Pheo, the non-traditional   ;D
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 06:54:00 am »
Well, as posted, I re-read this series again, slowly and savoring each page.  I agree with the previous posters, there are some exciting story possibilities here.  I agree Rinnie and Phoran can eventually be an amazing couple.  I think there isn't much they couldn't accomplish together.  And Jes?  He is so passionate and exotic!  I would sure like to hear more about him.  The characters in this series are well developed, and that makes me all the more curious to know more. 
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MoonMayden

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 07:42:08 pm »
I must say, I completely agree with another "Traveler" story!
I bought the series for a weeklong camping trip through the mountains of Idaho-which made me feel like I was a part of the story!
I read both books in one week and I am wanting MORE!
Beautiful story and I was very sad when the story was over, I want to know what happens next...
Please give us more!!!!

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 07:38:33 am »
 I loved the book !!!!  bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY I just read both books and by then and I wished I had read it slower so that I had more time yo enjoy it .  :P I am completely in love with Jes and I think that would be cool for another book about them . Rinnie and Phoran sound auwsome together ! Please , keep the series going ! I loved it !!!  bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »
     Reading the posts on the other pages are really making me want to read the Raven books again. Oh, I wish Patty writes another book for this series. * crosses fingers*  :P
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.