Author Topic: Kudos for Fair Game!  (Read 2522 times)

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
Kudos for Fair Game!
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:38:27 am »
Hi Patty,

Just wanted to congratulate you on Fair Game. I'm halfway through my 2nd read, and I reallyreallyreally love it. I've always enjoyed the A&O series, but I especially like how you've let Anna evolve over the course of the series.
And the fae?! Don't get me started, girl... 9)

I don't want to spoil it for anyone else so I won't say anymore. But, really, Fair Game is a triumph on so many levels.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:45:01 am by lostbird »

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
Re: Kudos for Fair Game!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:02 am »
My sentiments exactly!

I LOVED Fair Game. I expected it to be good but it wasn't just good - it blew me away. Especially the ending. My stomach dropped below knee-levels and now I can't wait for the next installment in the Mercyverse.

You sweating through this story while going through all the distracting never-ending construction at your home was so worth it, Patty.

I hope my writing comes even halfway close to yours someday - every one of your sentences is an inspiration.

A triumph on so many levels, as lostbird said.

And now I'll quit gushing and raving and will read Fair Game again instead.

:)
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

mimi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »
My reaction was more like OMG!  But, I completely agree with both of the above.  I think this is the best one of the series so far - no small praise.  I finished my first read in under 6 hours and when I got to the end I realized I have to wait another year for more!  Thank you ever so much for writing such well-crafted plots with such engaging characters.  Looking forward to my 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....reads as well.

Peace and happy writing! :)

Redbirdie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:41 pm »
I'm still reading "Fair Game" but I had to come and say how much I love it!!!   :-LOVE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the next day and I couldn't put the book down so I just finished it.  This was such a great book!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:57:35 am by Redbirdie »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:01 am »
I want to take a few minutes to add my compliments, with a little embellishment.

The leap in time from roughly the "Blood Bound" timeframe up to current with/just after "River Marked" leaves some nice time for short stories, if you choose to use it, but can't have been terribly easy from a development viewpoint.  Since you talk about getting to go play with your imaginary friends in this process, this must feel a little bit like losing contact with good friends for two years or so. 
And yet, we don't feel deprived ourselves in not getting more updates in this book about what happened in the intervening time; that's skill, m'lady.

The dichotomy some of the characters exhibit in their thinking and actions is so true to life, and so exasperating for the reader that it underscores your grasp of human nature.

The fact that the fae - at least those full blooded fae who have been brought up among their own kind - do not think the same way as humans is also subtly evident in the internally consistent but not necessarily human behaviors.

And the fact that you gave us that ending is going to keep the series - the Mercyverse - fresh for you and for us through all the contracted books and stories, as well as any beyond that which you choose to write is ... sterling.  So much better than what certain other authors of long running series do to try to keep us reading what they have written.

I am very much impressed by your intelligence and sense of fun.  :D
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

bookworm

• Tinker
    • Savory and Safe (food blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »
I'd reiterate but that's boring, so ... I heartily second everything Patti says above!
My food blog, jointly run by me and my best friend: www.savoryandsafe.com