Author Topic: Hardcover vs Paperback  (Read 2884 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Hardcover vs Paperback
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:42:01 pm »
I think there's another thread around here somewhere about the hardcover/paperback thing, but I'm too lazy to find it.  The bottom line is that Patty writes the books, and the publisher figures out how to market them.   To answer your question, we haven't heard anything about the time-line for the paperback US release, however I think the usual tactic is to monitor sales of the hardcover and issue the paperback when those have dropped below some magic level.   The bottom line is that I don't have any useful information on timing -- sorry!

For the record, we just got the cover flat for the hard cover.   The good news is that it's as beautiful as we could have hoped for -- they gave it a blue foil treatment, some embossing and that gorgeous painting.    The bad news -- it looks like they're going for $24.95, which takes a bite out of the wallet.   We were hoping they'd make this a less-expensive book.   

In general, I have mixed feeling on hard covers.   They're durable, and look better in shelves.  However, they tend to be too big to hold comfortably, and despite my best efforts I can't jam one in my hip pocket.   I think I prefer the paperback format overall.   On the other hand, the hard cover promises to bring in some readers who ONLY read hard cover, as well as libraries and similar collections, and Patty makes a higher percentage of the purchase price, so we should should be promoting the hard cover for all it's worth!

Honestly, if it were my money, I'd probably wait for paperback . . . or borrow it from the library.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:26:09 pm by Elle »
Where's my super-suit?