Author Topic: Barbara Hambly  (Read 17095 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Barbara Hambly
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 10:56:38 pm »
Not a Hellboy fan, I take it.
Oh, and scrap the movie of 'The Tomb' by F.Paul Wilson, go for the book. 
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 07:19:33 am »
Have you read The Relic by Douglas/Child?  Much better than The Tomb.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »
Haven't actually read either of them, but saw some of 'the Tomb' & regretted it.  I don't like either horror or most fiction about Nazi Germany. 
But I do know that Dr. Wilson does write better than the movie would make you think.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:49:38 am »
I agree about the movies not as good as reading the book.  I still think imagination is better than someone else's visualization, simply because it never seems to be the same.  Of course, there are LOTS of movies where I refused to read the book because I wanted to enjoy the movie!!!

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:03:16 am »
[
Sorry, Ellyl, I was criticising you for lack of completeness - I feel sure we still haven't covered the lot.

Sorry, again - my apology would have made a lot more sense if I hadn't mistyped and omitted the crucial word NOT. :-[

Please re-scan as: ...I was NOT criticising you for lack of completeness...

[goes off and whimpers in corner for a bit....]

Oh, I wasn't bothered, and I didn't take it as criticism.  I was trying to agree with you in a slightly humorous way.  Okay, very slightly.  Okay, maybe not funny at all...   :D ;)

No whimpering!  ;D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 06:02:32 pm »
I also enjoyed Stranger at the Wedding, but my favorite of her books were the two books she wrote as companions to an '80s television show called "Beauty and the Beast." I've never seen the shows, but her two books and the one by Ru Emerson that sort of retell episodes are really good.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 07:24:38 pm »
Did you notice she did the crossover thing, too?  Like she did in her first "Star Trek" novel?  Although in a more low-key way.

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 01:07:41 pm »
I'm not sure I picked up on that, but like I said I've never seen the shows, nor have I read any of her Star Trek books (or any Star Trek books at all for that matter). So, pretty much, I'm confused. ???

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »
Ah, well, in one of the B&tB books, she mentions in passing Catherine notices a 'private detective' passing through, & that was 'the Equalizer', from the same era's shows.
And I recommend her "Ishmael" in the ST series, she invokes 2-3 versions of Dr.Who, Battlestar Galactica characters, Han Solo, Hokas, Paladin from 'Have gun, will travel', Clint Eastwood's character from 'Rawhide', 'Bonanza', & probably several others I didn't notice - in the middle of the "here come the brides" show about the founding of Seattle.  Quite amusing to read.

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:47 pm »
That sounds fun!  :D Thank you for the recommendation. I was barely alive (born '89) so references to most shows of the era pass strait over my head.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 08:54:53 pm »
Ah, TVLand is your friend. <grin>  Be glad I don't invoke things like 'F Troop'.

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 10:14:53 am »
Indeed, I adore TV land and old shows, but it requires cable which I rarely have access to. Dick Van Dyke Show and I Dream of Jeannie are two of my favorites! But I have not come across many '80s shows except for the A-team (is that the right decade for that show?).

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:38 pm »
yup.  There was an epi. of that where they put a toupee on Murdock, & he was flippin' gorgeous!

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 03:32:37 pm »
TV Land, Star Trek, have I wandered into the wrong thread? I was so sure this was about books by Barbara Hambly.

**scratches head**

I know! It time for the mod whip!!

Back on topic people. Thank you.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Taranis

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 10:30:27 pm »
hasn't hambly written some trekkie books???