Author Topic: Firefly / Serenity  (Read 19848 times)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
Firefly / Serenity
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:29:50 am »
Thought this was rather interesting, thought some others might think so too.

http://io9.com/5821107/art-nouveau-firefly-prints-beautiful-damn-heroes2

Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
Re: Firefly / Serenity
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:12 am »
Nice!

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29:10 pm »
I was just recently watching the episode where Mal & the pilot, his 1st mate's husband, are tortured, and there's a lot of BS about the sexual tension between Mal and... is it Zoey?  They were browncoats in the rebellion together, anyway.

At the end of the episode, Mal says to her that her husband had said they had to have sex with each other, to get it out of the way.
Gravely, she says, "I understand, sir.  Take me; take me hard."
They stand there, straining to kiss each other, and there is zero sexuality behind it.
In fact, their lips kept reaching out in a way that reminded me of horses trying to reach wisps of hay that are   juusssst   ooouuuttt ooff reeeeaaach . . . until her husband stomps over, grabs her hand, and drags her off with him, muttering obscure Chinese curses.  LOL
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
One of my favorites. It reminds me of a friend in high school and his sister whom we spent much time around. A few years after high school, the sister and I ran into each other at a bar...and after having a few drinks and flirtations, we decided to make out :D

At the first kiss and part of lips...we unanimously pulled apart and both spit on the floor.

Looking up we laughed and pronounced kissing each other was too much like kissing family  LOL
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.

Flyleaf

• Tool Wrangler
  • Yeah, probably!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »
Gotta respect the folks at QMX for keeping such shiny products coming for all us Browncoats to spend our coin on. :D
There's a girl in the garden...

Flyleaf

• Tool Wrangler
  • Yeah, probably!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 04:23:10 pm »
@Patti L and @ Grandpappy Wycked, I believe the term for that is Platonic Life Partner and it is never not funny when there is an attempt to turn it into something romantic. 

bookworm

• Tinker
    • Savory and Safe (food blog)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »
That episode is called "War Stories" and it's one of my favorites in some regards :D.
My food blog, jointly run by me and my best friend: www.savoryandsafe.com

Flyleaf

• Tool Wrangler
  • Yeah, probably!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »
I gotta go with "Out of Gas" if I had to choose a favorite.   The introduction stories were a treat, and the shifting back and forth between the 3 time lines was beautifully handled IMHO

bookworm

• Tinker
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:47 pm »
I really liked "Out of Gas" until I made the mistake of listening to Joss' commentary on it. I normally really enjoy the commentaries, but he did that one by himself and he goes on and on and on in a painfully dull and full of himself way. Painfully. I still like the episode just ... not quite as much now that I know what he thought he was saying! I'm rather fond of "Ariel" myself, and the followup in the next one "I hear you're moonlighting as a criminal mastermind now" :D.

Flyleaf

• Tool Wrangler
  • Yeah, probably!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:36:09 pm »
I really liked "Out of Gas" until I made the mistake of listening to Joss' commentary on it. I normally really enjoy the commentaries, but he did that one by himself and he goes on and on and on in a painfully dull and full of himself way. Painfully. I still like the episode just ... not quite as much now that I know what he thought he was saying!

bookworm, are you speaking of my Lord and Master?  ;D  You must not be because the Joss Whedon I know and love could never be described as 'painfully' dull.. cheerfully dull is another story   bOuNcY
All kidding aside, he does get rather deep and pontificate-y at times.

bookworm

• Tinker
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:20:24 am »
Yeah, it's the pontificat-y part that killed this one :D. Indeed, I normally agree with you, and was unpleasantly surprised in that case!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »
The terms you're looking for are pompous or prosy.

baden77

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »
Love the series, missed it while I was on deployment and by the time I got back they had taken it off the air.  A buddy lent me the box set and I was hooked.  Personally my favorite is the "Heart of Gold".  It shows all of the character development and lets each of the characters shine.

bookworm

• Tinker
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »
The terms you're looking for are pompous or prosy.

Indeed, though I thought "pontificate-y" was fun, so I used it anyway. Though I have to wonder, can one be prosy in a verbal format?

I wasn't a huge fan of "Heart of Gold," actually. I thought it had more holes than usual (and not just the one Pettiene puts in Jonah's daddy :-P). I did like the character development for Wash and Zoe, though.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:56 pm »
Prosy is specifically for verbal pomposity.
Since I don't know the episode titles, I can't participate much, but there certainly are some great one liners or short comedy bits in the series.   I keep coming back to the "I married me one powerful ugly woman" followed shortly after by "I will, by my pretty flowered bonnet end you."