Author Topic: Urban Fantasy- Not teenage angst  (Read 7119 times)

Shadow

• Grease Monkey
Urban Fantasy- Not teenage angst
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:54:24 am »
Any recommendations at all? I've read some Vicki Pettersson lately, and she was good. Of course, Patty's are on my top favorites list. I also enjoy Karen Chance, Dean Koontz, Marjorie M. Lui (though only her tattooed series,) Charlaine Harris, and Cheyenne McCray. I'm running out of filler books, so if anyone has any ideas!
Who’s afraid of the big, bad wolf?

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Re: Urban Fantasy- Not teenage angst
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »
Ilona Andrews, Lillith Saintcrow, Chloe Neill, Devon Monk, Jennifer Estep... I'll come back after looking at my library. These ones are on my automatic buy list.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »
Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, Jeaniene Frost, Kim Harrison/Dawn Cook (good books under both names but Dawn isn't urban fantasy), Nalini Singh, Ann Aguirre/Ava Gray (I haven't read any of her Ava books but Has likes them), Kalayna Price and Kelly Meding

I also love this website for checking out new authors. the information isn't always perfect, but it's close. Not only does it give the list of books in order of the series, it also gives a list of similar authors when you scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »
Diana Rowland, Seanan McGuire, Faith Hunter,D.D. Barant etc etc, you might also check out the other authors section of the forums, there are a lot of interesting authors with their very own threads .)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Shadow

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »
Thank you so very much! You quite possibly just saved me! And I guess I should have elborated, I love most fantasy/paranormal/sci-fi books. I just don't like the severe angst that has become popular lately. I'm definitely going to put ALL of these authors on my 'to read' list. Every so often I let my husband buy new videogames, and our deal is I can spend on books what he spends on games. I SO come out winning!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:08 pm »
I'd say just use the "previous/next arrows at the bottom right corner of the thread page & go right through all the threads in this sub-board.  Some will be irrelevant, but many of them will have good suggestions, with info about the authors and their stories.

HOWEVER:  There WILL BE SPOILERS.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Shadow

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 06:09:51 am »
Okay, I feel like a noob for not noticing those arrows ealier. LOL. Thanks!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:15:11 am »
There are all kinds of things it takes time to find; check the "FAQs" and "Navigating the Forum" stuff at the top of the index page, lots of good info there.

On topic, I suggest Diana Wynne Jones.  There are some teens, but the angst factor tends to be quite low.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:25:01 am »
Mark Del Franco has two urban fantasy series, both low on angst and high on character growth.  Also good fun, especially the Connor Grey series. 

Margaret Ronald has a series set in Boston with a very individual heroine, and she's anti-angst.  Really original take on some Celtic mythology.

Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Gimpy Cat

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 12:11:01 am »
Rachel Caine is another good one, if you like romance then there is Christine Feehan, she is pretty popular  :)

Shadow

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 05:43:06 pm »
I'm not in to heavy romance. I like the stories with some though, like the Mercy or Alpha books. I picked up a couple of Ilona's books today, they are now in my TBR stack. I also picked up 'Hexed' which has multiple authors. Hopefully I can pick another good one out of there! I hate how we can spend a full year or so waiting for a new book to comeout  and finish it in a day! Poor authors, trying to keep us ravenous readers at bay!

Gimpy Cat

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02:21 am »
I believe Christine Feehan has hot and heavy stuff in them.

I know what you mean about waiting forever for a new book or the next in the series, then its read in a few hours  :-\    I tried to be a responsible reader once, as in just read a chapter a night before bed, yeah right, like that worked. I prefer to relish my greediness, usually once I open a book, (read the back page first of course) then I just read the whole thing

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:33:20 am »
You could check out Hounded and Hexed the first two in The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.  They have been coming out about a month apart, so the third will be out in July.  Not a romance, but the author does pull in some "romantic" elements here and there.  I especially enjoyed his interactions with his wolfhound.

"Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil."

Shadow

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:54 am »

I know what you mean about waiting forever for a new book or the next in the series, then its read in a few hours  :-\    I tried to be a responsible reader once, as in just read a chapter a night before bed, yeah right, like that worked. I prefer to relish my greediness, usually once I open a book, (read the back page first of course) then I just read the whole thing

I tried that about once... and it last all about to the end of the chapter. XD I do the same thing. As soon as I pick-up a book, the world has to be damn-near ending for me to put it down before the finish. This has led me to re-read a few select authors' series again and again.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 08:13:01 am »

I never personally read Feehan, but remember an Amazon review that cited her Carpathians series as being old school bodice ripper romance, with a quite a nasty assortment of "heroes".
Certainly not teen-angsty, but not really much better I would think.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"