Author Topic: Suzanne Collins  (Read 8275 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Suzanne Collins
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:40:03 pm »
I haven't read the series yet, so I can't comment too much on it. I know it's wildly popular, though. Anyone here read it? If so, here's the first picture of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, the heroine.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:30:32 pm by Elle »
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:27 pm »
I've read it! First book was great, second one was a bit of a rehash. I didn't like the final book and don't get me started on the movie :S - Whitewashing :(
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
Re: Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »
I actually like the whole series, even though it's a bit hard on the stomach, so to speak. :-\ At first I wasn't convinced at all by Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, but with her hair dark and the make-up? Hmm, yep, she could pull it off. The rest of the cast is still a mess though...
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Suzanne Collins
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:09 am »
I finished reading all three books in The Hunger Games yesterday. *Loved* Catching Fire and really disliked Mockingjay. I read a bunch of reviews after I finished the book - both critical and laudatrory, and I get both sides. But I just felt like Katniss was flat in most of the book. I get the point that it didn't need to be a fairy tale happy ending, but I would've liked something a little more hopeful and positive. After all that Peeta did for her, the most he gets back is "Real"?  And for Gale to turn out to be such a horrible morality was very disappointing. It was *such* a departure from the previous two books.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »
Cerulean:  http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6659878/1/The_Unrecorded_Hours

I didn't write this, but I enjoyed it.  Let me know what you think.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »
I just finished reading it. I love it. The author did a great job pulling together the threads. I think in some way, she did a better job than Collins. It just made more sense as to why Katniss resisted Peeta for so long, even when it was obvious that she loved him. And the long-term damage from the Games and the war, too. The sex was a little odd, but it made sense with the story (except for the apocryphal sex-before-the-games2 part). I'm glad you posted this - it actually makes me feel better about the last book :)

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:35:18 pm »
I thought it was really good, too, Amy.  One of my chief complaints of the books of the trilogy is that they all just end so abruptly.  No closure.  This story provided wonderful closure to the trilogy.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:28:56 pm »
I thought it was really good, too, Amy.  One of my chief complaints of the books of the trilogy is that they all just end so abruptly.  No closure.  This story provided wonderful closure to the trilogy.

Exactly! I liked some of the same things you did (per our FB disc) about how the third book illustrated how your enemies and your friends may be the opposite of one another, about the horrors of war and its effects on people. It was a darker book, for sure. I did think that Mockingjay was a bit repetitive, though. Injury, pine for Peeta, talk to Prim, injury, pine for Peeta, talk to Prim, injury, etc. And the scenes of them fighting through The Capitol were *boring*. And then at the end they go back to the - destroyed - District 12 and live off what? With anyone else around? I believe some people came back, but it was left so divorced of feeling. And that was my other main problem - there were no emotions at the end. I understood that one of the effects of what Katniss went through was an emotional numbing, but it never ended. And I did want her to just give in at some point in time to declare her love for Peeta. I know the book wasn't about romance, but war - BUT the first two books focused so much on their relationship that the third one came out of nowhere. It was about expectation for me. I expected a little more consistency. I'm good with what she added, but I felt she took away too much. Yes, I wanted my cake and to eat it, too. :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:09:00 pm »
Whoever made that has way too much time on their hands.  LOL
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:30 am »
:)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »
I read the trilogy last month, I wanted to read the first book before the film and I devoured it in a short space of time. I wasn't disappointed with the film, obviously you can't stick everything in it, and I was happy with the end result. The only problem with it was the bouncing camera shots in the first ten minutes :X. Motion sickness sitting still is a new one!

I was absolutely furious when they went back into the Games in the second book and at the whole love triangle. Always thought Katniss saw Gale as a brother. But there were moments in Catching Fire that were better than The Hunger Games.

And I don't know what to say about Mockingjay I'm still in shock.