Author Topic: Cultural Anthropology, Mythology, or Archaeology Reads?  (Read 9825 times)

DC_Jaguar

• Tool Wrangler
  • Fiat justitia omnibus
    • SVelasquez Photography (via deviantArt)
Cultural Anthropology, Mythology, or Archaeology Reads?
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:50 am »
Anybody know of some good non-fiction books that may relate to cultural anthropology and/or archaeology? I've already done some reading of the the journal Cultural Anthropology, but I was wondering if there were any books. I have particular interests in the Pleistocene (Ice Age), Native Americans, Meso-American Civlizations (especially the Incas), and cultural books about Africa. Mythology, though not exactly non-fiction is fair game, too. I've currently have the books:

• The Autobiography of a Winnebago Indian
  • Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman
  • Nuer Journeys, Nuer Lives
  • Cro-Magnon
  • Letters from The Field by Margaret Mead
  • African Myths and Folklore
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:19:13 pm by DC_Cheetah »
"The wicked flee when no man pursueth, but the righteous are bold as a lion." ~ Proverbs 28:1

"Don't be embarrassed of who you are, they're gonna judge you no matter what you do." ~ Melina Kanakaredes

"Hide yo kids! Hide yo wife! There be otters in the roof of Wal-Mart!" ~ Galby

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Cultural Anthropology or Archaeology Reads?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:08:31 am »
Oh, gosh... Ishi, the last of his tribe?
Is "Devil in the White City" too recent, and the wrong subject matter?  It is about the building of the Chicago World's Fair & the serial killer working there at the time.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:12:44 am »
Hmm, I'm afraid the last book I read that could fall under Cultural Anthropology was by Shere Hite.

And this, at least large parts of it:
"Fetishism in West Africa: Forty Years' Observations of Native Customs and Superstitions"
http://www.archive.org/details/fetichisminwesta00nassuoft
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:17:42 am »
That medieval economics book Janilee was reading, maybe?

DC_Jaguar

• Tool Wrangler
  • Fiat justitia omnibus
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:20:47 am »
Patti: I wouldn't exactly categorize Devil in the White City as anthropology. It seems more like a true crime book, but it looks really good. Thanks! ^^

Gerd: Genius! I should actually mention that I love learning about Africa.
"The wicked flee when no man pursueth, but the righteous are bold as a lion." ~ Proverbs 28:1

"Don't be embarrassed of who you are, they're gonna judge you no matter what you do." ~ Melina Kanakaredes

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
Re: Cultural Anthropology, Mythology, or Archaeology Reads?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:15 am »
Interesting. I am stumped as to recommend you something, but I might want to read some of those you listed :)

The only thing that pops into my mind is Sex With Kings by Eleanor Herman, but that is not exactly inside of your parameters is it. More history than anthropology.

Have you tried the Jean M. Auel books? fiction but very well researched fiction based in stone age times.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Janilee

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:58:18 am »
There is the classic, The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People by E. E. Evans-Pritchard.

The last one that I read that was purely anthropological was The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory by J. M. Adovasio (Author), Olga Soffer (Author), Jake Page (Author)

Jared Diamond id good. Brian Fagan is fun.

Run African anthropology through Amazon. Lots of different things come up and you might find what you are looking for there.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:26 pm »
Do you have any interest in expanding outside of cultural anthropology into, say Biological or Paleoanthropology?  If you are interested in archaeology you might benefit from expanding the perimeters.  The Sixth Extinction by Richard Leakey, or perhaps something like In the Footsteps of Eve by Lee Berger.

This isn't specifically on any of your preferred topics, but, I would highly recommend The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman.  It focuses on the Hmong people in America and some of the resulting culture clashes particularly those surrounding a young child diagnosed with epilepsy.

Since your in DC you have a good chance of finding some interesting books in some of the local bookstores and libraries too.  I remember finding a decent section in the bookstore near the Farragut North station.

Are you interested in any specific elements of African culture?  Do you have any specific goals, or are you just interested in reading for fun?

DC_Jaguar

• Tool Wrangler
  • Fiat justitia omnibus
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:52 pm »
Elef: Mostly interested in reading for fun. I'm an anthro minor because of how much I enjoy learning about people. Actually, I wouldn't mind reading about forensic/applied anthropology. If anybody knows any books on that topic, that'd be cool too. Paleoanthropology also enthralls me.

Janilee: I'll have to look into The Nuer. Thanks!

Varg: Yeah, I've been recommended them. I also have two of the Kathleen and Michael Gear books, too.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:28:08 pm »
Ah! My first degree was a combined degree in Soc-Anthro, with some archaeology thrown in, so I've taken classes in a little bit of everything. For forensics,  Death's Acre (Dr. Bill Bass), Bones (Dr. Doug Unbelaker), and Teasing Secrets from the Dead (Emily Craig) come to mind first.  Can you tell it was my preferred field? :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 02:39:28 pm »
Fiction in that field includes Aaron Elkin's "Gideon Oliver" mysteries.  LOL He's based out of my Washington, University of Washington, in fact.  Usually it's archeological anthropology- solving crimes through study of old(ish...) bones, but there's one, "The Dark Place" set in the Olympic Rain Forest on the Olympic peninsula where there are actual NA "Indians" and their culture in action.

DC_Jaguar

• Tool Wrangler
  • Fiat justitia omnibus
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:26 am »
Elef: My gut told me you had a lot of experience in anthropology. Forensics is an extremely interesting branch of anthropology and combines my two greatest loves: anthropology and criminal justice. I will definitely be looking into those books.

Patti: Sounds interesting. I'm actually about to read a Kathy Reichs novel. I've seen some episodes of Bones and wonder if her version of Temperance Brennen is just as good as the show.

Janilee

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:41 am »
I've read all the Kathy Reichs novels except her new YA book. They have grittier plots than the Bones series. I do enjoy Bones, but the Temperance Brennan in the novels is more in touch with the culture around her.

DC_Jaguar

• Tool Wrangler
  • Fiat justitia omnibus
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »
Sounds interesting, Janilee. I like my mysteries nice and gritty.

Janilee

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »
I enjoyed them greatly. I also enjoyed Lyn Hamilton's "anthropological" mysteries. The protagonist  was an antique dealer in Canada. Not as anthropological as advertised. I understand why an editor might push them that way. They are not as gritty as Reich's work.