Author Topic: I have a question about Mercy!  (Read 3367 times)

Wild_flower

• Tool Wrangler
    • Facebook
I have a question about Mercy!
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
I love your books, I first started on book 2 oddly. It was the only book that interested me in this gift shop in the hospital...

You do a great job basing your characters on facts relating to them, bu on Mercy's coyote part, you have said coyotes do not mate for life. I love your Mercy books but now I wonder why you say that? I'm in school for animal care and in fact they do mate for life, some find their mate as young as 2 yrs old... And they were known to the native americans as "little wolf"   

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: I have a question about Mercy!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »
Hey there Wildlfower, and welcome to the forums.  This is actually Mike -- Patty and I are traveling for book signings etc.  She just spent several hours signing, and is getting ready for bed, so I'm answering for her.

Actually, about the only thing that can definitively be said about coyotes is that they like to defy description.  For the record, I have a degree in Fish and Wildlife Management, and have lived aNaround coyotes my whole life.  They're nothing if not adaptable.  So, there were some early studies (early 80's) that showed coyotes mate for life.  However, further study reveals that this is usually a temporary monogamy, lasting at most a few years.  In a pack, the alpha male does most of the breeding, but there's usually some opportunistic copulation from secondary males.  Also, pack behavior (like everything else) varies widely.  Some packs are strongly organized, others are really nothing but a loose hunting cooperative.  The bottom line is that coyotes change behavior by region, by subspecies, and on an individual basis.  Patty said coyotes don't mate for life -- and I'm sure that there are, somewhere, dozens of coyotes who have.  Read ten studies and you'll get ten different conclusions. :(

However, Patty asked to to say that although coyotes don't necessarily mate for life, Mercy certainly can.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:49:48 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?