Author Topic: Just finished River Marked  (Read 12516 times)

midnight

• Tinker
Just finished River Marked
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:39:36 am »
Hi Patty, I've just finished river marked and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. You are an extraordinary/incredibly talented writer. Even though river marked is very different from the other books in the series, it is still an excellently written story with incredible characters. (and in my opinion anybody who can create stories that are very good whilst being very different from each other, is an excellent writer).

So anyway thank you for another very enjoyable book.  :)

skaternurse

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Just finished River Marked
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
Good thing today was my day off! All I can say about RiverMarked is WOW!! and keep them coming. Thanks Patty for the great story.

ktmac

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »
Happy Belated Birthday!
and WOW ,  Got the book on the way to work, started it on my break and just finished it! 
LOVED it!  thank you    ktmac

threers

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:35 pm »
    Thanks for giving me such a wonderful day.  My boys got a "Drop everything and read day" for homeschool,  because I couldn't put the book down.  The letter to Adam was beautiful.  I  never  imagined that Mercy would make me cry.  WOW!
     I can see a Field trip  back to the Columbia River happening in the near future.  Thank goodness my one son has to study Oregon this year.   

megeveland

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »
Wow...  Thank you for the great story.  I could NOT put it down... WOW.  (I am soooo articulate!)

Alpha

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »
It is amazing how wonderful you write ... I have enjoyed the Mercy Thomson Series, and I know it takes you a lot longer to write the books than it does those of us to read them.  However, I sure hope that you have more in line for Mercy, Adam and the pack. 

May you continue to bless us with these experiences

~ Alpha ~
  Jessica

Jblake27

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:26:32 pm »
Mrs. Briggs,

I can not even put into words how much I loved your book. I have waited an entire year waiting for the book to come out. So many questions ran through my head and my poor nails were worn to the quick this past week. You did not disappoint. I read the book twice and has now been added to my very short list of favorites. I read my favorites over and over until the binding just can't take it anymore. Crazy, I know. But on the plus side I have bought more than one copy of several of your books. Thank you so so much for sharing your amazing talent with the world.

Jessica C

chrisp

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
OK - I'm not a regular poster, so I hope this is in the right place... I finished River Marked on March 1 (Yeah, I didn't do anything else that day... So?)  Wow, it was great... what's next?  bOuNcY When I remind myself, I remember that it's not just a matter of writing down what happened.  But WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!?!  Sorry... I am currently re-reading my favorite passages - which is driving my teenage daughter nuts, because she hasn't read THE BOOK yet.  :D  Soon (if she vacuums and cleans the kitchen) I will reward her with THE BOOK.  But if she does not work, she cannot reap THE REWARD.   Bwa ha ha ha!!!

brooknm

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 09:05:12 pm »
I finished River Marked on Wednesday. I had to give a few days, and now I am going to read it again. I got it in the mail after work, and was determined to read it no matter how tired I was. I think I may have slept through parts  ;)  So I figured it would only be right to read it once more to make sure I didn't miss anything.

But I have to say, my initial reaction is that I enjoyed the book very much. It was different from the usual pack business/vampire, ect, with really only a bit of a fae influence. I thought it was about time Mercy got some digging done on her heritage, it is such a huge part of her. I loved Coyote, what a great character. He was not my Samuel, and I certainly hope Patty does not think he is neatly packaged and put away after Silver Borne (another book I loved). I mourn the loss of the walking stick, but I suppose it is for the best. It was going to go rogue, eek! >D

I started reading Patty's writing with Moon Called, and I think  I've managed to read just about everything, and I have to tell you, she's never let me down. Thanks for excellent reading, Patty, and I look forward to hopefully many more good reads!

**Spoiler tags added for those who haven't read it yet.
Patti L. (a.k.a. Duchess of Ditz),
Busymoddy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:30:19 pm by Duchess of Ditz »

mthree

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:26 pm »
River Marked is wonderful and satisfying! I have started other books, put them down and re-read River Marked.
Thank you!

Angela Knight

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:10:54 am »
I adored RIVER MARKED. Not only did I adore it, I got off my lazy a$$, went to Amazon. and gave it five stars.  Then in my review, I suggested everyone go hunt down your earlier fantasy books and devour those too, as I have done. I am currently listening to WOLFSBANE on my iPod. Yes, I read the book already, but I enjoy listening to the audio versions too.  A delicious yummy of a book!

//slurp!  :P

jjmcdonald

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:12 pm »
I have to say I was a bit confused by "River Marked". I loved the beginning, and the return to the standard of which I have become used to in the last few chapters. But much of the middle was a bit of a loss to me. I felt as if I was in a Tony Hillerman book Both in style and speech. Not what I was used to.
Patty's writing style and discussion is very good in the Mercy books. it flows and it goes. But I admit that I was a bit adrift in the middle of "River Marked". There were some parts that were contrived. And the sense of humor was not there again until late towards the end.

I know that authors thrive on praise and often cringe at critique. And I believe that I am an honest reader. And I am risking Suicide by Werewolf in being critical, but I did not enjoy it as much as I have the others in this series.

Jim McDonald

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »
"Suicide by Werewolf"?  LOL

I don't think you need worry for that, Jim. Honest critique is welcome. We all can't like every book and saying so just means this one wasn't to your taste, there's nothing wrong with that.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
Yes, there were plenty of people who were unhappy with Iron Kissed, eh?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 02:08:52 pm »
hehe, I started to answer that with a "Really?" as if it was hard to understand not liking Iron Kissed.. it was one of my favorites, Bone Crossed was probably my least favorite, but it's all a matter of taste so that 'really?' thing is totally inappropriate of me! 

I enjoyed River Marked very much, but I love Coyote stories and I loved trying to figure out all the puzzle pieces of the middle.  I got a real charge about Coyote's remark about introduce species and all over the topic of the Otter Kin. 

I also think the tone has changed a bit because the main characters are already well defined, now new characters have to work around them.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

cass137003

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 10:44:48 am »
Loved it absolutely loved it. Patty you are very talented and can't wait for more. bOuNcY I love this whole series and the Charles and Anna one as well. Thank you for these wonderful books, only wish it was time for the next one  ;)

Treesong

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:33:49 pm »
I enjoyed this so much I had to find this site and tell you. I repeatedly found myself grinning with delight, and there are few books of any sort that do that for me. Things like the surprise wedding and 'Best five dollars I ever spent' and 'Are we there yet?' and wolves eating coyotes and so on. Thinking back, I'd guess just about all of them, except some with Coyote, would probably have  fit at least as well in a magicfree romance novel, not that I've read any. Marriage is good for her. I've enjoyed all your books, but this is my hands-down favorite.

Had to add just one more spoiler bar...  – Ellyll, Moderator

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:03:02 pm by Ellyll »

proberts1110

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »
I absolutely loved this book, because it was so beautifully detailed, so lush, and had so much feeling.  I have to describe it in visual terms:  it was like the difference between a beautiful tapestry and someone drawing a stick man on a piece of paper.  I just wanted to live inside it for a while.  Bravo. 

Patricia Briggs always writes good stories, but this one was something special.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:45 pm »
Thank you all :)  I write the book I want to write -- and then I worry.  What if people don't like it? Of course there are people who won't.  What if no one likes it?  And of course, if it were dreck -- someone would like it.  I have a friend who is a writer of many books, some of which are not under his name.  In one such case, he was writing a book for a computer game -- and another friend was writing a different book.  Some silly person on the game company's end got a *brilliant* idea.  Instead of publishing the books separately, they could take a chapter from one book and then a chapter from the other -- making people buy both books to get a full story.  This was after the books were written so neither author could make their stories work together in any fashion.  And then, someone screwed up and mixed up the chapters.  And still, my friend had someone write a review of this poor hash of a book (in which neither story was ended -- or even comprehensible since the chapters were mixed up) and said it was amazing and the best book he'd ever read. 

However, I am very pleased that YOU liked it :)  Very happy for your favorite parts -- and sad for the parts that didn't work as well for you <grin>  If this wasn't your favorite book, maybe the next one will be!

Hugs,
Patty