Author Topic: Patty's Live Blog @Bitten By Books  (Read 6743 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Patty's Live Blog @Bitten By Books
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:00:33 pm »
Patty did a live blog today at Bitten By Books. This is the transcript from it. Lots of great Q&A here. Enjoy!

Quote from: Patty Briggs
Hello (Patty waves at everyone at BBB). Deployment day is almost here for River Markedand I’m in my usual nervous frenzy. I meant to lose those first ten pounds before the signing tour (sigh). Do I need to get a hair cut? And when is the next book due? And all those little niggling things of real life don’t go away just because I’m going to be absent most of March. Ten horses cause as much drama as any ten three-year-olds who weight over a thousand pounds each. It’s my life and I love each and every minute of it.

Mercy is about to go on the adventure of a lifetime that started for me when my editor called and, rather apologetically said, “Patty, I know you are deep in this book — but I really need to know what the next book is going to be about so we can get Daniel Dos Santos started on the cover art.” She promised to call the next day and I started brainstorming with my husband, Mike.

I told him the things I wanted to put in this one: a little bit more about the walkers, mostly, which would give the book a Native American theme (Moon Called: werewolves, Blood Bound: vampires, Iron Kissed: fae, Bone Crossed: vampires, Silver Borne: fae). The books usually take on a life of their own and other elements come into play, but I start them with the idea that I’m going to explore something new or deeper this time. Mike asked, “What about the river? Are there monster stories about the Columbia? Any large body of water regularly kills people — and that spawns monster stories.” Mike knows whereof he speaks because he grew up near Kalispell Lake in Montana that has several such legendary monsters. He was right, there were stories and I found them River Marked.  was one of those books that come along once in a while and really almost write themselves. I hope you all enjoy the journey as much as I did.

Christina S., USA

Hi, Patty! I’m really looking forward to River Marked! I own all the other books in the series :)

– How many books are planned for this series?
– Since this book has a more Native American theme and the Walker, will we be finding out more about Mercy’s father?
– Will her mother have more screen time? (She’s awesome!)
– Could you explain more about the death mark thing the vampires put on Mercy’s garage?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Christina S.
1. Me, plan? Seriously, though, at this time I have no plans for ending the series. As long as I’m enjoying myself — and readers are interested, I’ll probably keep going. I do promise to stop before I get stale.
2. Yes.
3. She gets a little bit of onstage time. However, I must confess, in advance to a mistake on my part. I remembered that I named her after the mother of a friend of mine, but forgot that I decided, at the last minute, not to do that (naming characters after people I know is to be avoided where possible). Margi is right — but in RM I have her full name as Marjorie, when it should have been Margaret. Noticed it with the help of my early readers — but too late to change for the first edition.
4. Basically it was a retraction of the “protection” (ala mob) that Mercy had because she agreed to repair the Seethe’s cars for free in return for not getting killed by the vampires — and an announcement that Mercy’s death would please Marsilia.

Carol M. says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks, Patricia, for joining us here at BBB!

What fantasy authors did you read while growing up/

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing for relaxation?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Carol M.
Off the top of my head, some of my favorite fantasy authors growing up were Andre Norton, Anne McCaffery, Joan Aiken, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Nickolas Stuart Gray.
For relaxation I do things with the horses. Riding, grooming, feeding. I read or hang out with Mike (my husband) and the kids (who aren’t really kids at this point, except to me).

wont says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Patty: In the past Bran spent much of his time and effort keeping the wolves secret for their safety. Now they are public, will he allow them to make use of modern medicine’s progress and try to have children via surrogates?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

WONT,
Bran is being very cautious. Using surrogates or any other reproductive technology is bound to attract attention. How do you think hate groups would respond to werewolves reproducing themselves? That’s what Bran thinks too. It is a possibility in the future — and remember, werewolves can afford to be patient.

Julie C. says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi Patty ! I love your books they are absolutely awesome.

I know you’re on contract for 7 Mercy and 3 Alpha & Omega, do you want to write more after that, how many in both serie ?

I recently see on your website that you will write one book a year from now on. Those it mean we’re going to have a Mercy each two years and an A & O each two years as well. Not that i’m complaining, i understand the decision and wish you all good but i’d like to know.

Thanks for the wonferful worlds you’ve bring in my life.

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

JULIE C.
Thank you :)
As I have said, the Mercy books will keep going for a bit. I’m writing the next Alpha and Omega now — but I’m going to open the in between Mercy books to other books set in Mercy’s world. Maybe with Samuel as a protagonist — or someone I haven’t used before.
I’m actually going to try to make it a book every 9 months, but we’re counting on once a year. With publicity and rewrites, delivering a book every six months meant writing a book in four months — which I can do. But it doesn’t leave any time for unexpected events, research, or that odd book that just doesn’t want to come together. I don’t want to produce dreck, just because there was no time to fix it and make it a good book.

Rae M. says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I’m trying very hard not to be a complete spazzy fangirl, but seriously I am such a fan! It’s probably for the best that I am not anywhere near your vicinity as you might quietly call for a restraining order.

Just wanted to let you know your fans appreciate all your hard work.

I’ve always wondered if you are a fan of Scooby Doo and if that’s why Stefan has it painted on his van?

Have you ever thought about writing short stories or novellas about any of the other characters (besides Charles and Anna)?

When you go to Cons and signings do you get nervous or is it something more exciting?

Is there anybody (author or otherwise ) that you would turn into a fangirl over meeting?

Thanks so much for being here. Can’t wait to read River Marked!
Rae M., USA

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm

RAE M

1. The whole Scooby Doo thing happened because I was trying to figure out what Stefan drove and was unhappy with any of the obvious German cars (so Mercy could fix his car). I was dropping my son off at the local community college when I saw this VW bus painted up like the Mystery Machine — the rest is history. (As you all know, the real mystery machine was really based off an old Dodge van)
2. Yes. Warren and Kyle have their own short story “In Red With Pearls” coming out in the anthology DOWN THESE STRANGE STREETS which will be out October of this year. If I do not write a Samuel book, I will absolutely have to write a short story about his romance with Ariana — it was impossible to do it justice when I could only write it from Mercy’s viewpoint.

AC says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Auds T, USA

Hi Patricia, thanks for joining us @ BBB. Looking forward to River Marked.

-How did you feel when the Mercy series moved to hardcovers?
-How do you feel about ebook phenomenon in general and the pricing in particular?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

AC,
1. I was not initially happy with the move. The first three Mercy books had done very well and I didn’t want to mess with success. I have since discovered several things — First, it is easier to sell a hardcover than a paperback at book signings. Surprised me, too. Second, libraries carry hardcovers. (My mom was a librarian, you’d think that wouldn’t have surprised me). I had several librarians approach me and thank me for the hardcovers because the paperbacks just wear out too fast. Third, Daniel Dos Santos covers, while awesome in mass market size, are unbelievably beautiful as a full hardback.
2. Ebook prices. I’m pretty happy at the compromise that my publisher has come to, that is that ebooks are priced at a dollar less than the paperbacks. Ebook pricing when the book first comes out in hardback seems to be causing more trouble. The $12.99 Kindle price is between a dollar and two dollars less than their discounted hardback price, which seems fair. What I think would be neat would be to include the ebook with a hardback purchase — like some BlueRays come with the DVD version included. I’ve chatted with my editor about it, but it has to go pretty far up the line in Penguin/Putnam for something to happen.

Karen Tavares says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hi Patty! I hope you’re having fun during the pre-release frenzy = )

If you could work with any author who would it be?
What is the hardest part of writing for you?
What advice would you give aspiring writers?

Thanks for coming to BBB and answering our questions.

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Karen T.

I’m a control freak. I don’t think I could work with any other author, especially as most of them are as control freaky as I am .

The hardest part of writing for me any more is the publicity. I am not an extrovert by nature. Though I am just fine during any actual event, I get pretty nervous beforehand.

My first advice to anyone who wants to write is — read. Read the genre you want to write in — and push yourself to read outside your comfort zone.

Viki S. says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hi Patty -
I haven’t read you yet but I love the theme behind your books.

Who are some of your favorite authors at the moment and do they change over time? I just keep adding to mine :) .

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Viki S.

I love to read and my favorite authors is a book by itself. Here’s a few of my favorite SF/fantasy authors who’ve I’ve read recently: Jim Butcher, Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, Nalini Singh, Jane Fancher (go check her OOP stuff out — as well as OOP and revised books by CJ Cherryh & Lynn Abbey out at http://www.closed-circle.net/), Nickolas Stuart Gray, Win Spencer, Mike Carey, and John Levitt.

And yes, I just keep adding . . .

Peggy Johnston says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Peggy J USA I did RSVP
1. When you are working on a book do you get ideas for future books? If so is it hard to keep story lines seperate in your mind?
2. Do you have to do lots of research for the books or do you have an assistant to help you ?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Peggy J.
I have self-control . I’ll put good ideas aside for future use, but when I’m focused on a book, I can stay focused. I do have more trouble when side characters step up and tell me that they need to take center stage.
Yes, I do research, mostly on real world stuff because the fae/vamps/werewolves are all critters I’ve been “researching” my whole life. I read a lot but when I need to talk to people I use my secret weapon: Mike. My husband isn’t really my assistant, but he’s much better at cold calling people (like the curator of weapons at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the forest ranger who’d spent the better part of his career in the Cabinet Wilderness area) and getting them to talk. I get shy, mumble a few questions and apologize for bothering them.

Scoot says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I am soo excited for River Marked to release. My sister-in-law got me started on the series ages ago and we both love it. I think it might have been asked before, but have you ever considered branching off with more characters from the Mercy series? We would love a book about Stefan.. or Sam…! :)

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Hah. That’s what happens when you hit tab and then keep typing!

Scoot,
Thank your sister-in-law from me. Yes, I am considering it. The next round of contracts has two more Mercy books and a third — something in Mercy’s World novel. I might also write a series of short stories around different characters and see if I can’t put out an anthology.

Elaine G says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Elaine G-Canada

What do you like to do to celebrate finishing a book?

If you could be any character from your books for a day who would it be and why?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Elaine G.

I go get a good solid eight hours of sleep . Truthfully we usually go see a movie — or take my poor been-sitting-for-eighteen-hours-straight (because, even when time is not a factor, usually the last 1/3 of the book just wants to get written) and do something physical. Go for a walk in the sunshine. Fly kites. Something like that.
Any character? Maybe Zee. I bet Zee could get some stupid fence posts down into our basalt ground . Or Marsilia. It would be nice to have minions
Definitely not Mercy. Mercy gets beaten up too much!

Cindy McCune says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m reading Silver Borne right now…love Mercy and her menage of alpha’s in her life. She’s so strong. Was it hard for you to write a rape scene?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Cindy M.
Writing the rape scene was both horrible and quick. By the time I finally decided not to fight the story, I knew what had to happen. Powerful scenes do that to me. Emotionally very difficult, getting words on paper very easy.

The scenes that I fight are the transition scenes. Moving characters from one place to another, trying to figure out how to make a necessary for the plot scene interesting. Emotionally very easy — getting the words out much tougher.

Dorkchops says:
February 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hey Patty, first I want to thank you for having the link to Holy Lisle’s How To Think Sideways course on your website, her teachings are AMAZING! Every time a new Mercy book comes out I feel like I have a key to a secret world, I don’t know many people that have read the books but I have forced some friends to read the whole series, that is after I finish the book myself. Noticed you listed Great Big Sea on your music list, I’m from
Newfoundland as well. :) (Moon Called also got me back into reading novels on a regular basis so double thank you!!)

1. Other Authors sometimes ask readers questions so do you have any for the us? :-P

2. Who is the hardest character to write for? Does anyone’s voice just fade out between books and you have to get out the cattle prod?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Mel H.

I believe in not reinventing the wheel. Holly did a fantastic job (better than I could do) — and was kind enough to post it to the web for all of us to take advantage of. Love, love Great Big Sea. If you all aren’t listening to them, you’re missing something fun. Check them out on YouTube if you don’t believe me.

1. Okay readers. If you could date a character in an Urban Fantasy (other than mine) who would it be?

2. Anna is my most difficult character. She is very subtle and sometimes eludes me for a long stretch of time — which is funny because in the original short story “Alpha and Omega” she was practically shouting in my ear. In Cry Wolf, it wasn’t until I slipped in the Greek bits in one of my fairly late revisions. She was a little easier in Cry Wolf — and is running right along with the current book (I’m holding my breath that she continues.) Charles, I might add, has never been difficult.

Rhianna says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Rhianna W. (USA)

Howdy Patty! Nice to see your interview here on BBB. I’m feelin’ a little guilty here because I’m behind on the MT series. Everytime a series switches to hardcovers it throws me off. But anywho… I thought I’d ask some questions.

Your Mercy series was a shocking amazingly coincidental find. I’m from Kennewick but moved to Montana as a teen and really get homesick for the Tri-cities when the winter here is bad. One of my favorite things about the series is that I kind of get to go on a mental trip back home. What are some of your favorite special places, in the Tri-cities area, that haven’t popped up in the series? I really miss the Spaghetti Establishment and chasing seagulls at Keewaydin Park. I’m also love the Desert Lawn Memorial Cemetery, I learned to ride my bike there actually. lol

It’s been a while since I’ve heard anything about your Alpha and Omega series. I’ll admit I didn’t really care for it (please don’t hate me!) but am curious as to whether you can give us any deets on book #3…?

River Marked is supposed to bring in the Native American elements which I am excited about. Thank goodness I made you my blog’s author focus for March maybe I can get caught up and read it soon. What kind of research—aside from your river monster stuff—did you do for this book?

And lastly, just for fun, if River Marked had inspired an ice cream flavor, what would it be?

Before I forget I wanted to add… I often see Mike commenting (both on your site and elsewhere) for ya and I think he makes a great partner in that regard so I have to give your husband some super-props for being such a great support. I wish you both the best and safe travels on your upcoming book tour! I wish you guys were coming to Central Montana! ;)

Sorry if I’ve been a total goob, my fangirly adoration and homesickness are totally begging me to be obnoxious and my “behave yourself and act professional” blogger side is trying to keep it in check. Thanks for answering everyone’s questions.

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Ahh. Moving from the Tri Cities to Central Montana (unless that is Billings or Great Falls — both of which we Native Buttites — pronounced B-yute-eye-ts not Butt-ites — consider Eastern Montana) must have been a shock. I love riding among the vineyards.

I don’t many deets on A&O book three yet. It takes place in Boston and involves serial killers, the FBI and Homeland Security. Any more detailed and things are too apt to change at this stage. And I don’t hate people for not liking my books :) How horribly to live in a world so homogeneous that there would be books that Everyone liked!

For RIVER MARKED I reread a few of my Tales of Native American books, made a day trip to Maryhill (which we go to often anyway) and visited the museum and Horsethief Lake State Park. Talked to a few Native storytellers and listened to a few more .

Oddly enough, there is Ice Cream in River Marked. There’s this little gas station in Biggs (across the river from Maryhill) that has awesome ice cream. Still, the obvious answer is Rocky Road. Have you ever driven on the dirt roads in this part of Washington?

Mike is awesome, funny, and incredibly smart. If I made him into a character, no one would believe him because he can do anything. And I am not kidding. Okay, he can’t do the splits. But anything that requires brain power (just as long as you call “calculus” “physics”).

van p. says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi Patricia!

Can’t wait to read River Marked when it comes out!

My question are:
1. I love all the covers for your novels, do you have any input on them?
2. Will you be at the book convention in L.A. in April?
3. Many adult authors branch off writing young adult novels, do you see yourself doing that sometime in the future?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Hi Van P.

1. Sort of. I say, “Please get Dan Dos Santos for the next one.” To which my editor replies, “Did you think we were stupid? Of course he’s doing the next one.” I say (for Iron Kissed, “Tell him not to put the monkey wrench on this one.” So he doesn’t. So I don’t say it when he’s doing the cover for Bone Crossed. He emailed me the cover, and, after I ooooed and ahhhd (and bought the painting, my first) he said, “And did you notice? The monkey wrench? It’s ba-ack.”

2. No LA for me in April. I’m traveling all of March, first on signing tour in the US, then on signing tour for my French publishers in Europe. Yes, I know, it’s a hard life. By the end of March I’ll be babbling, hopelessly stupid for a while, and therefore will not appear in public in April if I can help it.

3. YA authors are far more talented than I am. I can barely keep up with the books on my schedule now, I don’t see myself switching to YA. Although I have a lot of YA readers reading my books.
My very smart husband just popped by and corrected me. It is not a monkey wrench, it is a crescent wrench. Since he’s the one who uses them in our family, I bow to his greater experience. (Mercy would know which one it was )

heatwave16 says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Hi Patty!!! I will admit that I have not started your series, yet. Everyone raves about it, but it seems like my free time is just non-existent. I do wonder if I can pick your brain about horses. My other half loves to go riding, and 2 summers ago a group of us went on sort of a trail walk with a guide. I had a few issues, so I told her until I get a robot horse, she was on her own. Honestly, an animal that big kind of freaks me out. Any thoughts on how I can get over my fear of riding? I love animals, but I prefer any upclose experience with ones smaller than me. :)

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Heatwave16.

1. Take riding lessons from a reputable teacher. To find these, call your local large animal vets, farriers (they advertise in places like craigslist) and anyone you know who rides horses. Riding in an enclosed arena on a well-trained lesson horse is a lot safer than trail riding a hired horse — and it feels that way! Trail riding is the single most dangerous thing you can do on a horse because there are too many unknowns involved that you have no control of. And the horses are not always that well trained.

If you like horses, you might like my traditional fantasy (which has lots of horses). Try Dragon Bones or Ravens Shadow

Martina M. says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Hello Patty,

I’m a big fan of your stories and it makes so much fun to read them!

Q: I remember having read that you are interested in German fairy tales: how comes?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Martina M.

One word: Castles

Seriously though, my sister (who is four years older than I am) used to read me fairy tales every night before we went to sleep.

Has says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hi Patty!!!!

I know your working on Alpha and Omega 3 right now but I was wondering will we see anymore hints/impact of Anna settling in Aspen Creek and how is Leah coping with this new dynamic in the pack and will it be a plot point in the future. (Sekretly wanting Bran to end with someone else) :D

By the way I was lucky enough to get River Marked this week and I nom nom nomed it and it was BEYOND WONDERFUL!

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Hi Has!!!! (Waves across the ocean)

I’m not sure how much we’ll get about Aspen Creek in this book and how much will come out later or in short stories.

And yes, I know. I don’t like Leah either. But he picked her, just for that reason. And now he’s stuck and I don’t feel sorry for him. Or not very sorry. I honestly don’t know what’ll happen between them — only that there is a lot of story-making energy in that relationship!
And I am so relieved/glad that you liked River Marked!

kimberly says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hi Patti!
Love, love, love both your Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series. I have greatly enjoyed the excerpts released so far and cannot wait for River Marked.

This may be a lame question, but I have always been curious as to how involved Mercy and Sam’s relationship was prior to her leaving when she was younger. From her perspective was it still pretty innocent in young love? How far had things progressed when Bran intervened?

Thank you for answering our questions!

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Kimberly,

If Samuel seduced a sixteen year old physically as well as emotionally, I’d have to hit him with something very hard. I am pretty sure his father would feel the same way and would have done something more drastic than sending Mercy away. So, no. It had not gone that far.

And no, it was not a lame question at all, but something very important about Samuel’s character.

Patrice says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Patrice T. Florida, USA

I mentioned on my RSVP that I have been anxiously awaiting River Marked, SO excited. (and for the next Alpha & Omega, too) I just love both Mercy and A&O series and have talked them up to everyone! Your worldbuilding is extraordinary and the characters are so realistic, like friends. I’m sure people have listened to my friends and I discussing Mercy and others and wondered what kind of strange people we knew! LOL Ok, I saw you mentioned you may write a short story featuring Sammuel and his lady? Please! I worry about Sammuel. :) I better ask something.

1. Last years have seen several of your earlier books rereleased and a sequel for one of those series. I wondered if going back to earlier stories you wrote presented any unique challenges? Was it easier or more difficult and in what way(s)?

2. You’ve said River Marked deals more with Mercy’s Native American heritage and a river monster legend. Which skinwalker legends did you research, any particular tribes that had specific info that worked for your books? What kind of beastie is the river monster?

Thanks so much for doing the chat today and for hours of reading pleasure! I have not been lucky enough to live near a booksigning with you, but I hope to make one someday. Continued success and joy to you and your loved ones!

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Patrice T.

I love my imaginary friends, too :)

1. OMGoodness did it present unique challenges! Wolfsbane wasn’t difficult as it was actually the fourth book I wrote (when I sort of know what I was doing) and then it was revised back between Raven’s Shadow and Raven’s Strike (shortly before Moon Called). Masques, on the other hand, was my first book — and it had been written almost twenty years ago when styles of writing were very different than they are now. There are parts that I still love, and there are parts that I threw away. Probably, it would have been easier to scrap the book and start again — but then it wouldn’t have been Masques. So I polished the worst bits and stuffed the worst plot holes with straw and sent it out back out into the world.

2. You know, if I could do it again, I’d have found some other thing to call Mercy. I still think that “walker” would have been stuck on any shape shifters because one of things that it was hardest for the early pioneers to get through their heads was how different each of the Native American peoples were from each other. But Skinwalkers are evil. They are bad, nasty people who use skins to take on other shapes (you can always tell they are Skinwalkers from their human eyes) and they go out and make people sick. They are horrible. And the only thing they have in common with Mercy is that a coyote is one of the most common animals they turn into. It is, however, perfectly understandable that readers get confused between the two and I should have picked a different name for Mercy.

My walkers are wholly made up — though they blend quite nicely with Native American stories where a person might go walking in the woods and meet up with someone who looks human enough, but is actually a moose or a deer or a bear. Or that same person might find himself in the body of an eagle or salmon. I do read a lot of Native American lore and pick the brains of my Native American friends, too.

The Columbia River monster comes from real stories. There is a wonderful Coyote story about her (which I retell in the book) and there is a River Devil carved in the stone at Horsethief Lake State Park, just a few miles from the location most of River Marked takes place in.

Jessica S. says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Jessica S. from the USA

Hey Patty! I was wondering how many books do you have planned for this series?

Will we get to see more of Stefan? I love his favoritism to Scooby Doo, being a big fan myself. What made you think of Scooby Doo for this vampire to favor?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Jessica S.

I have no limit in mind — just when I am tired of writing about her. Which time will not be anytime soon :)

Oh yes, there will be more Stefan. I’m pretty sure it will be in the next book — though he has some screen time in River Marked as well, mostly because I was missing him, too.

Check my answer to Rae Ann above to see the story of the Mystery Machine. And really, once the idea had been brought to my attention, what is cooler than a vampire who loves Scooby?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:42:44 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Patty's Live Blog @Bitten By Books
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »
Actually, it's still getting longer . . . Patty's been in posting responses for the past couple of hours!  Boy, the ask a lot of questions!!!!   LOL
Where's my super-suit?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:29:58 pm »
I'll make sure to visit back and grab the rest. :) Thanks, Mike!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Piper

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »
Thank you, Elle!!! :-*
"When children are difficult, they just need a nap.
When men are difficult, they're dubbed born leaders.
When I speak my mind, I'm considered a b**ch"
"B**ches rule!"

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:48:40 pm »
My pleasure, Piper!  :-*

Here's some more. The first post wouldn't let me add on. Too many characters! ;D

Nancy Gilliland says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm

First let me say I enjoy each Mercy book as it comes. I’ve been waiting to hear more about her fathers people.

Do you think Mercy and Adam will have a big family in the future?

Do you think Mercy and friends will ever venture to other parts of the country for adventures?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Nancy G.

I plan that far in advance It would be a nightmare to write a story around five or six kids, but kinda cute thinking about Adam (and Darryl!) dealing with them, isn’t it?

I don’t see Mercy doing much traveling (that’s the A&O books), but it could happen — especially as Adam has to travel quite a bit for one thing and another.

Hah. I’m getting tired. First sentence should read, “I don’t plan that far in advance.” So add a “don’t” and end the sentence with a period.

Some days I hate the “Post” key . . . .

Claire M says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Hey Patty, thanks for stopping by today! I was lucky enough to get my hands on River Marked today, I’ve got 100 pages to go and I’m completely in love with it! I’m loving the focus on Mercy’s Native American background. And the river monster is really creepy…

You said you don’t have any plans for ending the Mercy series at the moment, but is there some kind of set ending you have in mind for her when it is time for the series to end, or will that be something that gets figured out along the way?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Claire M.
Ah — my publisher will be upset that a book escaped the “Thou shalt not sell before X-date”. My favorite was when Iron Kissed made it on the NYTimes list a week before it was released (I know how Has got hers, she’s a moderator on my forum and we’d be lost without her) As for me? I’m very glad you’re enjoying it.

I have vague arm waving notions that I refuse to tell anyone because I know myself and know that they are bound to change.

Michelle A ( novelsontherun) says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Michelle A ( novelsontherun)

AUSTRALIA

Morning!! I made it. Didn’t sleep through any alarms 6.13am. Forgot teenager son had grumpy verbal fight with little bro so he is sleeping on mattress in computer room. I just came stumbling in half asleepand kinda woke him…oops!! Now I’ve super skim read all those questions , I shall try and be original.

Hi Patricia * waves* ,

Firstly , congratulations on an awesomely written series. I am very addicted. Just love , love , love Adam and all your characters. Mercy , bless her what a great female character.

1. Stefan , does his love for Mercy eventually get him in a pickle with Adam? ( cause he does love her)

2. Mercy’s little ‘boomerang’, walking stick is a friendly little thing, will ‘River Marked’give us some more clues to the ‘why’, of it ?

3 Samuel and Ariana, is there hope for Samuel to find the happiness he needs to survive?

4. I understand from twitter that Charles gets a book /series? How far into the future might we get to read it?

5. ( my brain is slowly waking up.. big yawn to clear the foggyness. I read until 2.30am , silly me) If you could be one of your characters for a whole day in MT series. Who would it be and why and what would you do?

6. How did this series MT come to you? e.g. Stephenie Meyer dreamed a scene for Twilight and it took off from there.

7. Do you own a Volkswagen?

8. You write Adam sooo darn strong and dependable. He ‘feels’ , like an Alpha. I love Darryl’s quiet strength with Mercy. Does he eventually soften towards Mercy like Ben has. ( I fell in love with Ben ‘s character in Iron Kissed. The poor guy and his strength to tell Adam off).

9. You have brought many different threads to your MT series. Gay, rape, politics, love, magic, death, otherworld characters….. You weave your threads so well into this seamless series. My mind boggles at how you capture all these thoughts in your head and keep adding something fast and exciting to your reads. Is your brain buzzing alot with thoughts, constantly? As you have written a lot of books. I have yet to read other than MT series, but getting there.

9. Do you get much time to read yourself? If so, name 5 authors you like to read, please.

10. ( wow its taken me half hour to write all this…)

11. Are you a red meat lady or a brownie lady?

Crikey, can’t eait for your answers. Hopefully I was original??
Congratulations again from AUSTRALIA…just seriously awesome story telling. You have a wonderful gift. I have heaps of questions still buzzing in my brain but got to let somebody else ask some:D
Have a great arvo and thanks to Bitten by Books too. Umm…just read up top again. Is contest only open to US and Canada…I thought International it said originally.. Oh well what will be will be:D

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Michelle A

If I skip a question, it’s because I answered it elsewhere :)

1.We will all have to wait and see. If it does, it will not be because Mercy encourages him.

2. Even the fae don’t understand the “why” of it. But yes, the walking stick appears in R.M. I love the walking stick . . .

3. I’m pretty sure of it at this point. Strange things do happen, but Ariana is the key . . .

4.Charles’s series is the Alpha and Omega series. It starts with “Alpha and Omega”, a novella in the anthology “On the Prowl”, continues with Cry Wolf, and Hunting Ground. Did you mean Samuel? Samuel will get something. I’ll write it after the current A&O book that I’m writing, so it won’t be something happening in the next few months :)

5. Answered

6. My editor asked if I thought I could write an urban fantasy (specifically: female preternaturally-gifted protagonis with a complicated love life involving werewolves and/or vampires), as she knew I loved them. I wanted the protagonist to be underpowered, and the focus of the book to be more on the werewolves than the vampires. Underpowered wolf equals coyote — and I was off and running.

7. Currently own 2000 VW Jetta turbo diesel. Yes, they do get 45+ miles to the gallon. Have owned two Vanagans, a Eurovan, three Jettas, and a Passat wagon — most of which (the Eurovan being the spectacular exception) either ran over 200,000 miles or were totalled in accidents. One of the Jettas was sandwiched before we bought it, we paid $800 for it and it ran another 100,000 + miles before we had to do any repairs — and then it just quietly disintegrated like our first Vanagon. I’m not convinced the newer VW’s have quite the same staying power as the older, less complicated ones.

8. Darryl and Mercy are continuing to work out their relationship — and probably will for a while.

9. Yes, mostly because I read very fast. Let me try to find a few who might be new to some of you. Just read a great and creepy horror novel that is coming out in the US in a few months from first time author Christopher Buehlman’s Those Across the River. (See I do know how to use itallics). It is lyrical and horrific (not urban fantasy) with werewolves. Kalayana Price (Grave Witch) she writes UF. Mike Carey. UF, but darker. Lynn Flewelling, straight fantasy. Her Nightrunner series is the best thing going — and The Bone Doll’s Twin is on my top five list for favorite fantasy ever.

And Brownie. As long as it has frosting.

Nikki B. says:
February 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

*waves* Hi Patty, I am so excited to read River Marked, I’ve been going through some serious Adam withdrawl! ;)

To appease said withdrawl, I bought Masques, Wolfbane, Steal the Dragon & When Demons Walk. Over on Good reads Masques is labeled as Sianim #1 & Aralorn #1 with Wolfsbane being Sianim #4 Aralorn #2 with the other Sianim bks #3&4. I gather they are two seperate intertwining series but which order would be the best order to read them? Should I read both Aralorns back to back or just stick with Sianim order?!

Also above you mentioned writing spinoffs set in Mercy’s world! Can you elaborate further?! Who would be the main character or will it be various side characters each getting their own book. Have you started writing it or is it just an idea at the moment?

Thanks so much!

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Nikki B
The Sianim books are a shared-world series with most of them pretty independent from each other. They were written in the following order: Masques, Steal the Dragon, When Demons Walk and Wolfsbane. I suspect that they also read best in that order if you are interested in the greater events happening in the world in the background of the stories.

Most of the spin offs seem to be happening as short stories. “Star of David” was about David Christiansen who was Changed at the same time as Adam it appeared first in the anthology Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. “Seeing Eye” from Strange Brew was written about Moira and Tom who later appear in Hunting Ground. Not yet published (for dates and places check my website) “In Red with Pearls” is about Kyle and Warren, “Fairy Gifts” introduces a never yet seen but too good not to reuse vampire, and “Gray” also takes place in the Mercyverse with a few new characters. Future stories are playing around in my head but nothing is firm.

Susan H. says:
February 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Hi, Patty!! I’m sssssooooooooo excited about the release of River Marked next month!! I just (as in last night) finished Charles & Anna’s Alpha/Omega stories after inhaling the Mercy Thompson stories!! You are one of my new favorite authors! Thank you for creating and sharing such wonderfully rich and compelling characters and stories. I love Mercy for her strength, humor, loyalty, and all the quirks that make her so lovable and REAL (despite the fact that she’s a walker… haha)!

So many folks have asked some great questions so far (and stolen quite a few of my questions), but I don’t think these have been asked and are focused around secondary characters.

1) Will we see more of Samuel and Ari in future books? Have they found their HEA or is there more drama in store for them?

2) I love Bran!! I find him to be so interesting and frustrating at the same time! Most of what we know about him is learned through the eyes of others, but I really enjoyed some of the glimpses of him seen in Alpha/Omega stories. Will we see more of him in future books? Is there a possibility he will have his own story? Perhaps a look at his beginning life as a werewolf?? :0)

Thanks so much for your time and your fantastic stories, Patty!!

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Susan H.

1. We will indeed see more of Samuel and Ari’s relationship, I just haven’t decided how best to do it yet:)

2. Bran is awesome — and, as I writer, I find it more interesting to drop crumbs now and again I won’t say never to a story centered on Bran, but probably not.

Dee Dee C. from USA says:
February 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Questions:

1) Is Mercy an Alpha? She has displayed Alpha-tendencies with The Columbia Basin Pack (even with Adam and Samuel) and gotten results. Even with her human-only strength, she has gained respected from vampires and high level faes.

2) Is there more to Mercy than just being half-native american skinwalker? Like is there some fae blood on Mercy’s mother’s side of the family?

3) Will Samuel join with the Columbia Basin Pack? That part confuses me the most. Samuel and Mercy made their on pack (unintentionally). Now that Mercy is mated with Adam does Samuel automatically become part of the pack? If he does, who is pack alpha? My money would be on Mercy even though she is the weakest in strength.

I love to read (husband calls it “obsessed reader”). Can’t wait for River Marked. It can’t come soon enough. I have read the MT series twice.

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Dee Dee C

1 &3. Interesting questions. No. Mercy isn’t Alpha because only one wolf is Alpha of a pack and Adam is it. In the Samuel/Mercy pack, it is Samuel, though they are not bound together with formal pack magic the way Mercy is with Adam’s pack. No — I don’t know hwo that is all going to work itself out. Mercy is, however much the rest resent it, the second in command because she is the Alpha’s mate. Where she stands in the dominance heirarchy is difficult to pinpoint because the things that make a wolf dominant sort of slide off of Mercy because she’s willing to be sneaky.

I don’t know if Samuel will join Adam’s pack — probably not. If he does, it won’t be Adam’s pack, it will be Samuel’s and Adam will be dead or belong to another pack because Samuel is more dominant.

2. River Marked explains a lot about Mercy’s background. I don’t think that there are any Fae hiding in the woodwork, but I’ve been surprised before.

Coleen K. says:
February 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hi Patty! First let me say that I love, love, love your books. I read a LOT of different series but I have to say that Adam is one of my top 5 favorites! Don’t get me wrong, I like Samuel just fine, but he’s no Adam.

I’m also a fan of the Mercy Comic Books and can’t wait for the next issue to come out (I think it’s this week). Are there any plans for the rest of the Mercy books to be made into to Comics? I keep seeing references to the Alpah & Omega comics as well but I can’t find them. Did they ever get published?

I have so many questions but I’ll leave it at this one, maybe I’ll get a chance to ask a few more when you do your books signing in Northern Virginia. I have to say that I was very happy to see you coming to the DC area. Have safe travels and thanks again for writing such wonderful books.

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Coleen,

Lots of talented people putting together the comics — I am very happy with them. As with all publishing ventures, the question of publishing more depends more upon readers than upon the publisher. If the comics do well, then they’ll keep going. I don’t have much of a sense about that :) Though David Lawrence, who writes the comics, tells me that the first Graphic Novel of Moon Called (1-4 comics collected) is in his hands.

The first issue of the Alpha and Omega books as comics came out, but the publisher was unhappy with it. It’s being redrawn (terrifically, I think) with a script that is a little sharper than the last one. I’m not a collector, but I think it might make that first comic pretty collectible . I am seeing some colored pages from this project, which usually means it’s out soon — but I’m not always kept in the loop for publication dates. Often I find out when I walk into our local comic shops.

See you in DC

Raonaid Luckwell says:
February 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm

First I have to state that I love your Mercy Thompson books. I have a friend in Texas who absolutely loves your books too. She is actually the one that told me I had to buy your books (and it’s rare for this friend to recommend books to me)

Other than vampires, Fae, skin walkers and were wolves, has there been another paranormal creature that you’ve been interested in writing about (creating into a character) or possibly introduce to your books?

If you were given a chance to live in a book series (it can be your own) which would you choose? Who would you be in that series.

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Raonaid,

I’m very glad you’re having fun, too!

1. So many creatures, so little time Seriously, River Marked has a Sea/River monster — there really is no limit! I don’t have a particular one in mind though.

2.I think I might enjoy vacationing in the world of my Raven books, or even the Dragon books — as long as I get to go home before the blood starts. My worlds are pretty dark for my comfort level. So . . . maybe Andre Norton’s Witch World. Magic + ancient artifacts and still people can live happy lives without encountering something that will eat them. I’d probably settle right next to the Lady’s Well where evil cannot go.

And, I’d be me. Anyone else wouldn’t have my husband and children

Joani S says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi there!! I have to say that I LOVE this series. I have the Alpha and Omega series, but haven’t read it yet. I love listening to audiobooks, so I listened to the series instead of re-reading them to get ready for the new release. I was wondering, have you listened to yours at all? How do you feel about the narrater, Lorelei King? At first I wasn’t sure about her voice being Mercy, but the more I listend, the more she grew on me. Do you listen to audiobooks at all? I didn’t see the audio version of River Marked set for any time soon. Do you know anything about that? Either way, I’ve pre-ordered this for my kindle. Really looking forward to it. Congrats!!

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Joani S.

I’m pretty sure that the audiobook for River Marked will be out soon. They usually show up just a little later than the book. Yes, I do listen to them — and I picked Lorelei. (pats herself on the back) I love the way she does the voices for the characters. I’m also very pleased with Masques/Wolfsbane which are read by Katherine Kellgren. Joe Manganiello (from True Blood) reads Dragon Bones and the forthcoming Dragon Blood. I could listen to Joe read a phone book.

Calliope says:
February 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm

1. Samantha B, Canada

2. (a) Will there be an answer soon about Mercy’s age/mortality? It would just so totally suck for her to have to grow old and die like an ordinary human when ALL of her friends are of the long-lived variety.
(b) In what book will THE WEDDING take place?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Samantha,

I don’t know how Mercy will age — and I don’t know when she’ll find out Sorry for the wussy answer. I do know that Mercy thinks she will age as human.

Helen G. USA says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hi Patty!!!!

SQUEEEEE!!!! SO EXCITED!!! Ok happy dance is over and I am so excited to be able to chat with Patty!!! I have loved reading about Mercy since the first day I finished Moon Called …. way back when… It seems so very far away now… but I digress… Here are my ?’s:

I know Nancy G. asked earlier(#23) about whether or not Mercy and Adam would have a big family… But mine goes a bit more in depth… could be a spoiler…but I will ask anyway…

If Mercy and Adam were to have a child(ren), would they be walkers? wolves? or a combination of both? That would be cool!!! Can you imagine a wolf being able to change at will with the ease of coyote magic…or even better… the first girl that could do that… sweet!!!

My other question is:

If you were stuck on an island what three items would you have to have? (heehee)

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Hi Helen G.!!!

1. I don’t know. Yes, I’ve thought about it. I just haven’t worked it out yet.

2. My husband – who, given enough time, will build the Taj Mahal out of items he finds laying around the island with tools he will manufacture himself. The complete works of Shakespeare. Toilet paper.

Victoria Zumbrum says:
February 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm

2. Have you wrote any other books?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Victoria,
With the publication of Wolfsbane, all of the books I have ever written are now in print — and listed on my website.

Lisa Richards says:
February 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Lisa R smalltown, USA

What makes you happy? Sad?
Where do you dream of doing some day?
If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?

Patricia Briggs says:
February 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Lisa,

1. Many things make me happy — from sunshine, to horses, to the gray cat sleeping on my couch in front of me. I tend toward happiness unless acted upon by outside forces.

2. The usual things make me sad, but I don’t stay that way for long.

3. I love the mountains :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:29:40 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »
I think this is everything now.  :-[  Fabulous blog today. Really wonderful questions and answers.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Piper

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »
Thank you, Elle!! We really appreciate it!!! :-*
"When children are difficult, they just need a nap.
When men are difficult, they're dubbed born leaders.
When I speak my mind, I'm considered a b**ch"
"B**ches rule!"

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:18:44 pm »
I love that, Elle.  Thanks!  :-LOVE
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »
Thanks Elle! I so agree! Love the tidbits we got! And I am very very happy we are officially getting more Mercy/Mercyverse books :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:08:01 am »
Thanks Elle, that was a nice chat! So can't wait to get my hands on RM!

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle