Author Topic: Edgar Rice Burroughs  (Read 8105 times)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Edgar Rice Burroughs
« on: November 30, 2007, 11:38:36 pm »
Has anyone read his books?

He wrote the original Tarzan series (his most famous), the Barsoom series (John Carter series), and several other stand-alone novels and shorter series (the venus series, pelucidar, etc.).

I haven't read many of the Tarzan series, but my mother began reading me the John Carter books before I could talk. ^.^

I've noticed that someone has begun re-releasing some of his books. Most of the books are very entertaining, but unless you have a good used bookstore nearby, they can be hard to find (which is why I'm glad they are re-releasing them).

I "read" them for the first time when I was about 9-10, but I still find them awesome.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
Re: Edgar Rice Burroughs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:39:45 am »
I read Tarzan and a couple of books in the John Carter series.  They were a lot of fun, especially the Barsoom books.   :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:36 am »
I believe I've read ALL the Tarzan books, including a couple that are seldom published.  Haven't read Barsoom, but did -speaking of reading *all* the Tarzan books, read many if not all the Pellucidar books, including 'Tarzan at the Earth's core'.    One of my favorite actors from the 70s & 80s was in an adaptation of the first Pellucidar book(s) that I believe was made for tv.
And, this shows my weird obsessions; the guy that writes the really bad westerns I'm addicted to wrote both a Tarzan spin off and a Pellucidar follow up volume with the permission of ERB's estate, and I've read those, too.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:45:50 am »
Did he do a bunch of books about people traveling to the center of the earth, but it was actually hollow and had a fake sun and had mute intelligent dinosaurs that had human slaves?  I remember taking out a bunch of books from the library when younger and seeing mention of Tarzan books in the foreward. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 10:48:21 am »
Dat's der bunny.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 10:48:54 am »
Huh?
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 12:07:30 pm »
yes.  I gather you're not a Diskworld reader, GD.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 12:46:40 pm »
Only a few of 'em.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 01:06:47 pm »
Ah.

Well, I've heard - don't have any idea if it's true, but I've heard - that ERB had some kind of bet about how bad a book could be and people would still buy and read it, something to that effect.  And then got stuck doing over 2 dozen sequels to Tarzan because people just wouldn't let go.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:02:10 am »
Has anyone read his books?

I think I read just about everything he ever wrote during my teen years.  The whole Barsoom series (yeah SFBC and those killer Frazetta covers!  :D), the Pellucidar series, the Venus series, most of the Tarzan books.  I used to love those books.  They were a great mix of action, beautiful women and exotic locations.  When I went back to re-read some of them as an adult years later, I have to say I found them less enjoyable, outside of the nostalgic appeal.  They really show their age compared to more contemporary writing, and are very much a product of the "pulp fiction" era of scifi and fantasy.  :)
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:20:41 am »
That's for darned sure.  Consider just the movies, and the attempts to revive the series on TV a couple of times since.

Same thing with some of the other old series, which is a pity, they were fun.  The Doc Savage stuff, not quite as bad, but funnnnny these days!  They were a bit funny & outdated when I read them in the 60s & 70s, but now?  Wow!

And they're reprinting some of the Doc Savage books in trades the size of the pulp magazine, 4 'novels' to each, as well as some others from the same age.  Some Shadow and another 'pulp' series -- Black Mask?

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:39 am »
A good overview of his work, with links to many available for free download, is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs

see also here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a48

and here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#burroughs