Author Topic: Historical Fantasy Romance!  (Read 12897 times)

RoseOnyxis

• Grease Monkey
  • Why is she spinning her web ♫
    • Rose's deviantArt
Historical Fantasy Romance!
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:23 pm »
I'm looking for some good historical fantasy with romance! Urban fantasy has been my favorite for a while now but I'm in a princess/prince-y mood these days.

Examples:
- Dawn Cook's "Decoy Princess" series and her "Truth" series (I've read the first 2 books from that and I'll probably continue with the last 2, but for right now, I've lost my interest)
- "Sorcerer's Legacy" by Janny Wurts
- "The Prince" by Elizabeth Minoque (one of my favorite books! not very well known, I think though)
- I recently read "Beneath the Thirteen Moons" by Kathryne Kennedy and I really loved the idea of the story, but the relationship between the main characters was primarily based on sexual attraction, so, while sex is no problem for me, if it's the main factor in the relationship, it becomes boring.

It doesn't have to be strictly romance, but I'm not looking for an LOTR type of story where the romance is just a dash on the side.  My favorite part of relationships in stories is the chase, how the two come to be together - so with that, lay it on me, what are you suggestions?

bOuNcY I'm excited!

Ooo artsy things =D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Historical Fantasy Romance!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:42 pm »
Well, first, let's double check terms... you say "HISTORICAL  Fantasy Romance", but the series you use as reference that I recognize is not historical.  LOTR?
So, do you mean "Fantasy Romance not taking place in essentially a fantasized version of this world at this time"?  If so, I could suggest some things.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Iduna

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:03:26 pm »
P.C Cast - Divine series
Christine Feehan - Carpathian series
Fred Saberhagen - Dracula sequence, ebay is the only place that my sister could get them.

RoseOnyxis

• Grease Monkey
    • Rose's deviantArt
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:08:36 pm »
Oh, I suppose historical is not right.. :-[ I only put it there because that's what it says on the spine of the Decoy Princess books so I figured that's what the overall term for the genre I wanted was. I just mean something not set in our present time period, but a time (real or fictional), with royalty and the like.. Maybe similar to medieval times or the renaissance.

Ooo artsy things =D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »
"Romantic Fantasy" or "Fantastic Romance" would work.

Well, Robin McKinley's books almost always have some lovely romance, and usually royalty.
Shoot, I'd suggest just mining the "Speculative Fiction" threads, read the first few posts on each author, find out what they're writing.  charmed (one of the mods of the area) is very good about trying to get some idea of the specific sub-genre within the first 4 posts or so, you can see if there is romance as well as the fantasy adventure.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »
( I loved the decoy princess. All of the stories that I make up , except one or two, is in the same thing you like.  :P)
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

RoseOnyxis

• Grease Monkey
    • Rose's deviantArt
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »
Thanks Iduna, I'll look all 3 of those up!
Rose - I really loved the Decoy Princess too! You write stories, do you post them anywhere online?

I read through a couple pages of another 'book recommendations' thread in this section, but there seemed to be  more urban fantasy or fantasy without romance and there were hundreds of authors in the speculative fiction section that I got overwhelmed at the thought of looking through each of them so I thought I'd try starting this thread. I spent a couple hours looking up some of the other thread suggestions a couple nights ago and that's how I found the Sorcerer's Legacy, a good read! :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:36:48 pm by RoseOnyxis »

Ooo artsy things =D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »
The King's Bastard, by Rowena Cory Daniells, was good.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:10 am »
The Warprize Trilogy and Palins trilogy by Elizabeth Vaughan- the former is being rereleased by Berkley later this year!

C.L Wilson's Tairen Soul series

Anything by Emily Gee - she is fantastic and most recently although its easier and cheapest to get it in ebook format right now is Grace Draven's Master of Crows.

All of these books have historical/fantastical settings some are more smexy than others but at the core the romance and the worldbuilding is well thought out and drawn as well as being great reads!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 08:00:52 pm »

Rose - I really loved the Decoy Princess too! You write stories, do you post them anywhere online?

I have put one up on the writing block on Hurog but it is not about the Castle fantasy ,kind of thing ,because this one my mom wanted me to put up. I have lots of stories and story ideas but I really need to work on my way of writing it. Then eventually I hope to become a published writer. It is kind of like my dream.  :P

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:09:44 am »
Have you tried Mercades lackey's Herald series? Some of them are more romance than others, but off the top of my head I can only think of one or two books that had little or no romance.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »
The Enduring Flame byMercedes Lackey and James Mallory . There is a bit of romance in the third book but not before it. And there is not a whole lot of it like as much as you may be looking for but I really enjoyed the book. I think they have another series that happens before this series too. I still have to read it. I read it backwards but I still loved it. It was a great series.  bOuNcY bOuNcY Read it!  bOuNcY bOuNcY

RoseOnyxis

• Grease Monkey
    • Rose's deviantArt
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:39 am »
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Ooo artsy things =D

cherie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:30 am »
Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince & Sunrunner Trilogies, most of Anne McCaffrey's books (well, not so much the later ones I think) have a romance/relationship aspect to them.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:27 pm »
You might try "Sorcery and Cecilia" and the sequels, as well as the spin offs "Marelion the Magician" (I may have spelled his name wrong) and "The Magician's Ward", as well as "A College of Magics" and the sequel; the title escapes me at the moment.
Lois McMaster Bujold's "Chalion" or "Five Gods" series; she's only done 3 of the 5 so far.