Author Topic: Grace Draven  (Read 16246 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Grace Draven
« on: December 09, 2010, 02:58:33 pm »
*Sticking my bookpusher hat on here*

I was asked to review a book by Grace Draven called Master of Crows - and you know those books that really surpasses your expectations. This was one of them. I cannot say enough good things about the book.
This is the blurb
What would you do to win your freedom? This is the question that sets bondwoman, Martise of Asher, on a dangerous path. In exchange for her freedom, she bargains with her masters, the mage-priests of Conclave, to spy on the renegade sorcerer, Silhara of Neith. The priests want Martise to expose the sorcerer's treachery and turn him over to Conclave justice. A risky endeavor, but one she accepts without hesitation--until she falls in love with her intended target. Silhara of Neith, Master of Crows, is a desperate man. The god called Corruption invades his mind, seducing him with promises of limitless power if he will help it gain dominion over the world. Silhara struggles against Corruption's influence and searches for ways to destroy the god. When Conclave sends Martise as an apprentice to help him, he knows she's a spy. Now he fights a war on two fronts--against the god who would possess him and the apprentice who would betray him. Mage and spy search together for a ritual that will annihilate Corruption, but in doing so, they discover secrets about each other that may damn them both. Silhara must decide if his fate, and the fate of nations, is worth the soul of the woman he has come to love, and Martise must choose continued enslavement or freedom at the cost of a man's life. And love..

Her writing really reminds me a lot of Patty's traditional fantasy although with more heat ;) - I really highly highly recommend her series - I already pushed it onto Elle who loved it! And I will def be glomming on her other books. She was a breakout author for me this year!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Grace Draven
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:02:20 pm »
Mods! Has pushed me!  ;D

This was an amazing book. I can't say enough good things about it. Characters were so layered, the world building solid. Humour, angst, romance. The best thing though was the story. It kept me guessing right to the end. I couldn't figure out how Draven would resolve the issues that she had written the characters into and I love it when that happens.

I haven't read any of her earlier books but I'm looking for them. Definite breakout author me this year as well. Thanks, Has!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »
;D
I am so glad you enjoyed it - and *rubs hands* beware of future book-pushing too ;)

-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »
Mods! Has pushed me!  ;D

Now don't make me have to separate you two!  LOL

So, how would you two describe this: spec fiction with a romance, or romance with a magic element? 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »
Its fantasy romance - its set in an imaginary world but the core part of the story is the romance but that does take away attention from the setting. Think more in the vein of Anne Bishop/Lois McMaster Bujoid and Sianim series.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:14:58 pm »
Thanks, hon.  :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:06:54 am »
I can't find it anywhere. :-'
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:51:50 am »
Amazon has it.  :)

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »
Maz you are better off getting the ebook as its def cheaper but amazon does sell the print book but its pretty expensive :P - I think you can order it directly on the Amber Quill site
http://www.amberquill.com/MasterCrows.html

But check your internet store or amazon to see if its cheaper. I know you hate reading on the screen :S I know you will enjoy it though!

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 01:25:35 pm »
You convinced me :) I have put it in my wish list.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:37:41 pm »
Heh heh heh  >D

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 01:58:26 pm »
:(

-Leo Tolstoy

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:00:18 pm »
 LOL

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 02:02:04 pm »
*nods*  :-\

-Leo Tolstoy

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 02:17:06 pm »
LMAO LOL

Hey you should have known - my other self is the BOOK Pusher :P - And if its any kind of consolation I resemble those icons too :S :D