Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 112285 times)

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2008, 07:19:37 am »
just finished Foundation.  sooo many unanswered questions.  want next book!!!!
 ;D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2008, 11:44:43 pm »
I know! On the other hand, I'm just glad she's writing about heralds again.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2008, 09:41:56 am »
Yeah, same.  It's mostly the Herald books of hers that I enjoy  ;D
can't wait for more of the pretty talking horses

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2008, 10:43:24 am »
I enjoy looking for the recurring characters, since they reincarnate.  Haven't seen too many so far.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2008, 12:32:02 pm »
Yeah, and many of the ones they mention in that guide book were such minor characters I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. But I think we've all picked up on Savil, right? *grins* I don't think we'll see many companions who were heralds in this one, but we might see some heralds who will be companions in the books that take place later.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2008, 12:36:56 pm »
Zealith, did you notice the name of the King's Own's Companion?  :o

I wonder how many go through cycles of being both more than once?  I still want to see Taver again after/before he showed up in the Storms trilogy.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2008, 02:35:51 pm »
I actually liked Kellen in obsidian trilogy. probably bcs I find myself missing the obvious so often. I also liked the way that the wild magic worked. I wanted more information about that myself.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2008, 06:38:24 pm »
Avarel- I enjoyed the Obsidian Trilogy too. Have you read the next series yet? It's set in the same world something like 1000 years later. It's not too bad, but does not have the detail of the first trilogy. Although only the first and second books are out so far. One of the names is The Pheonix Unchained, I don't remember the other.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »
Patti, unless I'm making this out of whole cloth, I seem to remember her saying in one of the books (Arrows Flight I think) that ALL of the Monarch's Own are Grove born stallions named Rolan.  It always implied to me that it's either the same spirit, or part of a diety that takes that possition every time.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2008, 06:59:13 pm »
Patti, unless I'm making this out of whole cloth, I seem to remember her saying in one of the books (Arrows Flight I think) that ALL of the Monarch's Own are Grove born stallions named Rolan.  It always implied to me that it's either the same spirit, or part of a diety that takes that possition every time.

I think you may be right about that. That really sounds familiar but I could not tell you which book it came from.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »
No, all Companions for Monarch's Own are Grove born Stallions, but not all with the same name.  Anybody remember the foofaraw when Selenay's father died, and the other Haralds had to hold the King's Own to life by sheer force until the next Grove Born (Rolan) could make his way from the Grove to the battlefield?  Come to think of it; wasn't his first Companion's name Taver?  And besides the fact that Tedric was very old, that 'otherworldy air' he had from nearly reaching The Havens was why the situation with baby Elspeth got so far out of hand.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:46 pm »
Just grove born, I think there's a grove born Mare
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2008, 10:42:25 pm »
Okay, originally, in about the first 3 or 4 generations, all Companions were Grove Born.  When mares started foaling, it slipped over to only the MO's C.  Then, when Elspeth reached the point of being ready to go to Herald training, Gwena was Grove Born, because she was destined to be the first Herald Mage in 400 years.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »
Yah, that sounds right.  I can't remember real people's names to save me, so I really wasn't sure about the Companion's names.   I did remember about why Gwena was the first (non MO) that was Grove Born for ages, and that there were other instances of such, but they were exceedingly rare.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2008, 09:00:21 pm »
In the guide, I can't remember its name, it stated there were 4 Monarch's Own Companions... they take turns coming back when one dies. If you pay attention, you'll notice in The LHM trilogy, it is Trever, in Brightly Burning it is Rolan, then there is the jump to Seleney's father's reign with Trever again with Rolan coming back right after that.