Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 116960 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2008, 07:44:31 pm »
Obsidian, that's the series I can't get into. I do like Elizabethan era elves though. And I *think* Shadow of the Serpant was a retelling of the disney version of snow white. 7 Hindu gods, aka dwarfs, an apple that causes a sleeping spell... I want to find Fire Rose, I've been getting into reading the different interpitations of Beauty and the Beast recently, it's amusing to see all the different spins one why/how the beast became the beast.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2008, 09:00:18 pm »
Yes, Shadow of the Serpent is Snow White - roughly, and I'd say 'Disney' as much as anything - I don't think she had a corset or comb anywhere, just the apple :)

I haven't managed to finish Sacred Ground or any of the modern elves.  Absolutely right about different tastes.

Exile's Honor, about Albrecht, was one of my all time favorite Valdemar books - but I think it can only be enjoyed if you've read through Arrows and Mage Winds, at least.  I also really enjoyed the stuff that (I think) came after the Mage Winds trilogy - with the Son of the Sun and the invading military guy from the Empire who has such a heart of gold - can't remember the name now, but it's obvious from the beginning so I don't think that's a spoiler. I found Karse an interesting country and enjoy the way she developed their theology.

The bird/bard books are not bad either, though they haven't gotten me so sucked in as the Valdemar books have. I even buy the short stories for those.

I found the first of the Obsidian Trilogy really engrossing, but agree that it is seriously flawed.

As for the fairy tale retellings, I have to say that, while I agree with Patti that the Black Swan has a carboard villian, for some reason, I still really enjoyed it.  I think I may just be a sucker for fairy tales :)

And I really do enjoy the Fairy Godmother - in that one Cinderella's story is not turning out the way she'd like (the prince of her land is 10 when she's fully grown) so she takes her fate into her own hands and goes out to get paid for her labors.  That's how she ends up an apprentice fairy godmother. I really enjoy the concept of hte story and the humor throughout. I find the idea of the Tradition and how it can be used intriguing and I think she's doen a good job with that in the series.  There are some things that are a bit obvious, and some things (especially in One Good Knight) that are tied up just a little too quickly and neatly, but I still enjoy them.  I can't give them a whole hearted endorsement, but that's only because I know people have... different tastes. So we are always back to that :)
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2008, 09:08:24 pm »
I'm with you there.
I also think she may be suffering a bit from her own success.  She's re-using material she's already done, to get the most milage out of it.  The wise fool in the latest 500 kingdoms book is just like (although not *actually* despised ) the hero of the version of the "Firebird" she did.  And that was another that I felt was rather 'cardboard'.  He gets all this good stuff just because he's youngest?  And his elder brothers are all that arrogant & cruel, with no particular reason? Pshaw.
Demeter, did you read the 2nd book about Albrecht, "Exile's Valor"?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2008, 09:09:57 pm »
The thing about BLack Swan was that it gave me a good basis for the original story, even if the villian wasn't the best. I fully admit I'm not very good with remembering the basics of different fairy tails.

I love the Honor books, and I'm hoping she keeps the tradition of having three of that one.

And I really loved Firebird. Though I can't give a spicific reason.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2008, 09:14:56 pm »
Patti - yes, I read Exile's Valor, although it was all too short for me :)

Funny thing - I remember reading them voraciously and loving them so much, I have to work to recall details now though.  Too much other stuff in my brain I guess.  Which should make re-reading them lots of fun!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2008, 09:20:10 pm »
 ;D your dispenser of excuses, as well as pusher of crackbooks.
Speaking of which, I got my "Snippets" thread sorted out into chronological order.

I'd still like to see more of what's happeining in Valdemar proper during the Owl trilogy.
Oh, Sarah Hoyt & one of her better minions from BB have a story in the next Valdemar anthology that's coming out within - er, probably a year or less.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2008, 09:28:01 pm »
Excellent!  I shall rely on you, my favorite book pusher, to keep me informed of the latest Lackey stuff :)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2008, 09:32:58 pm »
I want to read the founding of Valdemar, and the Sun and Shadow story.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2008, 09:36:16 pm »
the Oathbound, Oathbreaker, & Oathsister collections, which do impinge on Valdemar.
You're behind the times, Zealith.  It's even the same style of cover, although at least the colors differ!  It's blue instead of black & brown.

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2008, 03:08:10 am »
I like what I have read of Mercedes Lackey, which consists of the Vaneyal series.  I want to read more, but I must wait until it is again the school year, and I have access to my best friend/roommate's books.  I think that she was going to hand me the Tarma and Kethry books next though there were several others that she was going to have me read (something about elves in the modern day and much of the rest of the Valdemar books).

I look forward to reading more of her stuff.

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »
I really wasn't a fan of the racecar elves, but a friend of mine loved them, so don't take just my word for it. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2008, 04:55:36 pm »
i love her valdemar books and a few other of her books but i couldn't get into the serrated edge series or the diana tregarde books
i do hope she writes a few more valdemar books at some point

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »
I'm just the opposite. I really enjoy the Serrated Edge, Bedlams's Bard and Diane Tregarde stories. Her more traditional fantasy mostly leaves me bored.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2008, 05:03:49 pm »
I'm just the opposite. I really enjoy the Serrated Edge, Bedlams's Bard and Diane Tregarde stories. Her more traditional fantasy mostly leaves me bored.
  ;D that really is funny how opposite we are then
i also liked the obsidian trilogy books by her (i forgot to mention those previously)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2008, 07:49:45 pm »
Hah!  I liked the bards books, but I HATED the first Obsidian book.  I just couldn't stand how damned stupid the main character was.  Hey, you think the unicorn just might be leery of your sister because she's not a virgin, moron? She SAID SHE HAD KIDS!  (sure they're feathered, but that counts)
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"