Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 112154 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:20 am »
I just saw that she has a new book out in the Elemental Master series:

Richard Whitestone is an Elemental Earth Master. Blaming himself for the death of his beloved wife in childbirth, he has sworn never to set eyes on his daughter, Suzanne. But when he finally sees her, a dark plan takes shape in his twisted mind-to use his daughter's body to bring back the spirit of his long-dead wife.

Since these are all based on fairy tales, which one is this, do you think?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:37 am »
I think it might be based on a Scottish tale, The King Who Wished to Marry His Daughter.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:13 pm »
Okay, that's both creepy and cool. Creepy because, well, look at the title. And cool because it is a great example of the shared myths across cultures and time as described by Joseph Campbell b/c googling it revealed the theme of "marry the person who fit the clothing/shoes." This also reminds me somewhat of Robin McKinley's Deerskin, which is definitely creepy. They look like they're based off of the same myth.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2011, 01:10:05 pm »
One of the reasons I was obsessed with mythology growing up. :)  I had forgotten about Deerskin... Of course, most of those tales are truly creepy in origin.  Btw, thanks for pointing out the new book.  It's one of the few series of hers that I still read.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »
My first thought was the myth was used for "Deerskin". I may skip this one until I hear what others have to say. That story always creeped me out.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2011, 07:51:53 pm »
The father & mother did, poor Princess whatzit was  a good kid, as was the prince who sent her the puppy.

I have not kept up on the Elemental Masters... I don't really enjoy her Victorian era takes on the fairy tales much, or haven't except "Fire Rose" and er, what was the "Sleeping Beauty" one with the half Hindu doctor?  They were okay, but the ones since then don't do anything for me.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
The Serpants Shadow is the one you're refering to, I believe.

The only ones I didn't really like in this series was the Wizard on London one and the Gates of Sleep. I don't believe I'm familiar with the fairy tale she's using this time, so I'll probably only read it if my library buys it. I am looking forward to Beauty and the Werewolf, the next 500 Kingdoms book. I've found this series is very hit and miss for me, but I love werewolves, and the Beauty and the Beast story, so this is definately on my to be read list for this fall.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2011, 08:36:33 am »
The Serpent's Shadow (my favorite of the series) = Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Fire Rose = Beauty and the Beast
The Gates of Sleep = Sleeping Beauty
Phoenix and Ashes = Cinderella (another favorite of mine)
The Wizard of London  = The Snow Queen (meh)
Reserved for the Cat = Puss in Boots
And now Unnatural Issue = The King who Wished to Marry his Daughter

Janilee

« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2011, 08:41:03 am »
I enjoyed Reserved for the Cat. I sort of felt it had a sequelish feel.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2011, 11:45:28 am »

Sequel to what?  Or do you mean "like something that could produce a sequel"?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Janilee

« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:46 pm »
Something that could produce a sequel. LOL

Janilee

« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2011, 10:21:02 am »
I just finished Legacies: A Shadow Grail Novel by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill. Now I read this book just after I read Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney. DM is also about a boarding school for magicians. I'm trying not to compare them here.

Legacies has in internal darkness. Their parents have all died. Many in what appear to be strange circumstances. All the adults that care for the students appear not to be trustworthy. The school is facing an attack and the administration is telling everyone not to gossip about disappearing students.

Three student who've been at the school and two who have just joined, Spirit the narrator has just arrived, try to fix what is wrong with the school.

I like the story, but find the situation a bit unreal. (And as a reader of speculative fiction that's saying something.) The amount of social pressure put on the students by the faculty is far too great for there not to be mental cracks showing. The character depth is not what I'm accustomed to from either Lackey or Edghill. I think they've made a start. I hope they fix what I perceive to be problems.

Mouse

• Tinker
  • I failed the Turing Test
« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:46 am »
I have to say, having read Legacies, I didn't feel it really matched up to the quality of books I'm used to reading by these authors. I found it very shallow and predictable.
I really hope the sequel is better.
"Just because a promise becomes desperately inconvenient doesn't mean you don't have to keep it." Mercy Thompson in Iron Kissed

Janilee

« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31:55 am »
That is not unlike how I feel. :)

Temari

« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:45 am »
This one was my least favourite. I felt it had some good ideas, but the writing was very poor. A lot of the plot lines led absolutely nowhere - it was like she'd had some ideas but hadn't the time to put them together properly.

I really liked Fire Rose and Serpent's Shadow. I think these were the first she wrote, which would make sense as most of her older books are far better than the recent ones.