Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 112296 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »
I had another thought.  We know, although most of Valdemar, even among Heralds, don't realize it, that you never have only one Gift.  Only one may be strong, but there are always at least traces of more.  Besides his strong Thought Hearing/Mindspeech, what else does Mags have?  Sounds like maybe truth sensing, but is that a separate Gift, or -  is he an Empath as well, and in training for next Monarch's Own?  Given his link to Dallen, who I like very much, I don't think so, but what else is in him?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »
Well, we know it isn't mage craft (well it could be, but he can't get training in it), so:
firestarting
animal mindspeech
luck (reveiled in the last collection of short stories)
farsight, farseeking (can't remember exactly what its called >_<)
Fetching
foresight

Those are the only ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2009, 10:06:17 pm »
He could have (probably doesn't, but could, remembering Vanyel) some Healing or Bardic Gift.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2009, 07:18:16 am »
Now why did I forget those two?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2009, 07:53:42 am »
Because they're not typically Heraldic gifts.  They have their own Collegia.  She hasn't written much about the folks studying/living there, with those as their focus.  It's all about the Heralds, baby.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2009, 08:08:19 am »
True, true. lol. I'm thinking we can rule out luck, his childhood wasn't that lucky. He doesn't seem to be an animal lover, so animal mindspeech is probably out too. Firestarting is pretty rare, and she's already done one book focused on a firestarter. Mybe fetching or farsight?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:50 am »
I doubt the other gift is going to be the main thing, but it might make a sub-plot, or an interesting twist on how he uses the Mindspeech.  Remember the guy from "Oathbound", the bandit, who had the gift to make you look at him and think you were seeing someone else?  What if it's something like that?  Now, THAT would be a great gift for a spy!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2009, 08:46:50 am »
True! I'd forgotten about that. That would be interesting to see again.

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2009, 09:02:47 am »
I just noticed this thread, which is a nice coincidence since I started rereading Valdemar books during my convalescence.  I think this latest series is going to be more focused on the political climate rather than delving into more esoteric Gifts.  One of the things I like about Misty Lackey's Valdemar stuff is that she keeps trying to find ways to keep it fresh.  I think she's going to have a tough go of it with this series, though, because the first book seemed to retread territory covered in the Alberich and Skif novels.  Hopefully I'm wrong, and it will surprise me in the next book!
Find what you love and do it!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »
I'm - in re-reading - also not as thrilled with this as I could be.  There's a heck of a lot of wordage spent on the "I'm getting all I want to eat, I'm warm and not dirty" stuff.

Temari

« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:36 am »
I've just been reading Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar. I've also read a couple of her other new books in the last year - and re-read some of the older ones too. What I feel is that her recent writing seems to be quite poor compared to her earlier books. In Reserved for the Cat, it felt like she'd written some nice scenes, but then not taken the time to tie them together. In Moving Targets, I just felt that again that the tale was rattled off without much attention. I enjoyed the other stories by different authors more, whereas in the previous books of Valdemar short stories I'd enjoyed hers as much or more than the others.

I wondered if I'd just changed my tastes in reading, but I still love some of her older stuff. Perhaps she is writing too much too quickly?

I wondered if anyone had any other thoughts on this?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2009, 11:28:59 am »
I've noticed that too.  :-\ I still love her books, but they aren't as good as the ones she wrote ealier.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2009, 12:34:20 pm »
She's trying to do too much, I suspect.  She's got Valdemar, the 500 kingdoms, the elemental masters, the SERRAted edge, the Phoenix/whatever things in Victorian elven stuff, the Lion stuff, and she's supposed to be working on another Karres novel, plus the parrots, the raptor rehab, the filking, and the costume design.  Not getting enough attention to any one thing, I suspect.  And is she working on the Alta/dragons in Egyptian type land thing any more?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2009, 02:35:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure she's done with Alta. Those were good ones too. I think you're right Patti.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2009, 02:37:01 pm »
There haven't been any new SERRAted Edge books that I'm aware of for several years. I do agree that her quality has gone down. I haven't bought one of her books in a couple years.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.