Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 112157 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2009, 07:52:28 pm »
*laughes* DIdn't think of it until you said it, but it would totally fit into the fairytail story line.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2009, 07:56:44 pm »
Well, the whole "found in the bandit camp, told forever that he's bad blood, has noble instincts, crazy assassin says something to the effect of 'you're not supposed to be here' as though he recognizes him,' yeah, it's kind of telegraphed, to me.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2009, 08:20:22 pm »
I figured he had to be the son of some one important. I was actually thinking a bandit lord or something.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »
Possible, but not what I'd expect from this author.

You sure can see him planting the seeds of the Collegium process of turning out self sufficient little Heralds, though, can't you?

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:56 am »
I think Mags has a lot to do with the process they put Heralds thru "now".  I am not sure about a long lost prince but I do think he was stolen from his family.  I am curious to see what direction she is going with this.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2009, 10:44:26 am »
Mags is a very interesting character, that and his speech style just reminds of a quaint little English kid.

I don't think he is a lost Prince, but he probably isn't what he thinks he is though. I am thinking he might be noble or from a rich merchant house.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2009, 01:26:48 pm »
Some one important's son apparently. XD I've enjoyed it so far, not as much as The Arrows trilogy, or the Last Herald Mage trilogy, but it's interesting.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2009, 08:48:41 pm »
There's only one so far, the following volumes could be way more interesting, or, given that we're pretty 'up' on how Haralds are trained, and the changes in the process, from before & after, we may be a bit bored.  I think she's going to have to lift it out of the Collegeium surroundings to really wake us up.  And, given that it's volume one OF "The Collegium Chronicles", I don't think that's going to be the case - unless Mags becomes staff of the place in a way that we haven't seen before.

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2009, 11:20:16 pm »
I have a feeling that this series will follow Mags during his Grays and that's why it is called the Collegium Chronicles.  As such, the books will show how it develops.  However, I'm sure that it will go out into Haven and politics and even out to Blueflower Hill and Cole Pieter's mine - possibly even out of Valdemar to whatever country from which those mercenaries and "merchant princes" came.  Since that assassin recognized Mags, his family was (or is!) probably from there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:21:55 pm by berryblu »

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:25 am »
... Since that assassin recognized Mags, his family was (or is!) probably from there.

Ooh I forgot about that.  Must re-read :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2009, 05:38:38 pm »
I'm also thinking about those recurring dreams of being chased and or hunting for something important.  I wonder if he's the brother or cousin of the actual heir to something big, and was charged with looking out for her or him.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »
Hmmm. Sounds like I need to pick this book up soon. It sounds interesting.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »
 :)  Since Mags was only a baby when the bandits were killed and he was given to Cole Pieters, I doubt that he was charged with care for anyone.  I do have a feeling that his dreams may mean that someone was searching for him.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2009, 07:28:42 pm »
Yes, but given that the dreams are enough to wake him in a sweat of fear, is that a good thing?
Also, she's on this spy kick lately.  She's made Albreicht (I know, I'm not spelling his name right) into one, she's had other stuff about that in the Valdemar stuff, now she's turning Mags into one.

I wonder how soon he's going to start getting interested in sex, too.  And which it'll be.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2009, 08:54:10 pm »
I loved Alberitch(no clue on spelling either) as a spy. It was rocking.

I also look foreward to Mags being a spy. ^_^ It'll be interesting.