Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 78996 times)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #360 on: October 16, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »
Have you read the Valdmair series?
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

ppbwashu

• Mechanic
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #361 on: October 17, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
Oh, yeah, Gryph, all but the latest one released this month.
Find what you love and do it!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #362 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:59 pm »
I just discovered the Collegium books. I've got Foundation on my TBB list.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #363 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:30 pm »
I treated myself to the latest collection with other authors, and I'm impatiently awaiting not just the first non-human Herald, but the first that isn't humanoid.
Where are the Kyree and Gryphon heralds?
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #364 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:52 pm »
It might be hard for a kyree to ride a companion.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #365 on: December 08, 2017, 10:01:16 pm »
Try a Gryphon, or Hertsai (sic) or one of the bird people.  There are supposed to be catlike intelligences out there like the kyree are more or less lupine.
How about a Firecat, or someone already well into their Vkandis SunPriest training?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #366 on: December 08, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »
Since a firecat is already companionlike, I wouldn't expect that mix. A sunpriest could be interesting, but might cause difficulties between Vkandis and whichever diety provides the companions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #367 on: December 08, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »
Go back to Talia's introduction to the history of Valdemar; King Valdemar & his wife went out and prayed to all the gods they knew, for help. 

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2017, 01:44:47 am »
That would be fascinating for all the political upheaval in the Council. Perhaps a student of the Sun Priest Alberich councils with.
A hertasai (I looked it up) Herald would be cool, and due to the story of Gervaise the Lizard Wizard that was recounted in one book we know they can be magician.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2018, 05:24:13 pm »
Was listening to the "Cold drake" song from the Shadowstalker album, and I wonder, since they entrance by catching the eyes of the victim creatures, what would happen if the pair that's been a couple of the recent anthologies (or whatsisname, the young Sunpriest from the Magestorms series, and the Firecat that's attached to him) went out after one?
This is a blinded gryphon and the changechild Shinian gal who are sort of mind bonded.  Set the gal somewhere with sight of the drake, tie her in place, link the gryphon to her eyes; could the gryphon fight the drake without being entranced through the shared sight?  Or the Sunpriest/Firecat duo.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2018, 02:17:44 am »
The Firecat was a mage, but not strong enough to save the older priest Ulrich and the younger one in that attack by magical devices, so I doubt it would be powerful enough to overcome a cold drake unless empowered directly by Vkandis. And I think that unlikely unless they were needed to do something later on.
I don't recall the second duo, but fighting with someone else's eyes and viewpoint seems risky to me, unless an ambush can be staged.
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11:11 am »
The Firecat is the one who still had his vision, and young wossname was a channel, and not a sword or spear fighter anyway, so really, that duo wouldn't do at all. 
The other pair are from the anthologies where she let other people play.  And yes, ambush, so you could limit the drake's movement, and perch the eyes somewhere with good view but little danger of being caught in the fight.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2018, 03:31:54 am »
I've only read some of those anthologies, and it's been a while for the ones I did read, so it could be a memory lapse or I just did not read the story.
Side note: After reading the Mage Storms trilogy I wondered if Ms. Lackey would be writing of the marriage of the priest to his young apprentice artificer. More, I had a scenario running through my head of it being turned into a big thing in the same way that Talia's marriage to Dirk was. That is, an excuse to get people in from all over to tell them firsthand about the new situation.
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:36 am »
I think she may have done all the 'big wedding' scenes she wants, between Talia&Dirk, the prince and then Mags/Amalie in the Collegium/Spy series, and the one for Darian(sic) and his healer in the Owl series.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #374 on: January 18, 2018, 01:49:23 am »
That could well be; but once something pops into my head it generally stays there. It might not come when called, but instead pop up at inopportune times. Or every time the initiating event recurs.
Leo Buscaglia