Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 96604 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2012, 09:24:26 am »
True, but this time it was different. He's in scene one, before the story actually starts. In that one scene I could tell he had done something wrong without knowing what had happened.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:45 am »
Well, I didn't feel that way, but that's okay, I have problems with other of her books for more or less similar reasons, so I know she's flawed as well as you do.  Sometimes I think she's got too much on her plate, and her attention to detail suffers for it.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:46 am »
I'll agree to that. She's come out with, like four books in the last year? That's a lot to get through.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2012, 09:39:20 am »
Even co-writing some of them. 
I'm getting to the point where, even if I had an unlimited budget, her books in the series I read wouldn't be on my 'automatically buy' list any more.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #349 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »
I just re-read this thread, and followed the link
http://www.mercedeslackey.com/features_laststraw.html about why she'd stopped writing the Diana Tregarde books.  Not only did it explain why she stopped writing them, but also why they were so dark; I hadn't thought of them as horror, which she explains here was the case.

It may also help explain some of the variation in quality of her work.  Depending on what kind of nutjobs are harassing her, and how hard, she may be too distracted at times to do her best work.

Read the part about the dead two year old.  See if you don't feel like you can give her some slack.

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #350 on: April 20, 2012, 06:57:54 am »
Wow, that's intense.  I've watched fans at some conventions following Patty and Mike around, and some of them really scare me.  Any kind of fame is can raise your visibility, and that can make you a target.  :-\
Find what you love and do it!

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:59 am »
wow, I'm stunned. Thanks for posting this, patti.
I think it's just horrible what people sometimes make out of things. guess that's where we have to draw the line between a normal fan and a raging fanatic.

I'm sorry that things like that happen to people who only want to entertain us and be able to make a living.

GW  WK  WH

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2012, 07:35:53 am »
Yes, it reminds you that the Stephen King novel "Misery" wasn't all that far fetched, doesn't it?  I can't take too much credit here, the link had been posted more than a year ago, I just finally clicked on it and read the whole thing.  Blinked, and reposted it when I got to the end of the thread, with a little teaser to make it more intriguing for the rest of the Hurogs to read. 
I try to stick to "they write fiction that I like; express that and leave them to get on with living their lives and writing more" just like I don't glue myself to actors because of favorite roles, or reject them for either bad jobs, bad editing, or badly written roles.  It's a temporary measure inside their minds, they get out of it, they go on with their own lives.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:47 pm »
Just saw this listing at Amazon:

Dead Reckoning [Kindle Edition]
Mercedes Lackey (Author), Rosemary Edghill (Author)
Girl pretending to be a boy in the old west.  Zombies.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2012, 11:11:16 am »
Just saw this listing at Amazon:

Dead Reckoning [Kindle Edition]
Mercedes Lackey (Author), Rosemary Edghill (Author)
Girl pretending to be a boy in the old west.  Zombies.

Pass. I like their collaborations but I'm ready for the zombie trend in books to end now.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

ppbwashu

• Tinker
« Reply #355 on: June 06, 2012, 05:58:34 am »
I never did get into the zombie thing.  The subgenre is just as undead as it's subjects!  We must attack with flamethrowers. >D

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2012, 05:11:32 am »
Just found!  bOuNcY

Shadow Grail #3: Sacrifices by Mercedes Lackey, Rosemary Edghill
Pub Month: 13-Apr⋅    2013-04-02

The third book in the Shadow Grail series by the New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill. The students of Oakhurst Academy believe they have triumphed over the Shadow Knights. But Spirit, Burke, Muirin, Loch, and Addie know better. Under the guise of a company called Breakthrough Adventure Systems, the Shadow Knights have actually taken over the campus. The new regime is brutal, designed to turn the students into soldiers wielding both weapons and magic. Anyone who protests disappears. Desperate, the group decides that Muirin should go undercover to spy on Breakthrough. But Muirin’s act is a little too good, and Spirit begins to fear that her friend’s loyalties might have truly changed. Surrounded by enemies and friends who suddenly seem like strangers, Spirit has decide who can–and cannot–be trusted.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:05 am »
She's definitely in a "school" phase, isn't she?  Doing the "Collegium Chronicles" in Valdemar too.  Book 4 there has an October 2 this year release date listed.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »
The 4th Book in the Collagium series is out.

Ending feltnot completed
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

ppbwashu

• Tinker
« Reply #359 on: October 16, 2012, 08:10:37 am »
Hmm, forgot to look for it.  Must do so ASAP.

Just finished reading the first three books in the 500 Kingdoms series, and I really liked her twist in the first novel.  8)