Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 113872 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #315 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:41 pm »
Well, it's not one of the "big event" periods, and she's kind of run out of new things to introduce, I suspect. 
In re-reading, I sure see how she writes emotion well, but has real issues with consistency of history & physical description.  She also is amazingly bad about using the same descriptive word twice in two consecutive sentences.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #316 on: December 28, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »
She also is amazingly bad about using the same descriptive word twice in two consecutive sentences.

Sounds like me.  LOL :-whistle
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2011, 02:28:21 pm »
Which should give you hope for your future writing career, I guess.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #318 on: December 28, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »
Which should give you hope for your future writing career, I guess.

I guess it should.  ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #319 on: December 28, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »
Mind you, if I read things you publish with that kind of slop, I will hunt you down and set frogs on you.

I don't mind the doubles so much as the fact that she will write a series or trilogy, presumably one right after the other, so that it's more like one long novel broken into 3, and change her description of the same character in that one series!

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #320 on: December 28, 2011, 02:53:40 pm »
Mind you, if I read things you publish with that kind of slop, I will hunt you down and set frogs on you.

I don't mind the doubles so much as the fact that she will write a series or trilogy, presumably one right after the other, so that it's more like one long novel broken into 3, and change her description of the same character in that one series!

LOL I guess I better behave then.  ;D

That would be a bit irritating. *nods*

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #321 on: December 29, 2011, 01:46:13 pm »
Just saw another Valdemar anthology with other authors on the shelves at the drug store yesterday.  I've actually got it & "Changes" reserved for when they come in here.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2012, 09:20:57 am »
After my recent re-reading & the new anthology & "Changes," a couple of thoughts wandered into my head.
Aren't there any other CITIES in Valdemar besides Haven?  I don't get the impression there are even any really good sized towns... strikes me as daft, as big as it is.  They've encompassed several other smaller kingdoms, principalities, and duchies over their history, so aren't at least some of those former capitol cities still in existence, and shouldn't they be thriving?

In the second of the "Collegium" books, when Mags goes down to the city & works as a potboy,  shouldn't he, as the type of person who is chosen as a Herald, be going back to find the smaller kid with the hunger problem, and getting a Healer to look at him?  I suspect he's got some kind of medical condition that makes him crave food the way he does.  He may be a 'throwaway' character, but it points up how selfish Mags is at base, unlike most Heralds, and how sloppy about her own criteria Ms. Lackey is.  I'm annoyed.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #323 on: February 19, 2012, 09:12:01 am »
At the time potboy beating in the Book "Intrigues". Mags had been sprialing depression, from the gossip of beening a Foriegner, semi-accused by the foreseers of killing/harming the king, his two best friends turning on him, and his Companion was heavy Sudated because of two borken fore Legs. When the Legs were broken they running the obstacle course at night when there was a mass mindgift attack, which everyone felt. Thus because of all pressure upon he ranaway. Also during his potboy time he was trying to get Dallen to repudiate him. On top of all that he didn't know who house he was in.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:39 am »
Gryphon, I read the book, I know the plot points, but first, "everybody" did not feel the attack that broke Dallen's forelegs, or Bear wouldn't have been pounding on Mags' room door, threatening to beat him to broken bones.  It was only later that there was another of those rages by The Temper that made everyone realize that Mags had not been solely responsible for what happened to Dallen, thank you very much.  And yes, he ran away so depressed he didn't know where he was. 
That doesn't mean he couldn't retrace his steps later to find the house.  Given his whole "training to be a spy" thing with the King's Own, he should have been able to narrow it down to start, then go ask questions in the neighborhood, among the servants, to find the house in question.  He hasn't done so.
I'll admit/agree that he's got a lot of other stuff on his plate, and he does sometimes procrastinate a bit.  Just as Bear complained about Mags not going to the K.O. about the way Bear's family was trying to drag him out of Haven & use him as bloodstock.  However, not one mention of this took place in the latest book.  A whole book with not a thought of the kid.

It looks to me as though Mags is probably responsible for the heraldic trainees being put to work in housekeeping, kitchens, and so forth, so why can't this unnamed kid be brought in as part of that?

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2012, 10:16:05 am »
after stabbed saving the King, He hasn't had the time to go back and fix it.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:11 am »
... but he has time for Kirball and courting.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2012, 10:29:05 am »
He was still in a hospital bed, when Nikloas made though comments.
life is terminal

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2012, 10:34:21 am »
What Nikolas said is irrelevant to my point; mags has had all the time since he got back to the Collegium, and never said a word to anybody.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »
his mind and body is tending to healing. PLus the third book is out and maybe he'll fix it there.
life is terminal