Author Topic: Mercedes Lackey  (Read 116946 times)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »
I had never heard that about the Tregarde books; I did wonder why she had stopped so abruptly with that character. I do like the SERRAted Edge books and the Bedlam's Bard books and their relative darkness is one of the things that I like. I find them a good blend of reality, high fantasy, humor, romance and action. She blends all those together without it feelign forced.

Her more traditional fantasy, I don't find to be nearly as interesting. I tried her Elizabethan series and just couldn't maintain an interest.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:51 pm »
I do like the SERRAted Edge books and the Bedlam's Bard books and their relative darkness is one of the things that I like.

It just comes down to personal taste.  I don't necessarily dislike "dark" but I read for enjoyment and there are certain things that I just don't enjoy reading about.  I suppose I'm just sort of squemish in that respect.   :-[
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2008, 09:33:50 pm »
Ditto. 

There has to be some darkness, or there's no tension for the story.

But it doesn't have to be lingered on and relished.  The pretend kestrachern from the White Gryphon, the assorted baddies from Diane Tregarde, some of the villans from the elves/bards stuff.  She lavishes so much time on them.
Consider in contrast Tim in Iron Kissed.

Why I'm here, not on whatever forum she may have.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2008, 06:54:29 am »
Well, Tim I think could have been developed a bit more for my tastes.

I like that the baddies in the elf books aren't just throw away characters. They have some depth and even occasionally, a redeeming quality or two. Just like real people. I find that helps ground the story for me.

I do like the SERRAted Edge books and the Bedlam's Bard books and their relative darkness is one of the things that I like.

It just comes down to personal taste.  I don't necessarily dislike "dark" but I read for enjoyment and there are certain things that I just don't enjoy reading about.  I suppose I'm just sort of squemish in that respect.   :-[

I hear ya. There are certain things that are too dark for me and I stay away from. I have a hard time, for instance, with all of the torture scenes Patty includes. Oh boy do I squirm. If they were a larger component of her stories, I wouldn't read her books.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2008, 09:09:23 am »
I may be developing selective memory, but I think hers are far less specific and lengthy than Ms. Lackey writes.  I get the impression that ML researches her material pretty thoroughly, and can't bear not to use her research.  Just the stuff about how he [the fake kestrachern] twisted those women he was supposed to be making stronger & healthier, that could have been cut by at least a quarter, maybe more, for my taste. 

Yes, those villans have some depth, I suppose, although it's a depth of nasty craziness, with no history to the person. (Who was he before he joined the Mage of Silence's army?  What was his childhood like?  His formative years? --Does he have equally creepy siblings out there?-- Why is he not in Maur's army, given his preferences?)

But others are cut outs.  What was the motivation of the villan in 'The Black Swan'?  Why did he choose this way of 'avenging' himself?  Did no-one ever point out to him the harm he was doing to a whole pool of other people for each young woman he took?

And why didn't his daughter find herself some allies & work against him?  Fileal loyalty?  Then why did she defeat him in the end?  Why did it take her until there were a dozen women being enchanted before she acted?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2008, 02:07:54 pm »
I may be developing selective memory, but I think hers are far less specific and lengthy than Ms. Lackey writes.  I get the impression that ML researches her material pretty thoroughly, and can't bear not to use her research.  Just the stuff about how he [the fake kestrachern] twisted those women he was supposed to be making stronger & healthier, that could have been cut by at least a quarter, maybe more, for my taste. 

Yes, those villans have some depth, I suppose, although it's a depth of nasty craziness, with no history to the person. (Who was he before he joined the Mage of Silence's army?  What was his childhood like?  His formative years? --Does he have equally creepy siblings out there?-- Why is he not in Maur's army, given his preferences?)

But others are cut outs.  What was the motivation of the villan in 'The Black Swan'?  Why did he choose this way of 'avenging' himself?  Did no-one ever point out to him the harm he was doing to a whole pool of other people for each young woman he took?

And why didn't his daughter find herself some allies & work against him?  Fileal loyalty?  Then why did she defeat him in the end?  Why did it take her until there were a dozen women being enchanted before she acted?

Unfortunately I have not read the books that you are referring to, that's why I used the examples I did.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2008, 05:12:45 pm »
Well, I'd recommend not spending money to do so.  Whether you want to check 'em out of library, your choice.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2008, 05:34:01 pm »
Lackey wrote out here why she stopped writing them, and it looks like for several reasons, one of which is that they were ahead of their time, and as a result weren't selling.  http://www.mercedeslackey.com/features_laststraw.html  Urban Fantasy just wasn't popular when they were published, but now it is.  Looks like there were some hard-core crazies and religious fanatics that were attacking her too. 

Pity that she's mixing it up with the racecar elves, I really disliked those books.  Not because they were dark, but because all of the ones I read had insufferably stupid (intelligence-wise) characters or character making bonehead moves.  Just couldn't relate to them. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2008, 05:39:53 pm »
Just read snow queen. And I really liked it! I think she did a good job on this one.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2008, 05:44:15 pm »
Wow grey that was quite the blog entry she wrote. Sadly, I can believe that people are that stupid and clueless.

I picked up Snow Queen at the library and will likely start it after I finish From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris.

emmad

• Tinker
    • JDK Lodge
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2008, 06:00:46 pm »
I actually have a tattoo of the black gryphon on my shoulder blade lol.  Read these books about um 15? years ago and had was looking for a design for a tattoo at the time. 
Loved the series and just recently thinking about re reading them.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
I loved how her husband illustrated the gryphons, he manages to convey their personality beautifully. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
I love all the illistrations her husband adds, it adds another demintion to the writing.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2008, 06:19:39 pm »
Just read her newest valdimar books, I'm glad she's writing them again. ^_^ I really enjoyed it, takes place a few generations after The Last Herald Mage Tilogy.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2008, 06:39:38 pm »
there's a new oneĀ  :o

*runs off to the B&N webpage*

drat, forgot it'd be out in hardcover only. ohhh, well.
i ordered it from my library and will wait to add it to my collection until its in paper back (so it matches the rest of the books :) )
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:43:28 pm by rox_squirrel »