Author Topic: Andre Norton  (Read 18012 times)

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
  • I'd rather be a dragonback
Andre Norton
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:45:14 am »
She has written all inds of great adventure Science Fiction involving people and animals(including coyotes).  These types of books have always been my favorites.  These bonds between people and other creatures just as intelligent.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:39:43 pm by Mike Briggs »
I'd rather be a dragonback - Anne McCaffery

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Andre Norton
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:22:42 pm »
weyrfolk, can you recommend any of your favorites? It's been years since I've read any Norton. I did pick up "Three Hands for Scorpio" just a few months ago but I haven't read it yet.
Hurog Means Dragon.

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:34:50 pm »
It has been awhile since I have read some of her books, but she is good and alot of them deal with people and animals that are linked either telepathically or through mutual respect.  The Beast Master series, Star Man's Son, Time Traders series, Foreruner series, Crosstime, Witchworld series.  She wrote for over 50 years and passed away in 2005 at the age of 93.  She wrote under the name of Andre because when she started, women weren't known in the Sci-Fi field.  They are not like the newer books, but they are good on their own. 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:50:35 pm »
I'll head over to the library and pick up a couple. Always looking for a good book and I have enjoyed her works before, but it's been so long since I've picked up one it's hard to remember what they're like.
Hurog Means Dragon.

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:46:55 pm »
Let me know which ones you liked..I really enjoyed the Beast Master series and the Time Traders nd Witchworld.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:37:03 pm »
A stand-alone book of hers I have is Mirror of Destiny, its a quick easy read, which some of her stuff isn't.  I rather enjoyed it, and I probably spent more time daydreaming about different things in it than actually reading.  Its a good book for starting daydreams. ;)

Oh, totally forgot about one I really liked, "The Key of the Keplian", which is in the witch world series somewhere.  I really really liked this one...Sentient horses! :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:42:43 pm by Grey Drakkon »
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 12:48:50 pm »
I really liked that one too, as well as the Beast Masters and The Mark of the Cat. The last one was the one that started me on her.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 07:16:46 pm »
Mildly odd adendum on the Keplian book (books?  I keep thinking there's a 2nd.):  There's a Comanche character in the book, & some of the things referred to on the culture is identical with what's in a set of schlocky westerns that I'm absurdly addicted to.  I wonder if the co-author who probably put it in there is too?

I did always like the Gryphon books that one seems to link to as well, which in turn linked to 'Year of the Unicorn.'

I'll bet you guys already knew too, that Andre wrote at least 1 title for every letter of the alphabet, too.  ;)
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Jazzlet

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 02:34:27 pm »
Lyn McConchie co-wrote 'Key of the Keplian', and several others set at least partially in Karsten after the Horning. She may have read the series you refer to Patti L, but she lives in New Zealand (or is it Australia? certainly downunder)

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 07:48:31 pm »
No, I didn't know that she had done that with the alphabet.  I know that she studied archeology and that is why it is used in so many of her books. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:27:53 pm »
No, I didn't know that she had done that with the alphabet.  I know that she studied archeology and that is why it is used in so many of her books. 
I didn't know about the archeology!  So we each learned something today, yay ;D

One of the guys I used to learn fencing from once said that all our generation was educated for was 'trivial persuit'.  Sometimes I agree with him, my head's full of trivia instead of college classes.

I really like the CatFantastic collections she edited, too.

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 11:28:57 am »
I'm re-reading her Beast Master series because I just bought Beast Masters Ark and Beast Masters Quest.  My brain if full of trivial stuff too.  ;D My mom is always saying how smart I am(you know that thing that moms say to their children ;)) and I tell her that the information I know is of no use accept in conversations ;)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 07:32:48 pm »
Yeah, many of them mean well, but it can backfire.  I can't take compliments to this day, I just don't believe them 90+% of the time.

Oh, & speaking of animal oriented Andre Norton, I still have a copy, over 30 years old, of Catseye.  That's a great animal-human team story, too.

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:50 am »
I think????  I read that one years ago, so obviously this means I'll read it again when I find it ;)  Star Man's son was also good.  Man and cat team as well :D

Jazzlet

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 10:26:54 am »
Yeah, many of them mean well, but it can backfire.  I can't take compliments to this day, I just don't believe them 90+% of the time.

Oh, & speaking of animal oriented Andre Norton, I still have a copy, over 30 years old, of Catseye.  That's a great animal-human team story, too.

Me too, it was one of the books that really got me into Sci-Fi :)