Author Topic: Combined musings on ebooks and publishing  (Read 74759 times)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
Re: eBook Readers
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:46 am »
Cole,
Do you have any idea of the timeframe for Kindle 2.0 release?  I much prefer real books but there are times when I might have weight/size limits on luggage and it could come in handy.
Thanks,
e_booklover

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 10:19:15 am »
no i dont know but i think it is still in the middle of design and if you take technology like video game systems next gen stuff dont come out for at least 5 years and ipod stuff didnt upgrade for almost 3 years so itll be awhile since both the kindle and the sony are fairly new products

There is no place like /~

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 11:04:20 am »

munkee

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 05:23:41 am »
Now suddenly, I'm not so sure I want one.
I read a review where the hubby got his wife one and she loved the technology of it, but missed the paper feel, the ink smell and was under constant stress of the read as she couldn't tell exactly how much book she had left. I realized, I do that quite a bit. Especially when I'm reading at night and my hubby's like, you coming to bed soon? So 'll flip to where the chapter ends, tell him how many pages I have left (read a chapter beyond what I quoted) and then head to bed. I'm not sure you can do that with an electronic device.
I think I would miss the thickness of the book, realizing I'm too darn close to the end of the book and knowing my storyline isn't resolved hense a series which both excites me and horrifies me as I have to WAIT for the next book to resolve open plot lines. I don't think the published books will ever die off. I'm not sure the kindle or the reader will be that popular...People will buy them and then realize there's something serioulsy lacking about them as they read. I dunno, I could be wrong, but now I've en empty feeling where a want once was that was crushed by the realization that my toy wasn't exactly what I thought it would be....
Ah well, I'll survive.

DogPatch

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:47 am »
Especially when I'm reading at night and my hubby's like, you coming to bed soon? So 'll flip to where the chapter ends, tell him how many pages I have left (read a chapter beyond what I quoted) and then head to bed.

I'm laughing too hard to type... ;D  Thought I was the only one to do that to poor hubby. 

This made my day, Munkee.  Thanks! :-*

Dianne

• Tool Wrangler
  • I'm in your room and I'm reading All your books!
    • Books & Chat
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:50 am »
I'm going to throw in my 2cents...I've had an e-reader (which only reads books) and quickly outgrew it.

This time I bought a Dell Axim.

I love it.  It supports every kind of format, you can have the screen scroll for one handed reading, enlarge the font, have access to the 'net , charge it in the car, at home or anywhere in between.  Use it for movie or audio down-loads too.  You get to choose what you want it to do when you buy it.  Extra batteries better case (for clumsy people like me)  add a card/s to it for bigger files you may not want to keep in the body of the beast (like War and Peace LOL)

You can book mark pages and read it without a light on.
 You can usually use it for 2 or 4 hours before it need recharging and if that isn't convenient you can get it with a larger battery or even extra rechargable batteries.
It will never replace written pages and a brick and mortar book store.  But when I'm traveling or out of the house I keep it with me and always have an entire library at my fingertips.  And I mean at least 300 books or more at a time.  I find it awkward to keep more than one or two choices in my purse on any given day, and i would hate to scare you with the number of books I traveled with until I bought this.  Plus if you like more...errrr...erotic books and are a tad embarrassed by the covers or even where you have to go for them, well this is a solution LOL!
No you can't download books without being near a 'puter, but there aren't many places you can go without at least so Internet access!

OK I used up my 2 cents sorry for the rave!

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 04:45:31 pm »
II find it awkward to keep more than one or two choices in my purse on any given day, and i would hate to scare you with the number of books I traveled with until I bought this.  Plus if you like more...errrr...erotic books and are a tad embarrassed by the covers or even where you have to go for them, well this is a solution LOL!

I snipped your quote.  Lol certainly makes sense to me.  I could appreciate not having to worry about ensuring your book is face down and upside down from any casual observers.  :)

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 01:09:37 am »
my aunt has a samsung because she likes to read erotic books but commutes to work on a public train so now nobody has to know what she is reading when there is no "cover"

There is no place like /~

DogPatch

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 03:20:25 am »
My sister used to make covers with titles like "Lost Books of the Bible" and "Have you Been Saved?" that would fit over her, uh, more 'pleasurable' reading. 8) 

I want to buy a reader, but the price is way out of the budget.  Plus, all the choices.  I think I will wait until the dust settles, and one format/manufacturer takes the lead.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:22:33 am by DogPatch »

Eryl

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 11:11:40 am »
Wel, I bought the first Sony eReader last year, and bought the new one when it came out (they are on version 2 now).  I gave the old one to my friend, and we both use them alot.  They are very useful for the subway ride to and from work, and traveling (both on the airplane, and staying some other place without having to bring 3 or 6 or 12 books with -- heavy). 

I also buy alot of ebooks from the various epublishers, and the computer screen was destroying my eyes.  So mostly what I keep on the ereader are ebooks and new releases that are either hardcover or I got so impatient I couldn't wait till tomorrow to go to the book store to get it.  I've got several duplicates, in print and ebook form.  The ereader is so convenient, but when I'm home, I do like to read print books.

As for missing the feel (and smell) of books, well, ereaders are not designed to REPLACE books, but to be an additional means of reading.  Really, they're only aimed at people who buy many books (I usually buy 4-8 books a week) and read all the time, and also people who read alot of efiction (I also buy several ebooks a week).  I'm very happy with it, and my library of print books.  I'll be keeping and reading both of them.  I also get to show it off alot on the metro, and I think I've sold a couple that way.  The screen is WONDERFUL.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Thanks for clearing up some fuzzy things I was thinking :)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 03:37:59 pm »
As for missing the feel (and smell) of books, well, ereaders are not designed to REPLACE books, but to be an additional means of reading.  Really, they're only aimed at people who buy many books (I usually buy 4-8 books a week) and read all the time, and also people who read alot of efiction (I also buy several ebooks a week).  I'm very happy with it, and my library of print books.  I'll be keeping and reading both of them.  I also get to show it off alot on the metro, and I think I've sold a couple that way.  The screen is WONDERFUL.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who travels with more than 10 books. :)

I picked up the sony e-reader and I LOVE it! I got it a couple of days ago and I want to go on trips just to take the reader with me.

Like most of the readers here I don't think it will ever replace my love of the book and I won't stop buying books because I have the reader but I will buy more ebooks and have already. I'm sure the honeymoon period will wear off in a year or so...but right now I'm totally infatuated with it.  :P
Hurog Means Dragon.

Timesdragonfly

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 03:23:25 pm »
I have a Kindle and I LOVE it. It's super easy to read, in fact I read faster with it. It's portable and easy to use.
It Does have some draw backs though, I'm finding that some books just aren't offered on the Kindle yet. There will be one or two of the series availible, but not all of them. It's frustrating. IDK, I'd wait a while if I wasn't such a tech addict. I'm guessing the next versions will be better, and more books will be availiable soon!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Reinventig the Book:The Future of reading
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:33 pm »
I have a Sony ebook reader. Love it. Probably my favorite tech purchase in the last year.

One glich though that annoys me. I think it's my fault anyway but still annoying. I have a 4G card in it and every once in a while the reader will not so much freeze but slow down considerably and blank and I'll lose all the collections that I've created.

The books will still be there but I'll have to go into the Sony library and re-create my collections and put the books back in it. I need to do some research to see if anyone else is having that problem.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 08:37:33 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Reinventig the Book:The Future of reading
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008, 08:26:38 am »
How much editing can for a DRM, I mean most is done on electronic format when turn over to the Publisher from what read on other blogs (this may not total accurat.) Then when it sent to the printer they computer for the "Plates" now. Since DRM is still in infantcy you as authors may want to jump on the econmics before 90% becomes custmary.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General