Author Topic: Anne McCaffrey  (Read 44868 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Anne McCaffery
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:24 pm »
I got the feeling she was in a situation where she'd said all she had to say about Damia & co in that generation, their adventures were essentially over.  But either she'd signed a contract, or somebody waved some irresistible amount of money in front of her, & she scraped up something to follow it with by going on to the next generation & a 'BEM' menace.  Might have been because of medical bills or taxes or something.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2008, 03:50:46 pm »

Although I also really loved her "Talent" books, starting with To Ride Pegasus. I liked her Tower and Hive series, too (which follow from the Talent books), but I like the early Talent ones better. I stopped reading the Tower & Hive books about three books in - they became a bit too ... abstract? Hard to describe. I didn't feel for the characters much.

I love To Ride Pegasus and enjoy the sequels, I loved the original Tower Story but the Tower and Hive series just left me cold. I just didn't care about any of the characters.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:39 am »

Although I also really loved her "Talent" books, starting with To Ride Pegasus. I liked her Tower and Hive series, too (which follow from the Talent books), but I like the early Talent ones better. I stopped reading the Tower & Hive books about three books in - they became a bit too ... abstract? Hard to describe. I didn't feel for the characters much.

I love To Ride Pegasus and enjoy the sequels, I loved the original Tower Story but the Tower and Hive series just left me cold. I just didn't care about any of the characters.

Exactly - there's so much more characterization in the earlier books. IMO the characterization fell behind at least partly because she was trying hard to show that the society/characters had "advanced" and weren't like regular humans anymore. While the goal is admirable, people need to empathize with characters to care for them. Once they're so far out from what we can recognize, we stop caring about them.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Re: Anne McCaffrey
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2008, 06:09:37 pm »
okay, I've looked through most all of the posts, but I haven't been able to find anything on this one...I'm sorry if I missed it! Oo

The Death of Sleep Has anyone read it? I liked it, but I thought it ended too quickly. Good concept (yes, I realized it has been done before as a plot, but I liked the character-driven aspect of it) but if-y execution.

It was a collaboration with Jody Lynn Nye if you are wondering and haven't seen it before.

the amazon link
if anyone is wondering about it.

EDIT: tidied up link- charmed
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:19:37 pm by charmed »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2008, 09:52:22 pm »
I read the Sassinik & co books.  They're fun in several ways, but it was another case where they should have had at the very least some 3x5 cards with certain 'world building bricks' listed on them.  There were outright contradictions of how certain races biologies worked from one book to another.

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:47 am »
Watch out if you read both the planet pirate and dinosaur planet books, there's a big cross over and you'll get that "i've read this before" feeling.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2008, 09:31:53 am »
I just recently re-read the first two books of the original Dragonriders series (Dragonflight and Dragonquest) and still enjoyed them quite a bit.  I first read them years ago when I used to belong to the SFBC.  I seem to remember not enjoying the later novels in the series and eventually dropping them, possibly becuase they were more spin offs devoted to minor or even toally new characters rather than sequels with the main characters from the original two books.  :-\

I have also read some of her Ship Who... books and Sassinak and found them good, but not great, reads.  I've never read any of the Crystal Singer or Talents books
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2008, 07:29:27 pm »
Has anyone read the Petaybee series? The first trilogy( Powers That Be) and then the 2nd trilogy? (Twins of Petaybee) I loved Powers that Be. While I very much enjoyed the first book in the Twins of Petaybee series, the quality got a little worse in the 2nd book in that trilogy, with to me, the last book in the trilogy being not that good at all. I read it once and I never read it again. I can't say why, but something completely turned me off of it.

I don't know, anyone else read this to share their opinion?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2008, 07:38:16 pm »
I've read and overall enjoyed most of her books earlier books, including that series, but I would agree with you that I didn't like the more recent books nearly as much.  I think I completely lost interest in the newer books after the first Acorna book.  She's the author that introduced me to the sci fi/fantasy written world as a child, and after she took the time to write to me when I was a teenager I could never actually dislike her.  :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2008, 07:42:50 pm »
I at least started to read the first one, I know that.  But I don't think I finished it.  
To be honest, I suspect she may have outlined & started it, but that her son took them pretty much over, whether he's credited for them or not.  He doesn't write up to her standard, when she felt well.
She's an elderly lady now, who's had health problems for years, I've heard for a decade that she might be dying of cancer, so that's my best guess; it's mostly Todd now, and that's why they're not grabbing us.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2008, 07:54:43 pm »
That makes a lot sense. I hope she gets better, or at least can enjoy her last few years.  :-[

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2008, 07:57:08 pm »
It does make sense.  I don't think I noticed specifically when her son started being more involved - it would be interesting to figure that out in her book time line.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »
I agree, I loved the first trilogy, and I'll probably finish the second, but it doesn't grab me as well.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
I keep getting the feeling that I'm the only person on the planet who read Restoree. I know I'm not, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times here at Hurog, but out in the cold cruel world, it's seldom mentioned. It's her first book, SF, pretty good, not great. I liked it. But I guess it flew like a lead balloon, cause no one ever seems to mention it. I can't count the number of times I've mentioned it and got a blank look. It's funny, I liked a lot of her harder Sf, the more techy ones, like Brains/Brawn books. And Doona. I like the Dragons too, I snatched them up as fast as they came out until the last few Todd books, which I put off till they were affordable. I'm glad he's carrying on, but I wanted more dragons in space. That's the trouble, writers don't listen to me.  LOL Maybe that will catch on? Robert Jordan has a successor, too. We could get lucky here ...  LOL LOL LOL

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »
"Blue bowl!  Blue Bowl!"

I don't think Todd gets "human" adequately.