Author Topic: Anne Bishop  (Read 189781 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Anne Bishop
« on: November 13, 2007, 11:11:52 am »
The Black Jewels trilogy is one of my favorite fantasy series of all time and I was squeeing when I head that Anne has written another book about this world.
She has posted the excerpt to Tangled Webs on her site
below is the link
http://www.annebishop.com/s.excerpt.tangled.webs.html

Its great to read about new Daemon, Jannelle and the rest of the gang.
Roll  on March ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
Re: Anne Bishop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:04:14 pm »
Yeah, I fell in love with the trilogy too!!! Lost a lot of hours of sleep to finish it in the shorter time possible... ::) And I can't wait for Tangled Webs too: meantime, I treated myself to Dreams Made Flesh, the short stories collection, with an epilogue to the trilogy ;)
March is sooooo far away though.... T_T
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:41:21 pm »
i've heard of anne bishop, but i've never read any of her books

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:55:34 pm »
i've heard of anne bishop, but i've never read any of her books
You should read her Black Jewel Trilogy.  They are some of the best books I have ever read.  Definitely up there on my favorite list. 

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 03:02:19 pm »
They are good, but horribly gruesome as well.  If you're squeamish you may want to back off onto one of her other series.  I, on the other hand, wound up reading all night when I got the first book of the Black Jewels and had to go to work on no sleep. >_< 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:18:11 pm »
ohh sounds cool i shall see if i can get it

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:18 pm »
I second that  ;D I bought the omnibus and it took me about a week to get through over a 1000 pages- and the short story collection. Although I agree they are DARK but very very good.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »
yeah thats what i've heard

courtesy of Has

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:50:06 pm »
I know there are some young readers on this site, so maybe a warning is in order.  Grey Drakkon is right.  There are some gruesome things and I consider it an adult series. 

If I remember right, I read all three books in three days and my house was a disaster when I finished.  My kids had gone a little crazy without me and it took me another three days to clean up all their messes (the carpet in their room will ever be the same).  I distinctly remember vowing to never do that again after the cleanup. 

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:53:38 pm »
ha if you all read it at one time then they must be good, i need to read them

the gruesome factor won't be too bad because it is a book, and just look at some of the most popular movies out now - saw, hostile, hills have eyes
all very gruesome

courtesy of Has

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 04:01:14 pm »
ha if you all read it at one time then they must be good, i need to read them

the gruesome factor won't be too bad because it is a book, and just look at some of the most popular movies out now - saw, hostile, hills have eyes
all very gruesome

I don't mind gruesome movies but only if there is a storyline behind but I saw Hostile - I loathe that film with a passion- it was more like a snuff movie and although I am pretty easygoing with gory films. That film really made me feel sick to my stomach and to me it was misogynistic and basically glorified violence and it left me with a nasty taste in my mouth. I didn't :P bother with the sequel

On Anne's site she has a disclaimer on books which may not be suitable for young readers. I think this excerpt is aimed at readers about 17 or older. However that didn't stop me reading ahem ;) unsuitable books when I was younger but I agree I wouldn't like kids reading these books. It really deals with dark issues and has violent scenes that had me wincing

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 04:01:58 pm »
Well, it isn't slasher gruesome, but rather sexually disturbing if that makes sense.  This book is a good example of why I don't want Hillary Clinton to be president, even though I would love a female president.  Power corrupts. ;)

I would be uncomfortable having teenage girls read it.  Just my opinion though.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »
how old would you say you should be to read these then?

courtesy of Has

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 04:12:34 pm »
At Anne's site the suggested reading age is 17 or above - although that is with the excerpt of Tangled Webs.
But if you saw Hostel then I think this is Black Jewels is ok I think that film was more violent than this series however there is some events and scenes that has sexual abuse which may upset some readers.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 04:16:54 pm »
i didn't see hostile but i have seen 1-3 of saw and hills have eyes, i think i could handle it but it sounds gruesome

courtesy of Has