Author Topic: The Moon and Eclipses  (Read 4594 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
The Moon and Eclipses
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:08:51 pm »
Hi Patty,

You mentioned in the November chat about the magic of werewolves:

Their magic is more inherent than acted upon like, say, a witch's magic

There's also this bit from Moon Called regarding Sam:

Moonlight streamed in...He closed his eyes and basked in it, and I could tell it was calling to him, even though the moon was not full.

It makes me wonder how much influence the moon has on the magic of the werewolves. I know it's an important aspect of the what they are...but is it linked more from a spiritual nature or is from a physical one? It's been mentioned that the weres can become moonstruck and can't stop the change when the moon comes; would it be that she sings to them on a spiritual level and the only response or best response is the physical change?

It does lead me to ask about eclipses both solar and lunar. I can't help but wonder if the eclipses of either kind are a huge ceremonial occasion or act like a enhancer, a werewolf battery for lack of a better description. ;)

I hope this isn't too muddled. I'm re-reading it and it's kind of clear.  :P

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:08:48 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: The Moon and Eclipses
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:03:40 am »
Oh that's cool.  I'll have to think about what a lunar eclipse would mean to a wolf.  I don't think a solar eclipse would mean much to a werewolf -- and, as short as most of them are, probably not much to a vampire physically at least.  Hmm.  What a cool idea.

The moon primarily affects werewolves on a magical level.  It also affects them physically (obviously), but I don't see it being gravitationally inspired (as say the tides are).  Maybe the moon has effects that science doesn't know about -- because the only ones affected are certain paranormal people who aren't talking.  I'm pretty sure that there are some of my magic using humans whose magic is also influenced by the moon.  Certainly the moon has spiritual influences, too.  But at this point I'm not sure what exactly those are.