Author Topic: Book Recommendations?  (Read 40983 times)

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Book Recommendations?
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2019, 06:35:21 am »
I got Wild Country on my Nook last night, and am about a quarter of the way in. It's excellent. Going to pick up the new Seanan McGuire in PB sometime this week.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2019, 06:49:25 am »
I made sure I could access my copy yesterday before I left the office, but haven't read more than about 1 sentence so far.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2019, 12:00:20 pm »
Partway through "Wild Country" and I'm liking it very much; the multiple viewpoints so you get why various people are doing things, for instance.  Another thing I like is Kane and the girl who I suspect has Downs Syndrome.  It took me a while to get the joke that you've got Sheriff Virgil & Deputy Kane, evoking the song: "Virgil Kane is my name..."

Just saw this, and I'm intrigued:  http://uncagedbooks.com/uncaged-review-cryptofauna-by-patrick-canning/

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2019, 12:14:59 pm »
That does sound interesting!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2019, 08:05:50 am »
I swung by a secondhand bookstore a couple of days ago, and scored a bunch of 20th century SF by female writers, some of which were mentioned in previous posts. The fist one I read, The Sardonyx Net, turned out to be a reread; I had read it when it came out in 1981. Here are the opening lines from the second one, The Earth Is All That Lasts by Catherine Wells (1991):

"And in the final days, the Earth herself grew weary of Man's greed and stupidity and so decided to shake off this noisome infestation. With earthquakes, tidal waves, storms, and volcanic eruptions she assaulted his cities. Still he remained in great numbers. Then she drew her mightiest weapon - famine...

Food was imported, of course, from the new colonial worlds, but it was never enough and always too expensive.The workers left first, to help harvest the new planets. Wars broke out - the rich fled to safety. Governments found it impractical to stay and moved their capitals to the distant stars. Finally the dry, dead, hostile Earth was not worth fighting over. The military evacuated what was left of the population; then they themselves broke camp, cursed, spit, and withdrew. The rape had ended."

We have twelve years, according to scientists.  ???

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2019, 04:56:38 pm »
Today I started Sheila Finch's Infinity's Web (1985). I wanted to like this book much more than I did. First half was interesting - about the physics of alternate realities - and it follows four versions of one character from alternate threads of history. It degenerated into impenetrable mysticism, however, so I skimmed the rest. Now I have the sequel to the Catherine Wells book on my Nook. It's very good so far.

I have had plenty of time to read today because it's been pouring most of the day. The entire place is soaked where it's not rushing. Everything is basically a sheet of water with blades of grass sticking up in places. My friends are all texting each other to commiserate.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:58:57 pm by pondhawk »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2019, 03:55:30 pm »
The first time I tried that link it only showed me the first two. Went back later and it showed me 7 1/2. Not sure what's going on with that site.

I am currently reading Once A Hero by Elizabeth Moon. It is excellent space opera.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2019, 06:23:35 pm »
Is that in the Familias series?

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2019, 05:05:13 am »
Yes. I think it may be the first. It's from 1997.

Further research shows that Hunting Party was the first, 1994 I think. This is the first of a spinoff series or thread.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:50:55 am by pondhawk »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2019, 06:57:40 am »
Yes, it's the one that starts following Esmay and Barrin. I've read the whole series now, some from the secondhand stores and some on my Nook. There's an omnibus called Herris Serrano available for Nook that covers the first three. Unfortunately the cover doesn't remotely match the book's physical description of Herris. But whatever!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog