Author Topic: Book Recommendations?  (Read 72240 times)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Re: Book Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 07:45:26 am »
Dancing with Werewolves, by Carole Nelson Douglas was really good.
I had some misgivings about it, and wasn't sure I really wanted to read it, but I really enjoyed it.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 08:22:26 am »
Thank you, Has.  If I can remember, and get a chance, I'll double check at the bookstore on Thursday, around the edge of Our Hostess' signing for Iron Kissed.  I am so psyched!
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

jenglows

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 12:43:07 am »
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley - is a MUST read - IMO  ;)

It's a fabulous version of the Arthurian legends from the perspective of the female characters

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 11:23:01 am »
I love The Mists of Avalon, The Forest House and Lady of Avalon.  It was a little strange to read them in reverse-chronological order, but excellent all the same. 

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 05:15:51 am »

It's a fabulous version of the Arthurian legends from the perspective of the female characters

I agree 10000% i bet i have read that book at least 20 times.  probally my fav of all time.  didn;t care much for the rest of the series though.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 05:40:36 am »

I agree 10000% i bet i have read that book at least 20 times.  probally my fav of all time.  didn;t care much for the rest of the series though.

I agree Beverly, the rest of the series didn't do anythign for me but The Mists of Avalon is excellent.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 06:12:42 am »
I need more books,

here are all the series im involved in not in any particular order:

the rachel morgan series
the mercy series
anita blake
merry genty
fever series
lilith saintcrow Dante valentine
jenna black morgan kingsly exorcist series
circle of 7

what ive got wishlisted

the secret life of a demon hunting soccer mom by julie kenner
world of the lupi by eileen wilks
sign of the zodiac vicki petterson

which is the best to go with first..or can u recommend a better series than the ones i have found?

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 03:43:41 am »
I wasn't all that excited with Eileen Wilks (I tried to read Mortal Danger), gave me the feeling that she comes from the fantasy corner.

Did you read Lori Handeland?
I like her books, they are fun to read. She has a nice pulp oriented style, less violence and sex than in the Anita Blake books (and so far only werewolves) though.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
i recomend Twilight by Stephenie Meyer its really good and bring up interesting vampire ideas

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 12:37:32 pm »
I been reading confessions of a demon hunting soccer mom trilogy by julie kenner, starts with carpe demon, then california demon, and finally demons are forever.  Its actually pretty good, anyone who has kids and a family will appreciate the effort the woman goes to, to make sure her area stays demon free.  I like the series pretty well.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 01:40:09 pm »
Well the last 2 books I read Jennifer Rardin's Once Bitten Twice Shy and Ann Aguirre's Grimspace have been fantastic.
Once Bitten Twice Shy - is about a CIA operatice Jaz Park's is partnered up with a vampire and is the start of a series. Its actioned packed and with strong characterisation - Patty blurbed it perfectly on the cover- James Bond meets Dracula :)
Grimspace- is a sci- fi romance and if you like Linnea Sinclear/Firefly/Farscape then I would def recommend it- I would also recommend it to people who don't necessarily like sci fi - there isn't much techno babble and there is a def focus on the relationship between the two central characters who are both flawed but complicated. Its also action packed and I cant wait for the sequels.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

jenglows

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 03:58:31 pm »
I been reading confessions of a demon hunting soccer mom trilogy by julie kenner, starts with carpe demon, then california demon, and finally demons are forever.  Its actually pretty good, anyone who has kids and a family will appreciate the effort the woman goes to, to make sure her area stays demon free.  I like the series pretty well.
I read the first one Carpe Demon and thought it was very cute.  I like the Moms aren't brain-dead - life still goes on theme :)  Sometimes i just get sick of only reading about single girls that actually have free time. i know the whole "fantasy" thing is part escape from normality, but it's nice to occasionally read a story where the main character is trying to do the same things as me ( cook, clean, deal with kids that make me crazy) and has adventures ;)
 Just ordered California Demon on bookswap.. so i'll have it soon!

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:49 pm »
there is always michael crichton's Prey and his Congo

very good books though more on the science fiction side

There is no place like /~

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 03:48:08 am »
I read the first one Carpe Demon and thought it was very cute.  I like the Moms aren't brain-dead - life still goes on theme :)  Sometimes i just get sick of only reading about single girls that actually have free time. i know the whole "fantasy" thing is part escape from normality, but it's nice to occasionally read a story where the main character is trying to do the same things as me ( cook, clean, deal with kids that make me crazy) and has adventures ;)
 Just ordered California Demon on bookswap.. so i'll have it soon!

I have the first 3 and have read the first 2, I'm still trying to decide if I like the series or not.  I mean its good when im reading it, I just can't get excited about it..does that make sense?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 08:19:34 am »
Yeah, I've had things like that too.  I'd be bored with say history, in school for 2-3 weeks, then get into it, only to have my chain yanked by the durned class bell.  Happens with books, too.
If you like the 'mom with the usual mess dealing with adventure' thing, & you can put up with her wearing silk & being Very christian, I'll recommend "Princess of Wands" by John Ringo. 
Mom fights assorted demonic nasties, getting her power from her faith.  So does her partner, who's a devote of Freya, as sex goddess!
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.