Author Topic: Book Recommendations?  (Read 72233 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Book Recommendations?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2009, 12:48:54 pm »
Used book store/library.  Charlotte MacLeod.  Any/all.  Mysteries with some romance, light, fun, some little bits of supernatural only in a few.  Also wrote under Alicia Craig, "The Grub and Stakers" and Janet & Madoc Rhys novels. 

Debbie Macomber.
Betty Neels if she hasn't done them already.  They're very formula & British, but not racy.  Nor paranormal, really.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »
Oh, I may be wrong - someone who's read more of them than I have might check for you on this - but I believe the "Elemental Masters" books  by Mercedes Lackey, since they're set in the Victorian Era, may be light enough on sex to pass for her.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 02:20:44 pm »
I would recommend Lisa Marie Rice - shes very similar to early Linda Howard although her books are racey but then I would say the same with some of Linda Howard's early work. Her books are mysteries with really alpha menz - I love her midnight series from Elloras' Cave and think they are best books although she has a few books out with Berkeley. She also writes under the pen name Elizabeth Jennings and the smex is a bit toned down there but has a similar style.

I would also say Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quck are good bets and Nora Roberts.
Another author would Suzanne Enoch's Samantha Jellico series - its kinda similar to JD Robb's In Death series - except this series is set in the presence and the heroine is a cat burgler but they are definitely good fun and its a classic tale of opposites attract of a staid and conservative Lord who is a bazillonaire and the care free and unconventional cat burgler.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 06:56:05 am »
Hmmm...I could only come up with Elizabeth Vaughan's Warprize trilogy: it's a fantasy/romance, so it's not exactly the kind you were looking for, but good nonetheless. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42:03 am »
The Tairen Soul series by C.L Wilson. It's more of a Epic fantasy romance. It's a great series.

Lisa Kleypas is another fab author. She has done a lot of historical romances, though while the sex scenes are hot, they are not too racy.

Anne Stuart is another author who I find good. She has done romance/suspense books. It's called the 'Ice' series.  :)

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »
I just realized that Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles are considered paranormal romance. :) They're not too romance-y, but I think they could do in your case. ;) First one is The Rest Falls Away.
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
Okay, just found out that at least one person among us here didn't realize that there are M*A*S*H books.
First of all, the movie, and then the TV show were adapted from the original book of that title, by one Richard Hooker, more or less autobiographical with fiction elements to protect the innocent/make it less actionable.  O)

Some years afterward, he wrote "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine", in which after Korea, Hawkeye goes home to Crabapple Cove, Maine, and eventually lures Trapper John, Duke, and Spearchucker to live there too.

Some few years after that, I suspect that Mr. Hooker (or Dr. Hooker?) found himself in need of some money, and he ... well the term that comes to mind is "pimped it out" to Pocket book publisher, "Co-writing" with a William E. Butterworth
M*A*S*H goes to:
Hollywood
Las Vegas
London'Miami
Montreal
Morocco
New Orleans
Paris
San Francisco
Texas
Vienna
--and possibly one or two more.  These are very much to formula, with a fair amount of filler material, but they're nice 'brain candy' giggles.

There was another hiatus, and then he alone produced "M*A*S*H Mania", going back to the basics of the gang living and working in "Crabapple Cove" with the eccentric small town residents who are their patients and neighbors.

h2ofall

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »
I had not realized the M*A*S*H was based on a book. How did I miss that? I just found a kindle edition and downloaded it. But, I am going to save reading it until my flight next week; maybe it will take my mind off of the fact that I am terrified of flying.

Thanks for sharing the information.
You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.  ~John Wooden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:18 pm »
Always glad to help.  :)  Did you know that Rene Auberjonais (sic) - Odo from Deep Space Nine - played Father Mulcahy in the movie?  And Gary Burghoff reprises the role of Radar O'Reilly from the movie to the show?

Also, Henry Blake survived in the original; he shows up in "Mania".

h2ofall

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »
I did not know about Rene Auberjonais but I did about Gary Burghoff. I also know that Harry Morgan played a general in the series before he was cast as Potter.
You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.  ~John Wooden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:18 am »
Found a tweet of this: http://www.listchallenges.com/npr-top-100-science-fiction-and-fantasy-books?ref=share

Under it are links for more "top ________ (genre)___________ books" lists.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »
I am surprised at some of the things not on that list. I am also interested in how slanted towards classical fiction I found it. :)

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
It was a few missing IMO, but it seems to have been a process of nomination and voting, so I suppose it also depends on who took part what books end up on the list. There were a lot of Neil Gaiman books though.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 07:55:52 am »
That does sound fun :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy