Author Topic: Book Recommendations?  (Read 69777 times)

readergrl

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Book Recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 08:45:45 am »
I really like Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer series.

If you're looking for a bit of romance mixed in with your urban fantasy, try Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series.

I also enjoyed Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry series as well as Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books.

Sounds like you'll have plenty to keep you occupied for awhile!  ;D

HiddenSparkle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 09:22:13 am »

hey everyone!!

My boyfriend really likes Michael Crichton and has read all of his books. Unfortunately, he won't be getting anymore new material so I was hoping to get some recommendations for him. He likes reading but only if he can really get into the story. He's a science buff but not really into the space travel aspect of a lot of sf books out there. He might be able to take a little bit of magic in a book but not much.

any suggestions?
Celebrate Randomness...

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:03:53 am »
I would think the Preston/Child books will be right up his alley, they have a style that reminds me a lot of Crichton.
Great reading material, although if you read them in a row they begin to sounds remarkable similar one to another...

Relic -  Mostly horror, I think it's been called Jaws in a Museum which isn't to far off. :)
Mount Dragon - A down to earth scientific thriller about a bio-egineered virus.
Riptide - Adventure oriented, about high tech Treasure Hunting
Thunderhead - Adventure oriented, with a bit of mysticism. Deals with the Anasazi legend.

If he likes medical/bio thrillers he should also give Richard Preston's (brother to the above Preston) The Hot Zone, about the true 'Outbreak' events, and the fiction novel The Cobra Event a try.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 11:44:16 am »
Dr. F.Paul Wilson has several books out that would be possible.  In general fiction/horror.  Mostly the "Repairman Jack", but several stand alones.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 11:47:42 am »
I would recommend looking into the Amber Chronicles (The Great Book of Amber) by Roger Zelazny.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 12:11:00 pm »
Spider Robinson's books, especially if he likes puns.  Maybe start him with the "Stardancers".
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 08:00:49 am »
After giving this some thought, I came up with John Connolly's Charlie Parker series, first one is Every dead thing. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

alan

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »
try some Keri Arthur books, not sure if i spelled her name right but the first few were good haven't read the rest yet

HiddenSparkle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 08:03:22 am »

So as an update, I showed The Boy all of your suggestions and here are the ones that he expressed interest in (YAY!!):

Mount Dragon by Douglas Preston (He wants to know if he has to read Relic first. He's willing to read it in order to get to Mount Dragon but he wants to know if it is necessary?)

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
The Cobra Event by Richard Preston

Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (Apparently, he has heard of John Connolly before, he just hasn't looked into him until now)

He only did a cursory look at some of these books and he hasn't gotten to all of them yet, but thanks to all of you for your help. He was actually looking really excited about some of these last night so I've got my fingers crossed that we have some winners!  :D :D
Celebrate Randomness...

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 09:17:46 am »
Relic and Mount Dragon are completly different, with different character sets.
Mount Dragon is self enclosed, but Relic has a follow-up called Reliquary that picks-up a few loose threads, so those are best read in order.
Also one of the main characters of Relic is a recurring character (Agent Pendergast) to a few other of their books (apart from the obvious Reliquary), but I don't know if their is any more cross referencing going on to former stories.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

acread

• Tool Wrangler
  • the local mad scientist
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 12:11:37 pm »
Hi, I just had a friend ask for recommendations for reading material. It's not for her but her MIL. She said the MIL likes Linda Howard and Kay Hooper. I have to admit I haven't read either. Just glanced at some of their book topics. I think I have a sense of what they are writing but I would rather ask anyone who read to help me out with this.

I'm guessing they write romance that is heavy on mystery and maybe with a little paranotmal mixed in there. Is that what it is?

If it is just mystery and romance mix then I was going to suggest maybe later works of Nora Roberts and Sandra Brown. Maybe Iris Johansen.

If it is mostly mystery then maybe Sur Grafton or Patricia Cornwell.

If it is a mix of mystery and paranormal, well of course Patty's work, KA, CE Murphy, Kat Richardson

But what do you think. If you read Linda Howard and Kay Hooper, what do you think will be a good recommendation?
I went through a phase...

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 12:15:16 pm »
Kay Hooper is paranormal suspense/mystery with a romance. I'd suggest some JD Robb, maybe some Iris Johansen, maybe Amanda Quick and her alter ego Jayne Krentz. Hmm, I'll think more.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 12:22:10 pm »
Ok, I had another thought. Both Hooper and Howard wrote romances in their early careers before moving into suspense and romantic suspense. DO you know what period in their careers your friends MIL owns?
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

acread

• Tool Wrangler
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 12:27:33 pm »
Mmm no. I should ask her.

acread

• Tool Wrangler
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 12:33:37 pm »
OK here is what we know: The MIL once said Nora Roberts was too racy yet she didn't make her cancel the order.