Author Topic: Book Recommendations?  (Read 37245 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: Book Recommendations?
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2018, 05:50:55 pm »
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/8-books-will-make-kids-lifelong-readers-sci-fi-fantasy/

Not a bad list, of course, but not what I would have selected for the purpose.  To start with, I'd pick "Archer's Goon" or "The Ogre Downstairs" over HMC from DWJ.

---
http://www.unboundworlds.com/2018/03/lets-get-weird-14-short-story-collections-might-missed/

I like anthologies, you can try new authors without investing too much money or time for that one writer.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2018, 07:16:14 am »
I'd pick Dark Lord of Derkholm myself. I have just finished Eight Days of Luke (ca. 1975) and was very intrigued by the first chapter. Its flavor, if you will, is very similar to that of the first chapter of the Harry Potter series, to the point that I wonder whether it was an influence for JKR.

I have discovered some good authors through anthologies.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2018, 07:23:10 am »
Have you read Year of the Griffin yet?
(by the way, while I love Dark Lord, the reason I suggested those two is that they start out absolutely normal, relatable, everyday scenes that a kid could identify with.)

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2018, 07:53:48 am »
True, and DLOD is a little advanced for intermediate readers who could handle the other two more easily. I have read YOTG as well. I was just a kid who was not much interested in absolutely normal, relatable, everyday scenes.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2018, 08:22:21 am »
I think the first DWJ I read was The Power of Three, although it's been so long ago, and I think I was at least 17 or 18 when I read it, so I'm not typical, and sure not a kid.
But it's kind of like sneaking someone into reading graphic novels or comic books (or the other way around) by interspersing more words with the illustrations, until gradually they're comfortable with none but the cover.
Also, it reminds me of the screwball comedies that I grew up watching on TV.  It seems like a (given it was usually higher income bracket than my family had) normal setting, people, events, and then something goes off and the response is skewed, and it keeps getting less and less like the everyday, and you're sucked joyfully in the aftertow.

Granted, the DWJ books that start like this do have that similarity to most other children's books, where the kids DO NOT TALK TO ADULTS about what's going strange, which is sometimes understandable, and sometimes really stupid and annoying, but it's what we've been trained to expect.  It's one of the reasons I like Ursula Vernon, usually the protagonist, whether a child or an adult, will talk to the other people who are affected, and take help if it's offered. If the adult disbelieves or whatever, THEN they go off on their own to hilarious but usually successful results.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2018, 07:48:13 am »
Missy the Werecat: Book I

When puberty brings on her first Shift, Missy goes into the mountains for two years until finally learning to Change back. She can Change from fully human in one instant to a mountain lion in the next. Everyone assumes her two year disappearance was because she'd been kidnapped by a sexual predator that she managed to kill.  She keeps her werecat nature a secret. There is no pack, no pride of other werecats and no alpha. She's a girl with fantastic abilities growing up and learning to do great things in today's world, amongst humans. She only has her instincts to guide her and those drive her to train herself to extremes. She must control those instincts; dampening the wild predator is often necessary. Her raging hormones and enhanced senses require very strong controls; she explores what happens when those controls are relaxed.

~~Author, P.G. Allison

I found this suggested in my email from Urban Fantasy Book Deals today, and if it's written well, (unlike the were-lynx that someone here was trying to write several years ago...) it could be quite interesting.
The email informs that it's free with Amazon Unlimited, so if you've got that and want to try it, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:13 pm »
That does sound interesting. Alas, like you, I don't have amazon unlimited.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »
Well, it will cost us something to read, but Amazon has the first THREE volumes for kindle, for only $7.99, so that's not bad.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2018, 07:09:54 am »
Elizabeth Crow Retweeted
Laura Jardine/Jackie Lau
‏ @JackieLauBooks
Mar 14

Random things about Grumpy Fake Boyfriend:
*The hero is a science fiction writer.
*The heroine is in an ax-throwing league.
*The heroine has had lots of casual sex, and no one shames her for it.
*There are donuts.
*And Chinese wedding games!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2018, 06:59:04 am »
Scorned by her family.
Banished by her kind.
Hunted by zealots.

Where does an exiled Fairy Queen hide?

A remote mountain cabin, the seedy underbelly of a metropolis, or an uninhabited island. All would be good choices, however, after hundreds of years on the run, the daughter of Oberon, King of the Wild Fairies, signs a binding contract with the zealots that hunt her. In exchange, they allow her to settle down in the last place anyone would look for fairy royalty.

Adopting the name Grace Ann Bryant, the Queen buys a double-wide and moves into a trailer park in the one-horse town of Shady Grove, Alabama. Her contract requires her to lend aid to the local sheriff, Dylan Riggs, when supernatural problems arise.

But when two children go missing, the humans point to the trailer park queen helping the sheriff, and the zealots point at the exiled fairy. Grace must decide whether to fight for her innocence or break her contract returning to life on the run.

Bless Your Heart is a Southern Urban Fantasy that will make you laugh, cry, and laugh until you cry, as Grace wrestles with the dark fairy inside herself and starts to see that she’s more than just trailer trash.

This Box Set contains books 1 through 3: Bless Your Heart, Tinsel in a Tangle and Snake in the Grass, plus a preview of Book 4, Comin' Up a Cloud.

by Kimbra Swain
Free on Kindle Unlimited, $3.99 to buy.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2018, 11:14:39 am »
That sounds promising, if only I had a Kindle.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2018, 11:26:54 am »
You can do kindle app on your computer and read it there.
If you want.  Nice big print that way.