Author Topic: Cultural Anthropology, Mythology, or Archaeology Reads?  (Read 7277 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Cultural Anthropology, Mythology, or Archaeology Reads?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 03:34:52 pm »
You might be interested in The Accidental Asian: Notes from a Native Speaker by Eric Liu

As a second-generation Chinese-American, Eric Liu has grown up with an awkward relationship to race and ethnic identity. He can follow a conversation in Chinese, although he would have problems if he tried to take part in it; as for the written language, he is functionally illiterate. He would be the first person to question which of his personality traits are "Chinese" or "American," "Asian" or "white," or none of the above, and The Accidental Asian is, in fact, a rigorous self-examination--not merely about the costs and benefits of assimilation, but about whether assimilation should even be viewed in those terms.

If I hadn't gotten into graduate school for social psychology, I would've applied for cultural anthropology. I love it.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
As for mythology, I'm assuming you've read Joseph Campbell, but if not, you might start with The Power of Myth. My favorite of his, though, is Transformations of Myth Through Time

Some non-Campbell favs:
Phil Cousineau's Once and Future Myths: The Power of Ancient Stories in Our Lives and The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred
David Leeming's Myth: A Biography of Belief
Karen Armstrong's A Short History of Myth
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Gimpy Cat

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 02:10:23 am »
Dee Brown was very popular years ago, native american histories, titles such as Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and Creek Marys Blood come to mind. Not sure if its what your looking for, his name popped into my head when I read your post

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 06:02:24 am »
That looks interesting. What also is interesting to me is that the woman in the photo has pretty decent facial structure. I suspect that in her younger days, when smiling, she was probably a knockout. It reminds me of the title THE UGLY AMERICAN in its subjectivity.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:29 am »
Starting 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline.
https://www.amazon.com/1177-B-C-Civilization

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 10:35:11 pm »
Reminds me of some of the things my mother put in her master's thesis in the 70s. Her main point was steriotyping.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 11:37:52 am »
Reminds me of an occasion in high school I have been pondering lately. My family was friendly with a family whose kids went to the same parochial school we did, and the daughter went to the same high school I did, but the sons went to a different one (both high schools being Catholic). The daughter, two years younger than I, was going to a mixer at our high school. I was not. The eldest son, a year older than I, was to drive the daughter and her date. Our moms, possibly meaning my mom, decided that I should go to the mixer with the son "so that he [didn't] have to sit around all night waiting for Julie." He was an OK guy, decent looking, but I didn't know him well and had zero interest. Nevertheless, my mom.

So we go to the mixer, and it's fine, and we stop at the local ice cream parlor on the way home, which happens to be literally next door to the local pet shop at which I work. Everyone knows this. We have our sundaes, and we are pretty much closing out the joint, when the eldest son crumples up his napkin and throws it over his shoulder onto the floor behind him, with the owner/manager observing his every move. So I get up, retrieve the napkin, throw it away, and remind them that I work literally next door, and I come into this shop on a regular if not daily basis.

At the time, having three younger brothers, I put it down to normal teenaged a$$holery*. But I have been thinking about this a lot lately. First, I can't imagine a female of the same age doing the same thing, then or now. I guess it could happen, but females know on any number of levels that someone is going to have to clean that up, and that the someone will most likely be female. Second, a non-Caucasian male who did that would do so only on his way out the door, because cops would quite likely be called on him in most venues. Eldest Son**, after throwing the napkin down, was quite content to continue sitting there until the spirit should move him to leave. 

That is my little musing for the day on cultural anthropology.

*I'm pretty sure my two youngest brothers would not have done this, and probably not the oldest one either, but can't guarantee it. And I am very well aware that guys of that age will do dumba$$ stuff that would never in a million years occur to most females.

**Eldest Son, in later years, spent decades as headmaster of his alma mater. Make of that what you will.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:44:58 am by pondhawk »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 08:09:44 pm »
I enjoyed that!

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »
Interesting takes.