Author Topic: Book Recommendations?  (Read 45812 times)

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
Book Recommendations?
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:31:20 pm »
Alright, my husband is gone all week for work and I need a few excellent books to keep me company.  I can never sleep with him gone, even if I tuck both my kids and the dogs in bed with me.  Sometimes I think I’m so pathetic … then again, maybe I can blame all my phobias on my detective brother who tells me all the evils that people truly do to each other. 

So, what are your favorite books?  Books that you simply could not put down from start to finish?  While Urban Fantasy is my favorite genre , I explore all genres for a truly good book.

tmpinsnty

• Grease Monkey
Re: Book Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:02:23 pm »
for a good all nighter--- Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart...nice big thick book...this is a fantasy novel but based on Earth without magical creatures (fairies, orcs, dragons)... i loved this series
Karen Chance's Touch the Dark and Claimed by the Dark
Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series
Elaine Cunningham's Books...

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:04:33 pm »
Connie Willis, To Say Nothing of the Dog - it's a hoot
Barbara Hambly - pretty much anything, although I have a sneaking fondness for the Windrose Chronicles series (The Silent Tower, The Silicon Mage, and Dog Wizard), and the Darwath Trilogy, and she has some good mysteries, too
C.J. Cherryh - also anything - the Morgaine saga is really good, starts with Gate of Ivrel, and the Faded Sun trilogy
Charles De Lint - absolutely anything - maybe Someplace to be Flying
Patricia Briggs, obviously

Um.  That's all I can come up with off the top of my head, although looking at it, it's proably more than enough, huh?   ;)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:16:28 pm »
By the Sword, Mercedes Lackey, stayed up to 4 am with it.
Lee & Miller's Liadan universe books
Terry Pratchett for almost unrelieved humor wrapped around truths.
Georgette Heyer regency romances, no smut if the kids ask you to read to them or let them see.
Diane Duane
Dianna Wynne Jones
Oh, and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, & the semi sequel The Diamond Age.
I like YK from Crash.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:00:33 pm by Patti L. »
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:16:44 pm »
Well, if you love urban fantasy, check out my list of excellent urban fantasy series.
http://www.amazon.com/The-best-urban-fantasy-series/lm/RG45BWURNUDAV/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full/105-7875322-5289239
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:22:02 pm »
Thanks so much for the recommendations!  I’ve read about half of the suggested books, but the other half look great!  I finished the book I was reading last night and am on my way to B&N tonight.

Well, if you love urban fantasy, check out my list of excellent urban fantasy series.
http://www.amazon.com/The-best-urban-fantasy-series/lm/RG45BWURNUDAV/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full/105-7875322-5289239
The funny thing about your list is that I’ve read all but two of them (well those two are actually series).  My local B&N doesn't carry Charlaine Harris’ Harper Connelly Mysteries and I haven’t read Wen Spencer’s Ukiah Oregon Novels yet, although I loved her Tinker series. What can I say?  I think you have excellent taste in fiction. 

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:53:04 am »
Dennis Lehane's "Kenzie&Gennaro" series (A drink before the war, Darkness take my hand, Sacred, Gone baby gone, Prayers for rain) or Mystic River.
Kit Whitfield "Benighted".
Warwick Collins "F-Woman".
Stephen Woodworth "Violet" series (Through Violet Eyes, With Red Hands, In Golden Blood, From Black Rooms).
Charlaine Harris "Southern Vampire series", the Lily Bard series and the Harper Connelly one.
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

Oh, heck, I could go on and on and on... ::)

And if you want something that will keep you busy for a while, Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy...aaaah, loved that one, I'm still recovering from it ;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 01:10:40 pm »
The funny thing about your list is that I’ve read all but two of them (well those two are actually series).  My local B&N doesn't carry Charlaine Harris’ Harper Connelly Mysteries and I haven’t read Wen Spencer’s Ukiah Oregon Novels yet, although I loved her Tinker series. What can I say?  I think you have excellent taste in fiction. 
Why thanks - obviously you have excellent taste, too!

You should try Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosigan" series. Or her "Sharing Knife" series, or her "Chalion" series. The latter two are fantasy, while the Vorkosigan series is scifi. All are truly excellent, though. The Vorkosigan series starts with Cordelia's Honor, which is actually a compilation of the first two books. After that, the series follows their son, Miles. Just search for "The Vorkosigan Saga" on Amazon.com. I believe she won at least one, if not two, Hugo awards with this series.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 02:53:17 pm »
And there are 2 side volumes.  "Falling Free" takes place a couple of hundred years earlier in the Vorkosigan universe, & "Ethan of Athos" involves Elli Quin from the Dendarii Free Mercenaries.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 06:11:43 pm »
of course patty's books are a must, other than that i like grimms fairy tales and harry potter books are good long reads too

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:00:45 am »
Dennis Lehane's "Kenzie&Gennaro" series (A drink before the war, Darkness take my hand, Sacred, Gone baby gone, Prayers for rain) or Mystic River.

Okay, I have to say this for Gwendolynn.  I love Dennis Lehane's books, he's a great writer, plus he's a local boy, but I have to give you fair warning - if you have kids, and those children in peril things affect you, Gone Baby Gone and (especially) Mystic River are a little harrowing.  Mostly because he is such a great writer. 

I never used to mind these things in quite the same way in the pre-kids days, but now they're somehow even more upsetting. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:06:20 am by Ellyl »
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 08:09:26 pm »
Just read a short story collection, "Furry Fantastic", lots of fun animal stories.  Even the darkest ones didn't make me feel grim.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 09:01:13 pm »
Do you know the editors name? (So I can find it easier?)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 09:09:29 pm »
Jean Rabe (I believe she's writing a series about the 'Finest', a kind of super intelligent/angelic horses) and Brian M. Thomsen.
ISBN 0756403812

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:28:19 am »
Just read a short story collection, "Furry Fantastic", lots of fun animal stories.  Even the darkest ones didn't make me feel grim.

Patti was there an Elizabeth Vaughan short story in there? - I love her books. But I wasn't sure to get it- did you enjoy it, I might get it now. I am not a fan of anthologies unless they feature must buy authors.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D