Author Topic: Ebook problems and Ebook/Audio Pricing Issues.  (Read 4676 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Ebook problems and Ebook/Audio Pricing Issues.
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:21 am »
DRM continues to be a thorn in the side of consumers  >:(   However, sellers are convinced that without it distribution cannot be controlled.  Sadly, there's a grain of truth to their fears, but it puts honest consumers between the proverbial rock and a hard place.  If you trust the nice corporation, and buy DRM'd materials, they may suddenly disappear when you upgrade your hardware, move to a new device, or the company folds.  If you go looking for the nice, dependable, pirate version you suffer moral anguish and possibly pick up the nice trojan or virus that came with the content.  The consumer loses either way.

I just want to point out that Patty's not unsympathetic, but that the DRM war is a MUCH bigger battle than she can do much about.  Her books are being released in electronic formats by the publisher, who uses DRM-enabled (or is that infected?) formats.  Hopefully in a few years that will change, or some better technical solution will be found.

There's another discussion of e-readers (with some DRM related rants) here:
http://hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=549.0

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:23:03 pm by Elle »
Where's my super-suit?

Jubilie

• Tool Wrangler
Ebook and Audiobook pricing questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:23:44 am »
I was very excited that the new Mercy book was being released today, I went 'running' over to Amazon a little after midnight. But when I saw the price for Kindle version I stopped... the Kindle version is only $0.90 less than the hardcover. I know you don't set the price, your publisher does, but do you by chance know why they priced the Kindle version on par with the hardcover? I normally only 'save' a couple bucks over the Paperback price, I can't believe they priced it only 90c less than hardcover...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:52:41 pm by Elle »