Author Topic: Terry Brooks  (Read 6069 times)

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
Terry Brooks
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »
It seemed a good place to put him. I like his landover series which is about a man who is ready to die than to continue living. His wife had died the prior year and he got one of her christmas catalogs - and that is how the adventure starts. He has taken a long time to write these books and he actually stopped - there is a good 15 year gap from his last ones and the one he just released. Princess of Landover.
The other series he did is the Shanara series and I recommend those are read in order. These books have demons, fairy, dwarves and all kind of magical folks - I believe he is one of the ones inspired by the JR Tolkien books, but still they are a great read if you like fantasy stuff.

Ok for those who don't know Terry Brooks he writes fantasy books - usually along a JR Tolkien type story. He has written along three different sets of books that I am aware of which are the Shanara book series, the Land over series and a series called Angels and Demons. I have read all of the Landover books which include Landover for sale sold, Witches Brew, Tangle Box, Princess of Landover - just starting it, and there is one more the second one Black Unicorn, knew I would remeber it while I did this. He also did the Shanara books and those have several different sets like the Voyages of Shanara, Druids of Shanara ect. I haven't not finished that line yet, but those books are in sets of 3 and I have finished the first 2. My favorite is the Shanara set so far, but I liked the landover series I just wasn't sure the author was adding to it. As far as I know he does not have any other pens names to put in here. Feel free to share which books were your favorites.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:37:17 pm by ironkitten »
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Terry Brooks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:20:29 pm »
Well, I'm certainly flabbergasted not to see a thread for him already.  Possibly the area mods will want to move this to "Speculative Fiction", though.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:37:07 am »
One of the area mods, does, thanks.  LOL
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:05 pm »
Ya I was surprised but hey.  I didn't see one for Margret Wiess either - would she be speculative as well?
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:23:04 pm »
You mean Margaret Weis, right? 

If so, yes, she would be.  :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »
Yep, Sorry I probably butchered her name.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:41 pm »
It seemed a good place to put him. I like his landover series which is about a man who is ready to die than to continue living. His wife had died the prior year and he got one of her christmas catalogs - and that is how the adventure starts. He has taken a long time to write these books and he actually stopped - there is a good 15 year gap from his last ones and the one he just released. Princess of Landover.
The other series he did is the Shanara series and I recommend those are read in order. These books have demons, fairy, dwarves and all kind of magical folks - I believe he is one of the ones inspired by the JR Tolkien books, but still they are a great read if you like fantasy stuff.

He may have taken a break in between Landover books but he didn't stop writing. He has quite a backlist of books now. The newest Shannara book, Bearers of the Black Staff, comes out in August. He has a website, http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels/index.html
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:36:07 pm »
Oh I know he didn't stop writing and I have his site bookmarked. I had hoped they would do a movie though. Although I wasn't happy about the Shanara being animated when the Landover would have been live action. Anyway so much for that. I haven't been there lately. I think last fall - he hasn't exactly been putting books out every year. I do like his work though.