Author Topic: Neil Gaiman  (Read 20537 times)

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
Neil Gaiman
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:52:33 pm »
I'm in the middle of American Gods, and this book is fantastic!  I love the fact that it's combining mythologies and I've been able to recognize a few gods or two! :D

One of the reasons I'm enjoying this books is there are sentences and phrases that ring true and are so well written.  I wish I could write like that! I'd read some Sandman growing up, but I'm liking this book better. 

Anyone else a Gaiman fan, and if so, which would you recommend I read next?
Don't let the muggles get you down.
-Ron Weasley

celeber

• Tool Wrangler
    • Cerulean Siren
Re: Neil Gaiman
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:57:29 am »
I'm reading this book right now. Well, I actually set it aside until I finish my beautiful arc of Iron Kissed.
I am not very far into the book but it is twisted, dark and full of myths and legends. I love it so far!
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. ~ Anonymous

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:38:42 pm »
I haven't gotten into Gaiman except his graphics EXCEPT for the one he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett, 'Good Omens'.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:53:44 pm »
:: adores Gaiman ::  ^_^  Funny thing about American Gods, EVERY time I re-read that book, I meet someone who's been to the House on a Rock.  Very very strange effect.  o_O 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenglows

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 06:52:54 pm »
American Gods is the only Gaiman book I've read and i really enjoyed it.  I keep thinking about picking up Good Omens because I really like Prachett, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 08:42:15 pm »
Do.  Or, you might want to wait.  They're talking about a movie from it, and my advice with regard to those is that it's usually better to see the movie first, then the book expands what the movie showed you.  If you do it the other way around, the movie is usually a disappointment.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:53:30 pm »
I've passed him by time and time again ... but I've just put American Gods up on my wishlist on paperbackswap.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kaze

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 10:01:10 am »
I love this guy.  Stardust, Neverwhere and American Gods are incredible. 

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 10:09:34 am »
Yep, his imagery is amazing.  I wound up reading a sandman short story and afterwards I had trouble remembering that it wasn't a comic!
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Samtpfötchen

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 03:35:57 am »
Gaiman is definitely a very talented author. Beside Sandman he wrote a lot of other good comics too (Black Orchid, Books of Magic, Death: The High Cost of Living, Wolves in the Walls, .... to name just a few), made some Audio tapes of his work and wrote for the Movie business.

I can recommend reading Neverwhere. The book had this strange dreamlike experience to me, like "it cant be true, this is just fiction" but on the other hand I wasn't too sure that if I climbed an airplane and got out in London, I wouldn't find what was described in the book.
I think that this is something Gaiman's really good at: telling tales which on the surface seem like child tales, though if you give in to them you really enjoy discovering a whole new world. And while you're at it the idea of reading more about greek or egypt mythology becomes more and more interesting.

Anyway read Neverwhere. Or Stardust. Or Caroline. Or ...
Well you get my meaning. :)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 06:28:44 am »
Or American Gods!   :D 

Devstorm

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 05:35:33 pm »
I loved American Gods and intend to someday get Neverwhere. The man can write, bringing gods and legends to life in a way that makes them seem very...well, alive, even human.

I like the way he blends mythos and reality into a tale worth the reading. I definitely can recommend American Gods.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:43:31 am »
Neil Gaiman, I have to read his Stardust, the movie was wonderful. So far I think I only read Wolves in the Walls by him, which is a great story but with terrible artwork (well, with artwork that ain't to my liking anyways. :))

But whenever I read that name I have a Marvel moment (I think it was in one of the new Excalibur issues):
"Gayman? A superhero who's power...?"
It's a terrible joke, but I couldn't help laughing when I read that.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 04:23:08 pm »
I think that belongs in here for the Gaiman fans:

Free audio story written and read by himself clicky

50min./68mb !

A free Zombie short story:
http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/09/bitter-grounds
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:46:12 am by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 05:52:58 pm »
he came and gave a lecture at MIT today.  it was completely awesome and funny