Author Topic: Heavy Reads  (Read 9414 times)

wizardbear

• Mechanic
Re: Heavy Reads
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:56 am »
I know this won't help the Original Poster, too late, but anyone looking for some heavy fantasy could try these:

Sean Russell - some fantasy sets, nice thick books, very complex worlds, very good:

Initiate Brother:
The series is laid in a fantasy empire combining aspects of China and Japan
Vol. 1: The Initiate Brother
Vol. 2: Gatherer of Clouds

Moontide and Magic Rise:
Vol. 1: World Without End
Vol. 2: Sea Without a Shore

The River into Darkness:
This fantasy duology is a prequel to the "Moontide and Magic Rise" duology.
Vol. 1: Beneath the Vaulted Hills
Vol. 2: The Compass of the Soul

Swans' War:
Vol. 1: The One Kingdom
Vol. 2: The Isle of Battle
Vol. 3: The Shadow Roads

Michelle West (who also writes as Michelle  Sagara)

The Sacred Hunt:
(as Michelle West, DAW Books)
Hunter's Oath
Hunter's Death

The Sun Sword:
This is set in the same universe as The Sacred Hunt, but sixteen years later. Most of the events take place in the Empire of Essalieyan and the Dominion of Annagar (the Breodani play a minimal role). Events laid out in The Sacred Hunt are referenced, but are not necessary to understand the novels.
The Broken Crown
The Uncrowned King
The Shining Court
Sea of Sorrows
The Riven Shield
The Sun Sword

House War:
Set in the same universe as The Sacred Hunt and The Sun Sword, House War chronicles the story of Jewel and House Terafin. Regarding the number of volumes, the author suggests at least five.(ongoing series)

The first three novels discover the origin of Jewel and her Den. They also revisit some of the narrative from Hunter's Death, though told from different (and complimentary) character perspectives.
The Hidden City: A Novel of the House War, Book 1
City of Night: A Novel of the House War, Book 2
House Name: A Novel of the House War, Book 3

Skirmish: A Novel of the House War, Book 4 (tentative title, no idea when it will be out)

It is not necessary to read either The Sun Sword or The Sacred Hunt series to follow the House War storyline. However, the concluding volumes (beginning with Skirmish) will pick up Jewel's thread following events of The Sun Sword.

All of these books together form a huge, very complex magical world, with plot lines running back and forth. I read them in publication order (haven't read the newest one yet) and the wait between books was agonizing. Try very hard to get a whole set, if you can, before you wade into them. Or at least each sub-segment.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:57:01 am by wizardbear »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 01:53:15 am »
Deborah E. Harkness has a series that I merely started but couldn't keep reading. Intriguing story line, interesting characters, but I couldn't get into her writing.
A Discovery of Witches
Shadow of Night
The Book of Life
Another series with the same reaction from me, by Patrick Rofthuss, with two novels and a novella so far:
The Name of the Wind
The Wise Man's Fear
'The Slow Regard of Silent Things' is a companion story to the main, uncompleted trilogy.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 10:38:08 am »
Reading these books affirmed why I read romance. Women’s feelings matter. And yet, the entire world tells us that our feelings are silly and inconsequential. In romance, I know that a heroine’s inner world will be treated with dignity and respect. No matter how raw, volatile, or ugly her feelings, there is a place for her in romance. Loving ourselves, our family, or our partners helps us to face even the most terrible tragedies. In our moments of most profound sorrow and loss, especially for a child, may all of us find solace in the arms of the ones we love.

http://www.tbqsbookpalace.com/2018/02/lets-talk-miscarriages-in-romance.html
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 10:53:55 am »
Very thoughtful article.