Author Topic: JEAN MARIE AUEL  (Read 9101 times)

Mary

• Grease Monkey
    • blog
JEAN MARIE AUEL
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:05:53 am »
I post this topic here because she doesn't write exaclty about paranormal, even if the protagonist of her book, Ayla, has some paranormal trait, she has visions and such.
None the less her books are very beautiful so I want to talk about them:

Earth's Children series
1. The Clan of the Cave Bear (1980)
2. The Valley of Horses (1982)
3. The Mammoth Hunters (1985)
4. The Plains of Passage (1990)
5. The Shelters of Stone (2002)

If you love Diane Gabaldon charcter Jamie, you will also love, Auel character Giondalar, a very handsome man who makes everywoman crazy.

here is a summary of the second book of the series:The story is set 35,000 years ago when two kinds of human beings, Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, shared the Earth. Ayla (a baby cro magnon), was adopted by a group of Neanderthals. But she was too different from them, and when she reach adulthood she is cast away from the only home she has ever known, so in this second novel of the Earth's Children saga, Ayla, is sets out solo into a world far from friendly.
She is in search of others humans like herself...and in search of love.
Driven by energies she scarcely understands, she explores where the clan never dared to travel. In a hidden valley, she finds not only a herd of steppe horses, but also a unique kinship with animals as vulnerable as herself.
Still, nothing prepares her for the emotional turmoil she feels when she rescues a young man, Jondalar -- the first of the Others she has seen -- from almost certain death.

to read is to change

Nifty

• Mechanic
Re: JEAN MARIE AUEL
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:04:25 am »
I loved Clan of the Cave Bear when I first read it back in the 80s.  Then I read Valley of the Horses and liked it up until the end, when Jondolar appeared.  To me, it felt like all that happened from that point onward was that Ayla and Jondolar had sex.  I tried to read The Mammoth Hunters, and there were parts of it I liked, but again, the sex got in the way for me and I stopped reading it.  Haven't read the others in the series.

I DID love the history, and loved reading about how they made stuff.  Always thought that was fascinating.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Mary

• Grease Monkey
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:16 am »
You should really read her last book Shelters of stones , where she describe the clan of Giondolara, we know his parents ecc....
to read is to change

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:52:51 pm »
I like these books very much, there's too much smut, but the plots and descriptions are very vivid and detailed.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:10 pm »
I really enjoyed the first three, but there was sooo much sex in the fourth that I didn't bother getting the fifth.  And that's from someone who reads alot of romance.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:41:43 pm »
Really? I've read all five, except the middle of 3. ^^; Five had less smut if I remember correctly, and shows the main character had a sense of humor.

Mary

• Grease Monkey
    • blog
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 02:34:34 am »
It's true, the fifth book of the series is the best of all, more complex and rich of characters
to read is to change

acread

• Tool Wrangler
  • the local mad scientist
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 05:43:48 pm »
Is she ever going to publish the 6th book? I really enjoyed this series and really would like to read the last installment before I forget what it was all about. Although stuff gets repeated several times in the books so I guess I won't have to worry about that too much.
I went through a phase...

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 11:20:12 am »
I enjoy this series also, but I think if she cuts out half of the unnecessary details, it would be so much easier to read.

Does anybody know when the new book will be released. I don't think it will ever be released personally.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »
I have to agree that I enjoyed the first two books, saw the writing in the furs in the third book and lost interest.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

acread

• Tool Wrangler
  • the local mad scientist
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:56 am »
It's been a while since I read these books. So I guess at this stage I won't mind the reminders. (maybe they could be less like once reminder of one situation.)  :D

I actually enjoyed the fur stuff. Like reading a documentaty at times. All kinds of info. Guess tastes varry.
I went through a phase...

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 12:21:20 pm »
I actually enjoyed the fur stuff. Like reading a documentaty at times.

I loved that stuff.  That was my favorite.  I remember reading one scene that showed us how they made white leather (they soaked the hide for days in urine, and the ammonia from the urine bleached the hide).  I thought that stuff was fascinating.

I just got bored with the sex.  I was 13 or 14 the first time I read Clan of the Cave Bear, then read Valley of Horses when I was 15, I think.  My father was reading the books at the same time, and I read Valley of Horses first, then he read it.  I remember that after he read it, he gave me a very stern look and said he'd probably not have let me read it if he'd read it first (because of the sexual content at the end).

Is the series not finished yet?  She STILL has another book to write?  Whoa!  And I thought Gabaldon was taking too long with the Outlander series!
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:33 pm »
I have to agree that I enjoyed the first two books, saw the writing in the furs in the third book and lost interest.

I should have been more clear. I enjoyed the speculation of how they did things.  It was the repetitive and unimaginative sex that turned me off.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

CarolKat

• Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 07:40:19 am »
Her latest in this series came out March 29, 2011

The Land of Painted Caves.  Just got it for my Kindle.  bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:32:03 am »
CK, thanks for the update!  I liked book 5 enough to want to read the last book.
Find what you love and do it!