Author Topic: Shared Worlds, Varied Authors  (Read 9157 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Shared Worlds, Varied Authors
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:20 pm »
So, we were talking about the Thieves World books.

I think there is an introduction in the first one (I could run down to the garage library & check if anyone wants precision) that says that some of the people writing in it were sitting around gaming, and someone complained that they would love to see some crossover fiction that can't happen for various reasons, and participate in it.  What if, for instance, Conan walked into Lankhmer with his saddle over his shoulder, and ran smack into a scene with Fafherd & the Gray Mouser trying to outrun a mob, possibly led by Jirel of Joiry?

So they decided to build a world meant to be shared, with a geography, a set of gods and magical systems, and certain characters who would be in common.  One person, for instance, might write a story from Lythande's point of view, and it would look different from what happened when Tempus told it, because of all the issues that make "eyewitness" testimony so difficult.  Also, things like the need for a hiresword to boost his or her own prowess in telling a story would change the emphasis of it.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Janilee

Re: Shared Worlds, Varied Authors
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:20:16 pm »
It has been 20 years since I read them. I enjoyed the randomness of the perspective. It was the first time I'd seen anything like it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:27:12 pm »
Yes, and some of the stories I liked a lot, especially about the artist who was "cursed".  But barring one story that entirely creeps me out, I much prefer the "Liavek" shared world series.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:28:45 pm »
That was the Steven Brust/Emma Bull/Will Shetterley/etc. crowd, wasn't it?
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Janilee

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »
I don't remember them doing it, but I haven't read them in years. And I was on the look out for Steven Brust stories.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:37:13 pm »
I think they did the Liavek series.  There was a whole slew of authors about that time from Minnesota who were all in one group.  Those three, plus....  Pamela Dean, I think, and maybe Patricia Wrede, and some others I can't remember (I may be wrong about Patricia Wrede).  I really am not certain that they did the Liavek series, though; I might be thinking of another series, or another group of authors.

C. J. Cherryh did Merovingian Nights as a shared world, and I like that one a lot.  A city like Venice.   :)

highcountryrider

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »
<snip>C. J. Cherryh did Merovingian Nights as a shared world, and I like that one a lot.  A city like Venice.   :)

That's the one I was trying to remember. I liked it, but didn't see much written for it.  :(

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »
I don't think it became as many books.  I may have some of those kicking around, too. 

Boy, this next month of cleaning/decluttering is going to be like a treasure hunt, now that I think of it.   LOL

Janilee

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:42:26 pm »
I liked the Merovingian Nights as well. There were only two or three of them.  Mercedes Lackey took two of her characters from that series and scrubbed them up for a series she did with Eric Flint and Dave Freer

I know Pamela Dean and Steven Brust were part of the group that rewrote Fairy tales as novels. I learned of Pamela Dean from her Tam Lin.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:44:04 pm »
I loved that version of Tam Lin.  And she had a couple of other books, like (I think?)  The Hidden Hills, that were really good.

Terri Windling was the driving force behind a lot of those rewritten fairy tales.  They turned out some great books.

Janilee

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 04:49:30 pm »
I liked the Merovingian Nights as well. There were only two or three of them.  Mercedes Lackey took two of her characters from that series and scrubbed them up for a series she did with Eric Flint and Dave Freer

I know Pamela Dean and Steven Brust were part of the group that rewrote Fairy tales as novels. I learned of Pamela Dean from her Tam Lin.

I was mistaken I just looked at Amazon. There were five of the Merovingian Nights books. 9)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »
Yes, Liavek was Shetterly, Bull, Wrede, and a few others.  Much more lighthearted; you can tell by the fact that they included a god who is a blue chipmunk. :)

I've got a filk album that includes 2 M. Lackey Merovingian songs.

Janilee

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »
There was another short lived shared anthology that came out just a little later than those, The Crafters by Christopher Stasheff and Bill Fawcett.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »
I've got one of those volumes sitting around waiting to be read now.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:58:37 pm »
I never saw that one.  Maybe I should try to find it somewhere.  Was it good?   What was it about?