Author Topic: Tamora Pierce  (Read 51838 times)

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Tamora Pierce
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2018, 11:08:58 am »
Yes, that amulet is very convenient for the physical consequences. The social consequences, e.g. locker room talk and general gossip, are another matter. People do notice things and when they do, they talk about them, not necessarily in a good way.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:26 pm »
That got mentioned, at least a little, in Protector of the Small. I can see why she wrote less about that though.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2018, 07:16:09 pm »
Ke's mom talks with her about why the aristocrats insist on virgin brides, and decries how it's not as useful/smart as what the middle classes do.

None of it addresses STDs though.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing!

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2018, 07:15:31 am »
Heck, I didn't realize that was out yet! Not buying more books this week, though. The budget still has to recover from Tuesday.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2018, 09:24:00 am »
I actually found the Lioness series a bit troubling that way. There seemed to be zero consequences for Alanna's sexual adventures. That's not the way it works even today for most girls who have sex at that age. The consequences are not always dire IRL, but the quasi-medieval society in the books seems way more evolved than our modern one on that subject. Granted that this is a fantasy world, it just struck an off note for me in a series marketed for middle-schoolers. Of course, I have now started rereading that series for about the sixth time, so obviously it doesn't ruin them for me. If I had kids reading them, though, I would make sure to discuss the books with them.

A couple of things about this;
First, Alana's mother died, making her & Thom's father very distant, and he sent them away before they were near puberty.  He expected the Mithran priests to give The Talk or sex ed to Alana, and Thom to get it as part of his knight training, whether in a formal manner (that doesn't seem to be part of the curriculum, and I think they should add it) or through his sponsor teaching him, or other presumably older boys, or his knight-master when he became a squire.
In other words, Alana didn't have any parent to talk with her about it. She was young enough when she left that Maude wouldn't have talked to her about it yet.  The twins were ten, what ten year old wants to hear about sex?

Once she started menstruation, George took her to his mom, who was both a priestess of the Goddess, and a healer.  Her education should have been pretty thorough.

With regard to Alana's actual sexual activities as a squire, that was all secret between her & Jon, since she was still masquerading as a boy. After she became a knight, she was mostly not around people who would have slut-shamed her.

Now, when Kel started her training, she still had her mother where she could consult her, and that woman has common sense leaking out her pores.  She talked with Kel about it early.  Kel also spent 6/10 of her first 10 years in the Yemani Islands, where same sex liaisons were accepted, but since she wasn't dealing with that - nobody thought to accuse her and Liasa, her maid, of that - her mom had warned her about how she'd be called names and slut-shamed if she went into knight training.  Kel handled it, it was her friends who caused a riot that damaged the stables! :D
And, in fact, at the end of the Protector of the Small quartet, she's still a virgin.

I do think that the haMinch head of knight training does need to incorporate some sex ed into the curriculum, and shove in some "and is it knightly/chivalrous to throw sexual insults at your co-pages and squires, and knights?  So don't do it, or there will be consequences for you."